Apparently we're going to beat this dead horse until it becomes another animal..

Re: Apparently we're going to beat this dead horse until it becomes another anim

th, Art,

Enough already! Give it a rest.

Both of you go to your room! :D

REW

Re: Apparently we're going to beat this dead horse until it becomes another anim

Notth said:
I'm IN my room!

Then don't come out until you can behave yourself! (Or at least 'til you can stop posting on this subject!)

REW

Hmmm

The sun has set on Lake Ponchartrain and a couple of pier lights have clicked on - may walk over later and see if Mr Ray or Skippy are catching anything.

Now about this dead horse - it is going to affect my ER - How:confused:??

Heh, heh, heh, heh.

Strikes me as a good discussion during a cold winter in Missoula.

moghopper said:
In California, they'll have to be special biodegradeble Depends made from 100% post consumer material.

I understand there's a large surplus of "100% post consumer material" in Kalifornia. Also, a large cache in DC... :D

This discussion has driven me into a vegetative state. Someone please pull the plug. :-X

Art, you are obviously really bent about this, what's the reason? I mean, let's just suppose you are right, of all the injustices in the world why this one?

23 enemy prisinors have died during "interrogation" while in U.S. military hands
Hundreds of prisoners are held without representation or even a trial date
Thousands have died, and millions are at risk of death in the Sudan
etc.etc.etc.

Another thing, you trust the perception of Terri's family over the clinical opinions of her vegitative state, that's your right, but as a father of a daughter with a disability, I've seen at events other parents who saw things about their kids that just weren't true. They see what they really want to see, sometimes at the exclusion of the truth. I feel for Terri's family, and they were manipulated by snake oil salesmen for years telling them all the ways Terri might be helped (send more oxygen to the brain with my special method! Green tea! Whatever). I see it all the time with parents of kid's like my daughter. All sorts of mega-vitamins and other crap, and people buy, hoping beyond hope. It's a sad, sick situation all around.

FYI: I'm a registered Republican, Christian who goes to church every Sunday, McCain hopeful. I have found myself moving to the left as the far religious right has taken over "my" party, violated the separation of church and state, and as the party has completely abandoned any fiscal responsibility. My personal belief is as Christian leaders move more and more into politics and power, they become the very Pharisees that Jesus condemned. So yeah, I guess that means I'm a lib. ;)

"Every time I try to get out, they pull me back in!"
-Al Pacino, "Scarface"

I'm trying, REW.

Laurence, I am sorry to hear about your daughter's disability. Obviously, I had no idea.

Rather than get into this again, I think I'll pass and ask you to re-read my posts.

If you still have any questions after that, I will try to answer them for you.

Don't be sorry, you didn't do anything and she's nothing but joy. :) If anything you could be percieved as being on "my side" defending those who are disabled. But I shared that info to just give a little perspective so that you knew I wasn't just firing off an ignorant opinion while riding in my limo the the Barbera Striesand concert. ;)

I read your previous posts and hear what you are saying, don't necesarily agree, but I was just asking if you had any experiences like this in your personal life that caused this to touch a nerve. I guess that sounds nosy but that's why I shared my info to keep it real.

1 minute take on it is I see parents who couldn't let go, saw what they wanted to see, and got manipulated by those who saw personal, financial, and political gain in it. I'm all through now, won't beat the horse anymore! :D

No Laurence, I've had no personal experience with this. I just can't believe the U.S. legal system killed this girl for NO REASON when her family wanted to care for her as she was, based mainly on the lies of her estranged husband/probable murderer. Testimony of numerous health care workers documented his orders to treat her like she was already dead. No medical care for infections. No simple grooming. No flowers, music, physical therapy, sunlight. One nurse testified that he tried to kill her with insulin.

I believe the nurses. What would they gain by lying? Was this going to help their careers? Do you REALLY think hospitals/nursing homes/hospices like to hire whistleblowers? Were they hoping to score a book deal? Were they all lying emotional retards willing to expose themselves to massive media abuse for five minutes on TV? They had everything to lose by sticking their necks out.

Why would her girlfriends lie about her plan to leave him due to his control freak personality the night she "collapsed"? Why would his previous girlfriend back them up on his freakish personality? THEY'RE ALL LIARS? But Michael is honest?

The liberal media presented this to the public as a Republican Congress trying to stick it's nose where it didn't belong- instead of trying to prevent a murder- and that's what the public sees so far.

Some people think Judge Greer has the brains to judge which witnesses are credible and which testimony should be admitted. But the truth is, Judge Greer doesn't have the brains to find his ass with both hands. Congress ordered a de novo trial. A federal judge declined the order, just to show Congress which branch was boss. The media jumped on this case to attack Republicans.

I think when Mark Fuhrman's book comes out- public opinion about this case will change. That's my one minute take.

I have a feeling that once people make up their mind about something they rarely seem to change it, even in the face of contrary evidence. They simply don't believe the evidence.

The press is part of this problem. They report as if there is two sides to everything--and don't bother to investigate to see what is based on fact.

We now treat science as if it is presenting one side of an issue, rather than searching for the truth.

Being an intellectual is almost as bad as being a liberal.

Being an intellectual is almost as bad as being a liberal.

Well if it makes you feel any better, as a conservative I feel similarly demonized by the press, liberals, Democrats, etc. The level of political discourse in most places (this board included) is little more than name calling and ridicule.

So cheer up, things aren't going my way either ;)

Laurence said:
But I shared that info to just give a little perspective so that you knew I wasn't just firing off an ignorant opinion while riding in my limo the the Barbera Striesand concert.  ;)

Speaking of pulling the plug...

Martha said:
The press is part of this problem.  They report as if there is two sides to everything--and don't bother to investigate to see what is based on fact. 

Martha, the liberal media is not only part of the problem- it is the ENTIRE problem. If we had a fair press report this story, the pvs swamp judge of Numbnuts County could never have tortured this girl to death.

GIGO.

When that infamous, distorted single poll came out saying 70% of the public sided with Michel Schiavo, the Republicans ran away like the scared little girls that they are (no offense intended to scared little girls). A subsequent, more fairly worded poll showing opposite results got no play.

I've always hated the liberal media- but in this case- this innocent girl's blood is on their hands.

It is in this context of legal fascism (the best term I can think of when the judicial branch repeatedly defies legal orders from the legislative and executive branches) and political cowardice that I say that Jeb Bush should have shown moral leadership, saved this poor girl, suffered the slings and arrows of the scummy press and corrupt legal system, and let the chips fall where they may.

I knew I shouldn't have joined in. . .

Art said:
It is in this context of legal fascism (the best term I can think of when the judicial branch repeatedly defies legal orders from the legislative and executive branches) and political cowardice that I say that Jeb Bush should have shown moral leadership, saved this poor girl, suffered the slings and arrows of the scummy press and corrupt legal system, and let the chips fall where they may.

Sorry Art, the judicial branch did not defy any legal orders. The executive branch can't order the judiciary to do anything. The legislative branch passed a law which said:
The United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida shall have jurisdiction to hear, determine, and render judgment on a suit or claim by or on behalf of Theresa Marie Schiavo for the alleged violation of any right of Theresa Marie Schiavo under the Constitution or laws of the United States relating to the withholding or withdrawal of food, fluids, or medical treatment necessary to sustain her life.

The law went on to state: Nothing in this Act shall be construed to create substantive rights not otherwise secured by the Constitution and laws of the United States or of the several States.

The federal court in Florida did hear the case and found no violation of any of Theresa Schiavo's rights.

Martha, you are right. You are absolutely right.

There was 12th hour Congressional legislation that, for all intents and purposes, encouraged the federal appeals court to review the entire trial record. This was not done. Perfectly legal. And obscene.

Art, you are one pugnacious dude!

By the time a thread gets to five pages there's often not much to add.  That said, the politics of this issue escaped me in the beginning, and still does.  The GOP obviously believes this works to their advantage somehow.  Aside from the passions of a handful of whack jobs, I just can't figure out how.

No one will accuse Art of being uncaring! ;)

But your right, I think every viewpoint has been hit on this one. I agree to disagree. :)

By the time a thread gets to five pages there's often not much to add. That said, the politics of this issue escaped me in the beginning, and still does. The GOP obviously believes this works to their advantage somehow. Aside from the passions of a handful of whack jobs, I just can't figure out how.

tozz,

My first post on this pretty much explains why the GOP is interested in this.

Cut-Throat said:
img_311133_0_7116010c6083bd6ccda5ce6bae19e640.gif

With the Christian Right controlling the nomination process in the GOP, this is the path to the white house. This was the number one Topic when I drove to New Mexico across the West on Right Wing Radio (The only Stations I could find in Neb., Rural Colorado).

These people are really scary! :crazy:

Back
Top Bottom