Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There's a lot of stuff the iPhone can do that people don't know about:

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

To me, the iPhone is yet another "must have" item that, while it may not actually break the bank for most people, is still more unnecessary spending. Today's paper was depressing, showing people (mostly in their 20s and 30s, but some older) camping out for 15 hours in line before the stores opened. One guy said that he "deserves" this phone! One guy said he wants it because people will admire him for having it. He wasn't a baby---25 and a pharmacy student! Why would people admire him for having it? It's not like you had to pass a test to show you had a certain amount of techno savvy or that you ahd work or a life that really requires it. Anyone who was in line before the supplies ran out and had $600 bucks could buy it...

Old 07-01-2007, 07:22 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
To me, the iPhone is yet another "must have" item that, while it may not actually break the bank for most people, is still more unnecessary spending. Today's paper was depressing, showing people (mostly in their 20s and 30s, but some older) camping out for 15 hours in line before the stores opened. One guy said that he "deserves" this phone! One guy said he wants it because people will admire him for having it. He wasn't a baby---25 and a pharmacy student! Why would people admire him for having it? It's not like you had to pass a test to show you had a certain amount of techno savvy or that you ahd work or a life that really requires it. Anyone who was in line before the supplies ran out and had $600 bucks could buy it...

I guess americans have much more money than I thought they have. IPhone, heck I really do not want any phone.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:35 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
I'm still using my old cell phone that looks like it has been to WWII and back again.

Apple - iPhone
I finally got a new leash cell after almost 5 years. Duct tape and crazy glue and a metal coat hanger worked wonders as always. I didn't have to carry it in a briefcase but it probably would have made the phone last a little longer!!! Life was hell for that phone.
Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
gtmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:34 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Good video on iphonemania, with a laugh.
MyFox Dallas | Patience Pays Off Big for Dallas iPhone Fan

Synopsis: lady shows up to line in front of the at&t store and pays the guy thats first in line $800 to have his spot. With the intention of buying all of the iphones in the store and selling them on ebay.

Fortunately she's only allowed to buy one phone by the store, and the kid with the $800 gets his as well. All probably good because if she had been allowed to buy all the phones, the other people in line would probably have pummeled her.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Good video on iphonemania, with a laugh.
MyFox Dallas | Patience Pays Off Big for Dallas iPhone Fan

Synopsis: lady shows up to line in front of the at&t store and pays the guy thats first in line $800 to have his spot. With the intention of buying all of the iphones in the store and selling them on ebay.

Fortunately she's only allowed to buy one phone by the store, and the kid with the $800 gets his as well. All probably good because if she had been allowed to buy all the phones, the other people in line would probably have pummeled her.
She came up with this 'brilliant' idea to make money but it never occurred to her there might be a purchase limit (which BTW was mentioned in many news articles)?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:59 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
She came up with this 'brilliant' idea to make money but it never occurred to her there might be a purchase limit (which BTW was mentioned in many news articles)?
She's exactly the customer that Steve Jobs has been searching for all his life.

I wonder how many iPods & Macs she owns...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

She's probably bleeding in an alley somewhere, since she's been advertising that she walks around with $100,000 in cash.

I noticed hundreds of iPhones on EBay, but very few are actually selling. This list is of completed auctions, and the first numerical column shows the number of bids, which is zero in most cases.
IphonesOnEbay.jpg
Old 07-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #49

Buying them above store price is silly. Most stores have them readily available.
Yes, they are expensive, but there is a $500 phone as well as the always mentioned $600 price tag (less memory).
Personally, I bought one and love it.
I have been looking for a handheld interface that works well for me ever since the first Palm Pilot came out. I finally found it
I have heard the internet speed is highly spotty. So far I have only connected via my Wi-Fi network so have had plenty of speed. I think Apple has done a great job with the interface. And I really really wish I had Apple stock
Old 07-01-2007, 12:22 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
There's a lot of stuff the iPhone can do that people don't know about:

that was hilarious!
Old 07-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #51

I must correct my earlier statement. When I said 'most stores have iPhones in stock' I was speaking from personal experience at two of the Apple stores here in Minneapolis, MN.
From what I have been seeing on the news, it does appear that many stores have sold out by Saturday and that a number have sold on Ebay. I still wouldn't stand in line for one for hours or buy above retails on Ebay, but to each their own I guess.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

So, this phone includes a web browser, music player and camera? So what? The phone in my pocket does all that already, and I don't even use most of those features. I certainly wouldn't pay for them.

These people lined up and paid through the nose for a phone that doesn't do anything particularly special, except have the Apple logo on it. Dang, Steve Jobs is a genius.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:27 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

I touched an iPhone at the Apple store here in Tampa. Beautiful screen and the interface, as always with Apple, is stunning.

But... no value added for me. Maybe I am now officially old-fashioned but it seemed to me like a solution in search of a problem. My phone works better than this one because I'm not with AT&T. My laptop works better than this for web browsing, and my current email/contact list etc. in my palm works just fine. Would I like to consolidate them all in one gadget? Sure, but not without a keyboard or some other real means of entering data or text.

There is something to the iPhone, but not enough for me. Maybe in a couple of years.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Apple certainly has mastered the art of destination product marketing, havent they?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:43 PM   #55

i have a new blackbry and all i did was set up the email, google maps and that was that - nothing else and i know it can do a few backflips but that darn user manual is too thick.

one of the things apple does heads and tails better than other electronic folks is making things user friendly, easy to start, set up etc. we just set up junior's ipod and it was pretty easy breezy. the manual was a little fold out brochure...not a 1/2 inch thick...
Old 07-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Warning: OT rant follows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
one of the things apple does heads and tails better than other electronic folks is making things user friendly[...]
Question for the Apple folks: when using a Mac as an X11 server, how does one adjust the preferences for window focus? Right now, the Macs I have used require that one first click in a window to grab focus, then and only then can one click on any of the buttons within that window. If you click one of the the buttons before grabbing focus, they change color, and so appear to have been activated, but in fact they have not -- you've merely grabbed focus, and have to click again. It seems as though maybe mouse move events are being transmitted to the application, but not mouse click ones? Anyway, this extremely counter-intuitive behavior is maddening, and I can't find a way to fix it. I have asked Mac gurus around me, and they scratch their heads, too. This is a very basic user-configurable parameter in most window managers, but not the Mac one.

Any ideas?

Also, where are the other #$%&%$# mouse buttons? Why do simple cut-and-paste operations require multiple, simultaneous button presses? What is so user-friendly about that? (I mean, for a user who is not an octopus.)
Old 07-01-2007, 10:23 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
Warning: OT rant follows...
when using a Mac as an X11 server, how does one adjust the preferences for window focus? Right now, the Macs I have used require that one first click in a window to grab focus, then and only then can one click on any of the buttons within that window. If you click one of the the buttons before grabbing focus, they change color, and so appear to have been activated, but in fact they have not -- you've merely grabbed focus, and have to click again. It seems as though maybe mouse move events are being transmitted to the application, but not mouse click ones? Anyway, this extremely counter-intuitive behavior is maddening, and I can't find a way to fix it. I have asked Mac gurus around me, and they scratch their heads, too. This is a very basic user-configurable parameter in most window managers, but not the Mac one.

Any ideas?

Also, where are the other #$%&%$# mouse buttons? Why do simple cut-and-paste operations require multiple, simultaneous button presses? What is so user-friendly about that? (I mean, for a user who is not an octopus.)
I guess it's all relative. I don't know of a user-configurable method for adjusting how clicks are passed through to the underlying window but I do know that the way Windows handles it drives me crazy (if I want to simply bring a window to the front to read it, the click gets passed through to any underlying buttons resulting in unintended consequences. So I have to be sure and activate a window using dead space and not an ad for a Ford Explorer).

As to cut and paste, I'm not sure why cmd-c and cmd-v are that different from Ctrl-c and Ctrl-v. Is that what you meant? If you want to assign a function key you can, perhaps via Applescript. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.

Anyhow, it can be frustrating switching between OS's.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:39 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Not sure why this is difficult, unless you are only wanting to use the apple mouse. I plug in a Kensington USB trackball with left and right mouse buttons, and clicking the right button activates a menu choice that I can pull down to copy or paste as the context requires. Have used other USB 2 button mice before as well, and they also work. And the wheel moves the field up or down as you would want it to. Maybe you should change the mouse - you are not limited to only one choice.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:33 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
As to cut and paste, I'm not sure why cmd-c and cmd-v are that different from Ctrl-c and Ctrl-v. Is that what you meant? If you want to assign a function key you can, perhaps via Applescript. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.
To copy some text from one xterm to another xterm on any unix/linux system that I have seen in the past 20 years, you highlight the text with the left mouse button in the source window, and click with the middle button in the destination window. On the Mac... there is no middle button. (And the cmd/ctrl-c, -v stuff doesn't work in xterms for some reason. The copy/paste buffers are not shared? But that's odd, because they are on every other unix system, and the Mac is unix based nowadays... but they have lobotomized the user interface somehow.)

Ok, bring your own mouse -- kind of a pain to do whenever I want to use a public terminal. Or write a macro to emulate the other buttons -- which has often been done by whoever maintains the machine, but there is no standard on how to do this. Why can't they just provide the other two buttons by default? But no, that would be too user-friendly.

Quote:
Anyhow, it can be frustrating switching between OS's.
Yes, especially when one's computing habits ossified some time back in the '80s... (hey, at least I admit it.)
Old 07-02-2007, 08:26 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Question for the Apple folks: when using a Mac as an X11 server, how does one adjust the preferences for window focus? Right now, the Macs I have used require that one first click in a window to grab focus, then and only then can one click on any of the buttons within that window. If you click one of the the buttons before grabbing focus, they change color, and so appear to have been activated, but in fact they have not -- you've merely grabbed focus, and have to click again. It seems as though maybe mouse move events are being transmitted to the application, but not mouse click ones? Anyway, this extremely counter-intuitive behavior is maddening, and I can't find a way to fix it. I have asked Mac gurus around me, and they scratch their heads, too. This is a very basic user-configurable parameter in most window managers, but not the Mac one.
You can control the 'click thru' feature of the Mac X11 application by setting a system default. This is done by issuing the command

defaults write com.apple.x11 wm_click_through true

Then when you click in an X11 window, that window gets focus (receives further mouse click and keyboard events) and also gets that particular click. The normal Mac windows are not affected by this -- they still have the default "first click just gives the window focus" mode, and I'm pretty sure there is no way to change this.

You can do 'man Xquartz' to see the other com.apple.x11 defaults that you can change. Once you issue a 'defaults' command, the value is written to the system preferences and you shouldn't need to give that command again.

Quote:
The equivalent of mouse button #2 (middle button) is 'Option'+click, and the equivalent of #3 (right button) is 'Apple'+click. However, if you are going to use X11 much, you really should get a 3 button mouse (or a mouse with a scroll-wheel).

Back on the main topic -- I got my iPhone last night. Is it justifiable? Not really -- but it's a lot cheaper than a red sports car, and more fun (for me).