Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone use Wi-Fi Calling with their mobile device?
Old 11-21-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone use Wi-Fi Calling with their mobile device?

Just moved to an area with brutal cell strength. Almost non-existent. Will be in the middle of a call, and the other person will say they can't understand what we're saying. This assumes the call doesn't drop out completely, which is often. Drive a mile or two closer to civilization, and all is good.

We have cell phones that are capable of Wi-Fi Calling, and AT&T supports them. Yet, I can't get the feature to activate. Already talked with AT&T twice, with no solution. What am I missing here?

statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2018, 11:09 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use Google Voice in conjunction with Hangouts to WiFi call. Generally I use my desktop, but I also have it on my cell phone. Not convenient, especially to receive a call. https://support.google.com/hangouts/...DAndroid&hl=en

Old 11-22-2018, 02:46 AM   #3
Administrator

I used to use WiFi calling with AT&T when we lived in the USA and it worked great. Whenever in good WiFi it defaulted to using it for phone calls. Wonderful for traveling overseas (or in Canada).

Our provider here in England also has this feature.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:33 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
We have cell phones that are capable of Wi-Fi Calling, and AT&T supports them. Yet, I can't get the feature to activate. Already talked with AT&T twice, with no solution. What am I missing here?
Did you get these phones from AT&T or directly from the manufacturer for the AT&T network, or are they unlocked third party phones? We also have bad cell reception at home and rely on WiFi calling, and when I first set it up I read that Verizon and AT&T had numerous issues with generic unlocked phones.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:38 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Absolutely! Been using it for years.

WiFi calling solved a serious cell signal quality problem for us at home. It also let us switch to a preferred provider who supported WiFi calling sooner than our then provider. Amazing turnaround.

I used to have to be at the back of the house to receive calls on my simple flip phone, which would still often drop or become unintelligible. Or even step out into the back yard. DH’s smart phone was almost hopeless. Those problems completely went away.

It also makes calls to/from US free when we are out of country in all the countries we have traveled so far.

We switched from Verizon to T-mobile. DH may have had to call in to get it turned on on his initial phone which he had ordered as a T-mobile phone but bought from Apple. Later iPhone models we got it worked immediately. Have you gone by a store to have them try to make it work?
Old 11-22-2018, 04:56 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I often use wi-fi calling on my iphone when I travel outside the US. Works just fine!

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:04 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Similar situation here with signal strength. We use Verizon and wifi calling is the only way we can reliably use our phones inside the house. Had to enable the feature with Verizon on our account then enable it in Settings on the phones. Not a perfect solution, but works well enough. Donít know AT&Tís procedure to activate, but may require something more than a setting on the phone.
boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:53 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Maybe not what the OP is asking, we always use WiFi calling from home, but rarely if ever away from home. Always works fine, though we have the opposite problem - sometimes when away we have to turn off WiFi to use LTE, I assume there’s a weak WiFi signal nearby and we have to force the iPhone to use cellular.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:58 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone. The devices have an AT&T symbol, but were also claimed to be unlocked by the seller. I will force the issue with AT&T once again.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:12 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting topic. So, I would say I do also just because that my WI-FI is turned on. If turned on I would assume that I would be calling with WI-FI. Right?
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:14 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What am I missing here?
Sorry if this is beyond obvious, but did you go into the settings function on your phones to make sure "wi-fi calling" is "on", then do a restart?

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:15 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Or move back to civilization.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:22 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sorry if this is beyond obvious, but did you go into the settings function on your phones to make sure "wi-fi calling" is "on", then do a restart?
Any attempt to turn on Wi-Fi Calling leads to an error message about the account.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:27 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Maybe not what the OP is asking, we always use WiFi calling from home, but rarely if ever away from home. Always works fine, though we have the opposite problem - sometimes when away we have to turn off WiFi to use LTE, I assume thereís a weak WiFi signal nearby and we have to force the iPhone to use cellular.
We have the automatic ask to join WiFi network turned off and so almost never connect to WiFi away from home except for specific hotels that we have enabled. Unless you are connected to a specific network LTE should work fine.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:29 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
Or move back to civilization.
Sorry, this does not work. We are in civilization in an area with multiple housing developments and some areas simply have very poor cell reception indoors. And marginal outdoors.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:30 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a cabin we spend lots of time at. We use Ooma for calling on our cell phones regularly as cell service is spotty. Fortunately, we still have internet access. When at home, we default to wifi and have high speed access at home. Negligible difference when ooma is used.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:31 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Any attempt to turn on Wi-Fi Calling leads to an error message about the account.
Itís got to be the account configuration then. Have you taken your phone by an AT&T store?
Old 11-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Interesting topic. So, I would say I do also just because that my WI-FI is turned on. If turned on I would assume that I would be calling with WI-FI. Right?
No. Your phone and provider have to support it and you have to turn on the feature. My phone shows WiFi next to the carrier name when it’s on.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:34 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Itís got to be the account configuration then. Have you taken your phone by an AT&T store?
We're now being told since these devices were not purchased at an AT&T store, and even though they are branded with an AT&T symbol, AT&T does not currently support them for Wi-Fi Calling.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:36 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We're now being told since these devices were not purchased at an AT&T store, and even though they are branded with an AT&T symbol, AT&T does not currently support them for Wi-Fi Calling.
Well, that’s very unfortunate. How old are the phones?

Apple sells AT&T iPhones. I’m sure those must be supported.