Anyone Use Tracfone?

Bob_Smith

Full time employment: Posting here.
I just bought a Tracfone to use for emergencies. I noticed that existing users can refer new users and each party gets 100 free minutes (~$30.00). I haven't activated mine yet, so if anyone wants to refer me, send an instant message with your email address and I'll email you with mine. Details of their offer:

http://www.tracfone.com/safc.jsp?task=promo&bid=60

I also have a Tracfone that I normally leave in the car. Their best deal is to get one of their refurbished phones with a 1 year service and 250+ minutes of airtime. (They often run promotions of an extra 100 minutes airtime on top of their standard 150 minute/1 year option.)

Overall I've found it works great--it uses the Verizon network, and I've used it all around the country--CA, FL, MA, RI--without ever a problem.

Overall costs about $8 per month (NO other taxes or fees), and I have yet to use up all the minutes in the 1 year period. So, I just buy another 1 year card/250 minutes each year, and the leftover minutes roll over. I've got about 800 minutes on my phone now!

I've had a TracFone for over a year and it works great. There is no monthly service charge and all you pay for is the phone and prepaid minutes. With my annual prepaid card, I think my annual cost is $95 for 350 minutes. For the most part, I only use it for necessary phone calls that only last a minute or two and barely use 20 minutes a month on average. Is there any phone service that's better out there?

A friend of mine uses Tracfone and he likes it. However, I think I get at least as good a deal with T-Mobile. I pay $25 for 100 minutes that are good for 90 days and that roll over as long as you keep the account activated. After paying a total of $250 for minutes (which will take me about 2.5 years at the pace I'm going) you hit "gold status" and then get a bonus 50 minutes with each $25 minute purchase for a total of 150 minutes. If you want more minutes at a time then it is cheaper per minute - $50 for 250 minutes (375 after gold status) or $100 for 665 minutes (1000 after gold status).

I'm not sure what the phone selection is like with Tracfone but with T-Mobile I get a pretty big selection. I've got a small Motorolla phone which is tri-band GSM (means that I can use it in other countries), T-Mobile will unlock the phone after 90 days (means that I can take it to other carriers even in other countries if I wish - good for trips - buy a SIM card), the phone connects up to my computer and I download my address book with all my phone numbers, etc.

http://www.t-mobile.com/prepaid/rates.asp

Thanks for the responses and for offers to refer me. I bought the Tracfone yesterday at Sam's Club. It comes with a Motorola phone, 1 year of service, and 20 minutes of air-time (assuming you sign up online). Cost was $59.95 plus tax. With the 100 additional minutes based on the referral, I'll have all I need for a year for ~$60.00.

Back
Top Bottom