Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone used "Happy Feet" Insoles? Are they worth the $$?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone used "Happy Feet" Insoles? Are they worth the $$?

At a nearby "Home Show" (really just a way to meet home contractors) I was urged into trying a pair of these in my shoes for a couple of minutes. Brief Summary: The insoles are filled with non-toxic glycerin, which squishes back and forth as you walk, cushioning your feet (and, by extension, the rest of your body) from impact, and massaging the soles of your feet.

Happy Feet Massaging Insoles - Pain Relief Now

They felt really good on the hard linoleum floor, but at $50 a pair, I wanted to do some research before buying. Haven't found many negative reviews on-line, although one person had trouble getting his money back. Also - the saleslady at the home show said "Yes!" when I asked about wearing them in running shoes, but the web site says the insoles are not meant for use during running or heavy exercise.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience, good or bad, with this product.

Thanks,

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

At a home show or when shopping and you've been walking around a lot, chairs, mattresses, couches, Sky chairs, hammocks, foot massages, and insole things will feel great. When you are home, not as much.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Do you have foot problems now? If not, I wouldn't change things. It could throw off your gait and cause problems in your back or knees. Probably not too likely, but why take a chance if you aren't having a problem?

I don't have any knowledge of the Happy Feet insoles, but I've looked at a couple different options.

I've been using custom orthotics for a few years, mainly for a nerve problem in my foot. It helps, but I had the nerve frozen last December, and once I can start running again (after unrelated ACL reconstruction surgery), I'm going to try without.

An alternative to the custom orthotic is to use the right Dr Scholls insoles based on their machines, which you can find in many WalMarts and probably other places. I haven't used them nor know anyone who has so I'm not necessarily recommending this, but it makes sense to me to get an insole that matches your foot.

A friend of mine swears by Spenco insoles, and has run 100 mile races in them.

I'll also mention that for running shoes, replacement after 500 miles is recommended, as the cushioning breaks down. I'm not sure if that same mileage is recommended for walking, and it'd probably be tough to measure it, but don't wear shoes until they are falling apart.

If you do go with any new insole, break it in slowly. Don't make the first usage a day at a Disney park.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Administrator

Last year we did loads of hiking in England, and in July we had some good friends stay for the weekend and go hiking with us. They were very enthusiastic about the Happy Feet insoles they used in their boots on their hiking trips. Since I wasn't having any problems I didn't take their advice. A few months and several hundred miles hiking later, I got plantar faciitis, which I am still struggling with. (Just had a cortisone injection 2 days ago).

I wish I'd taken their advice, however my advice to you is that if you don't spend a lot of time walking or standing and have no soreness now, you probably do not need them.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry about your foot troubles, Alan. Seems such an unfair payback for a supposedly healthy pastime (hiking)!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Last year we did loads of hiking in England, and in July we had some good friends stay for the weekend and go hiking with us. They were very enthusiastic about the Happy Feet insoles they used in their boots on their hiking trips. Since I wasn't having any problems I didn't take their advice. A few months and several hundred miles hiking later, I got plantar faciitis, which I am still struggling with. (Just had a cortisone injection 2 days ago).

I wish I'd taken their advice, however my advice to you is that if you don't spend a lot of time walking or standing and have no soreness now, you probably do not need them.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I'm sorry about your foot troubles, Alan. Seems such an unfair payback for a supposedly healthy pastime (hiking)!

Amethyst

Thank you

I do wear special insoles now! The podiatrist recommended "Polysorbic" insoles that I buy from Sports Acadamy for $25 / pair. He said that he could sell me some for $75, but he reckoned these would work just as well for my feet. He also recommended wearing Crocs around the house rather than barefoot, slippers, or sandals.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know about happy feet, but I use Dr. Scholl's gel insoles in my shoes that I use on long walking trips. They are great and cost about $10.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foot pain, happy feet, insoles, money back, shoes