Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I often note that my iPad mini has like 5 times the screen size of DHs iPhone 5, and it makes a huge difference in terms of usability.

But I carry my iPad in my purse.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 10:09 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I often note that my iPad mini has like 5 times the screen size of DHs iPhone 5, and it makes a huge difference in terms of usability.

But I carry my iPad in my purse.
I've carried my Nexus 7 (7 inch diagonal screen) in my back pocket but have to remember not to take a seat.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tradeoff between larger screen (with larger battery and optical image stabilization on the camera) vs. smaller size better for one-handed use.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:30 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
We have a Nexus 5, dimensions are 5.4 x 2.7. Apparently it's the same as the iPhone 6. I have no problem fitting it in my jeans pocket and I'm not a big guy. Are people exaggerating or coming from a small is better angle?

To do some web surfing you want a larger screen I think.
The iPhone 6 is fine. The problem is with the 6 Plus.

Dimensions are 5.44 x 2.64 for the 6, and 6.22 x 3.06 inches for Plus.
Comparing them side by side, the Plus just looks huge. It's also 1.5 ounces heavier.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The iPhone 6 is fine. The problem is with the 6 Plus.

Dimensions are 5.44 x 2.64 for the 6, and 6.22 x 3.06 inches for Plus.
Comparing them side by side, the Plus just looks huge. It's also 1.5 ounces heavier.
I'm not planning on getting an iPhone yet. Out of curiousity I cut a piece of cardboard to the Plus dimensions you gave. It fit easily into my jeans pocket.

My son is adamant he doesn't want a big phone. With him I suspect it's a male ego thing -- not considered manly to pull out a big phone. We see these people all the time on movies pulling out there phones to make a tense, important call. I'm waiting for the scene where the guy pulls out a gigantic cell phone -- kind of like those big black Glocks.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Well, I think I'm going to be buying an Apple Watch!

Looking at my wrist now, I'm wearing both a wristwatch and a Fitbit bracelet every day, and they take more space together and are still missing a lot of features (like an inactivity alarm).

We watched the presentation yesterday. It will work well for me as I'll probably use both the fitness monitoring features as well as the several of the iPhone/iPad extension features like notifications.

A year ago I didnt think it was something that would interest me.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

It was on 5 different channels at the same time yesterday. Way overhyped. The battery life is horrible, it has to be paired to another device, the knob on the side is a pain in the butt to use. I have a phone, why do I need a watch too?

Now they want it to be fashion and not function. It is going to be a giant flop.

Note: I have puts on AAPL stock.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

That's what makes a market, lol!
Old 03-10-2015, 08:54 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTX View Post
Note: I have puts on AAPL stock.
If the AAPL puts pan out, you can buy one of the pricey solid gold ones!

The fitness angle is interesting and being able to use Apple Pay is a big plus since I own an older iPhone.

I'll be fun to take a look at them when they show up in the stores.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I don't wear watches so the Watch doesn't have much appeal to me.

Definitely want the mobile payments though. Hoping Apple can push it far and wide, including overseas.
+1 to both for me, especially the (reported) $10K-$17K gold edition. Sheeeesh...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
The fitness angle is interesting and being able to use Apple Pay is a big plus since I own an older iPhone.
With the maybe max 18 hour battery life I do not see much use for it as a health monitor. Fitness angle is kind of faddish to me and there is a lot of lower price products for this all ready. I really don't want to be taking something at this price point and leaving it in my locker at the gym while I am taking a shower or using the sauna.

Even using it just as a plan watch you have to recharge it every couple of days. I see people getting tired of having to remember to recharge it.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll wait and see on the Apple Watch. I figure at this point it'll be like buying the original iPad or iPhone - how useful are those today? I also think it looks awkwardly thick, but of course I haven't seen one in person yet.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #53

Yes, yes, yes!!! Everyone PLEASE go buy one...it's a REQUIREMENT for a great life!!!

I have never really been a big Apple fan (have only owned an iPod for integration w/ the car, but even stopped using that) but I do love that everyone else LOVES, LOVES, LOVES Apple. And that is why *I* love me some AAPL stock!

I took a long time to finally "bite" the bullet on buying AAPL just because of the "fanboys" out there, but realizing that people just buy the stuff...sometimes for no other reason that to have a NEW Apple product, I figured out I needed to stop being so stingy with the investing pot in regards to AAPL.

As for the watch, I rarely wear one anyway, so even if it was made by Samsung, I wouldn't have one.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
As for the watch, I rarely wear one anyway,
When I went grocery shopping yesterday I counted people that were wearing a watch - 3 out of 31. The 3 were older couples (early to late 70s) and the women was wearing the watch and I don't think they would spend that kind of scratch for an AAPL watch. Went to a Vietnam place for lunch did not see anyone wearing a watch but they were texting like mad about something. Amazes me two people having lunch together and they are both talking on the cell phone the whole time.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #55

Quote:
When I went grocery shopping yesterday I counted people that were wearing a watch - 3 out of 31. The 3 were older couples (early to late 70s) and the women was wearing the watch and I don't think they would spend that kind of scratch for an AAPL watch. Went to a Vietnam place for lunch did not see anyone wearing a watch but they were texting like mad about something. Amazes me two people having lunch together and they are both talking on the cell phone the whole time.
Being retired, I don't have much concern about time...only when it comes to running errands (I have a hard rule of being back home by 2:15, when schools start getting out). Even when I was w*rking, I didn't really have a "set" schedule (unless we were flying, but then it was rarely a "hard time") so there just really hasn't been a reason to have wear watch. Although, maybe if I could figure out how to attach this to my arm:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (144.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well, I think I'm going to be buying an Apple Watch!

Looking at my wrist now, I'm wearing both a wristwatch and a Fitbit bracelet every day, and they take more space together and are still missing a lot of features (like an inactivity alarm).

We watched the presentation yesterday. It will work well for me as I'll probably use both the fitness monitoring features as well as the several of the iPhone/iPad extension features like notifications.

A year ago I didnt think it was something that would interest me.
I wear my Timex Ironman watch on the left wrist and the Vivofit on the right. It has an inactivity monitor (red lines + dashes). It would be great to integrate these two items.

The Timex battery lasts for several years and the Vivofit battery for maybe 1 year. I wouldn't want a unit that has to be charged daily. But I can see how the Apple watch would be attractive to many. Nice colors too.

Will the Apple watch display well in bright sunlight?
Old 03-10-2015, 10:22 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It certainly will be interesting to see if it does generate any enthusiasm of any magnitude. I don't wear a watch, but I have never worn a watch my entire life as someone always had the time if I needed to know.
But I freely admit technology companies don't target me. In fact the only reason I do not own a smart phone is I don't want to charge my phone all the time. But when that bigger IPad ever hits the market, I will buy immediately!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1 to both for me, especially the (reported) $10K-$17K gold edition. Sheeeesh...

Well, the nice thing is you don't have to buy one.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

It's going to be the "must have" fashion statement according to a couple of west coast fashion Gurus. This will be especially true for women. I like it as it reminds me of the Dick Tracy comics days.

Will I buy one given I am allergic to gold? Maybe a sterling silver one if they have it.

My AAPL stock is up pretty well since I bought a year or so ago. Carl Ican likes the stock and has been touting $200/share as its value. But who knows?

I think with the bang out quarter Apple will have coming up (Iphone sales way up), the new Mac Book, and the fashion crazed sales of the watch, all will be good for the stock.

I am a believer......DW, DD, & granddaughter all got upgraded Iphones this year and are on StraighTalk!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I wear my Timex Ironman watch on the left wrist and the Vivofit on the right. It has an inactivity monitor (red lines + dashes). It would be great to integrate these two items.

The Timex battery lasts for several years and the Vivofit battery for maybe 1 year. I wouldn't want a unit that has to be charged daily. But I can see how the Apple watch would be attractive to many. Nice colors too.

Will the Apple watch display well in bright sunlight?
Don't know about the sunlight thing.

I don't mind the nightly charging as I take my watch and Fitbit off at night. I don't shower with them on either. So nightly charging is not an issue for me.

This reminds me of the early iPods that went through a lot of iterations to eventually morphed into the iPhone and iPad. That took many years.