Join Early Retirement Today

AO-Hell
Old 06-20-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

AO-Hell

I stumbled across this from another site. This was almost my exact same experience except with compuserve.

http://media.putfile.com/AOL-Cancellation

LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: AO-Hell
Old 06-20-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've cancelled AOL a number of times and it is this same crap every time. Usually it takes about 5 minutes of replying "no" to the hard sell a dozen times. I've gotten 6 free months of service before by trying to cancel and them comping me for a free month 6 times. Being polite but firm is effective with these folks though (in general).

Getting belligerent doesn't seem as effective (see linked audio recording).
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:10 PM   #3

540 hours a month? the guy must have retired early.

when i called to cancel aol they threatened to lower my bill rate. i suggested they should have offered that way before i called them.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I call most of my service providers regularly and tell them I want to be disconnected. They almost always give me something off the bill or something for free.

I havent paid more than $29 a month for my cable modem (list price $57). Coming up on the end of the one year @$29 they offered me last year...

The trick isnt just to fool around with the customer service rep. Call and say you want to schedule a disconnection, say you want it for about 10 days out (so you can cancel it if they take you up on the offer), and wait for the deal...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:54 PM   #5

Went with my sister to get a new cable modem from Time Warner a few months ago and the guy was pushing phone service on her. She said that she didnt want and they asked why and kept on talking on how great it was? I thought she was going to snap. Poor guy
Old 06-20-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re cable phones or VOIP. Had Time Warner try to push digital phone on me a year ago in Houston. I asked if they could guarantee the same reliability of service as land lines...to the nanosecond. And how they were going to ensure I had telephone service during power outages which happened frequently in Entergy's/Centerpoint's franchise area. That was a sure way to shut them up.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:26 AM   #7

Timewarner tried to sell me the cable/high speed internet/VOIP phone bundle. They claimed I would reduce my current bill by $20 if I added the VOIP. Unfortunately, they couldn't do math and it would ADD $20 to my bill. And they lied about it being a temporary 6 month deal.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:24 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Timewarner tried to sell me the cable/high speed internet/VOIP phone bundle. They claimed I would reduce my current bill by $20 if I added the VOIP. Unfortunately, they couldn't do math and it would ADD $20 to my bill. And they lied about it being a temporary 6 month deal.
Sprint pulls that crap with us every 6 months or so. They SWEAR that adding caller ID and voicemail will lower our bill. We tell them it never does. They promise and say they've had some new offers released recently. We say, "That's what you said last time." They push and push. We give in. The bill comes and it goes up. We call and bitch and they credit us for the difference and something extra for our trouble. Repeat 6 months later. Idiots.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Timewarner tried to sell me the cable/high speed internet/VOIP phone bundle.* They claimed I would reduce my current bill by $20 if I added the VOIP.* Unfortunately, they couldn't do math and it would ADD $20 to my bill.* And they lied about it being a temporary 6 month deal.*
coupon logic: buy this and save.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:52 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny
I havent paid more than $29 a month for my cable modem (list price $57).
In my (limited) experience, it's a really good idea to buy the modem if they let you, and to look for a different provider if they don't. You usually make back the initial cost in under a year, and after that you're saving around half of the overall cost of service + rental. YMMV.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:06 AM   #11

LL, when I listened to that I thought of how many times it happens. It's sometimes fun to turn it around on them. Allow them to give you the spiel and then ask to hear it again. Considered it a bit, then ask if each part can be broken down seperately. Tell them you are nearly deaf can they shout it to you.

I'm usually the one who gets hung up on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My RCN rep here called yesterday and he had fixed my CHicago billing issues.

He offered me a landline phone serve add-on.* Well with the $1067 bill from T-Mobile I was ripe to be taken.

But I mentioned I was happy with T-Mobile only, he offered 3 months free, no contract (month-month), unlimited local and long distance for 19.99.* I took it.

Now I'm wondering, was that really a deal?
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:53 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Timewarner tried to sell me the cable/high speed internet/VOIP phone bundle. They claimed I would reduce my current bill by $20 if I added the VOIP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnad
Sprint pulls that crap with us every 6 months or so. They SWEAR that adding caller ID and voicemail will lower our bill. We tell them it never does.
Like Dennis Miller, we told our phone company to put us on their DO NOT CALL list.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:43 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
In my (limited) experience, it's a really good idea to buy the modem if they let you, and to look for a different provider if they don't. You usually make back the initial cost in under a year, and after that you're saving around half of the overall cost of service + rental. YMMV.
They do and I did buy one, but its six years old now. They're giving new customers a free modem, 6 months @19.99 and a hundred bucks in a gift card (or some such). This is the funny marketing conundrum...we'll give the works to someone that hasnt paid us a dime, but customers that have been with us for 5 years? Well, they can go somewhere else...

I'm sure as heck not buying another $75 cable modem when I can get a broadband wireless provider to install for less than that, and charge me half what comcast does...

Buy I'll call them and play the disconnection game, see what retention will offer me.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
LL, when I listened to that I thought of how many times it happens. It's sometimes fun to turn it around on them. Allow them to give you the spiel and then ask to hear it again. Considered it a bit, then ask if each part can be broken down seperately. Tell them you are nearly deaf can they shout it to you.

I'm usually the one who gets hung up on.
My MIL does this with telephone solicitors as a pseudo-hobby--her goal s to see hw long she can keep them on the phone.

"A new credit card--great!! Tell me about it!!
(5 minutes later)
"This is such a relief--we've had such a hard time gettting a new card since my husband lost his job. That won't be a problem, will it?"
(4 minutes later)
"Wow, great. Because, since they cancelled all the other cards, this would really be a great deal--we might even be able to save the living room set. If my son co-signs, you wouldn't need to check his credit, would you? He's been in the hospital a lot . . . ."

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote