Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone using Sprint 4G in the Los Angeles Basin
Old 04-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone using Sprint 4G in the Los Angeles Basin

Been using Sprint 3G mobile broadband for 2 years. Even works where sprint and ATT cellphones dont ( hillsides and canyons). I would like faster speed, but wary of coverage maps, and the sprint folks cant give me an absolute answer about coverage being the same.

Opinions ?

Verizon is a possible too.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Been using Sprint 3G mobile broadband for 2 years. Even works where sprint and ATT cellphones dont ( hillsides and canyons). I would like faster speed, but wary of coverage maps, and the sprint folks cant give me an absolute answer about coverage being the same.

Opinions ?

Verizon is a possible too.
Are you talking about a Mifi? Does your current contract have "unlimited" access?

Changing anything that requires a new contract will likely cap your usage. My research showed that changing to 4G capable device (even if I paid full price for the device) would require a new contract with a cap. Purchasing a Mifi (without a subsidy) did not trigger a new contract/capped download with surcharges for overages.

Good luck.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've tried Sprint 4G in a solid coverage area for a month (Vegas) and had no difference in speeds whatsoever. Returned the phone (evo).

In fact, I've gone in to the Sprint store and taken their demo units from the shelves and opened up speed testing websites and run them side by side with my 3G stuff and gotten the exact same speed.

Have repeated this a fee times. Their in store reps and phone reps just offer excuses about maybe the 4G tower being down (though you set the phone to connect to 4G only and it shows full signal strength), speeds fluctuate, etc. but none can explain why their 4G isn't faster.

This is about a mile from the strip, in super solid coverage on their maps.

So I don't bother anymore. Their 3G speed is okay. I'd rather have faster, but can't seem to get it.

I like Sprint a lot, but their 4G is terrible, IMO.

YMMV.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:38 AM   #4

I'm out of my contract (2 yr). I use an aircard modem for laptop when away from home. Also for internet and private e-mail at work. I work in gov't and these days I absolutly NEVER use gov't assets for anything not work related. I dont even use a work computer to simply check home e-mail. Most around me still surf the internet, e-bay , etc on the agency computers. I dont want to be someone explaining private use of governmemt owned computer and internet useage.

The sprint 3 g speed seems to be sensitive to useage. Most locations vary a lot with time of day.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote