Join Early Retirement Today

Apple System Upgrade
Old 10-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Apple System Upgrade

Has anyone upgraded to OSX El Capitan, and if so, have you experienced any issues?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
I would like to upgrade to OSX El Capitan but I've read that MagicJack doesn't play with it yet. Anybody tried it with MagicJack?

Old 10-28-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I upgraded one of my two Macbook Pro laptops yesterday. So far it works well. Seems a bit faster than Yosemite. I don't know about MagicJack.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #4

I've heard it depends on whether or not you plug the Magic Jack into the USB port on your Mac, or into the router. If you use it directly with a router, it's fine. Some have reported driver issues when it's plugged into the Mac under El Cap, though.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am upgrading to El Capitan on a seven year old MacBook as I write this. I should have a feel for it in about an hour. My old MacBook runs well but slow. The best and most reliable computer I have ever owned. Hopefully, El Capitan won't change that.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I am upgrading to El Capitan on a seven year old MacBook as I write this. I should have a feel for it in about an hour. My old MacBook runs well but slow. The best and most reliable computer I have ever owned.
We have El Cap running on a late 2008 unibody MacBook. Runs better than Yosemite, IMO. I'm surprised that a machine that old is still capable of running the "latest and greatest". Then again, we have a PC laptop from about 2005 which is running Windows 10 reasonably well, so....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #7

> Runs better than Yosemite

Right. El Capitan is a mainly an "under the hood" release (similar to how Snow Leopard was a mostly under the hood release following Leopard. Note that El Capitan is located in Yosemite. See how they did that...)

Anyway, I ran into zero problems on the various older Macs we have around the house.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
We have El Cap running on a late 2008 unibody MacBook. Runs better than Yosemite, IMO. I'm surprised that a machine that old is still capable of running the "latest and greatest". Then again, we have a PC laptop from about 2005 which is running Windows 10 reasonably well, so....
Good to know. I have a stable system now on my 5 year old iMac, so I was hesitating to upgrade to El Cap but I'll go ahead.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Upgraded my MacBook yesterday. Smooth as silk.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #10

I want to make sure Aperture works first.

There is talk that the new 5K iMac supports 10-bit color on El Capitan but no applications yet which supports it.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:58 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I upgraded on (2) desktop iMacs.

The only issue I experienced was with the Apple mail client. After both installs the inbox was empty. Per a suggestion on the Apple discussion forum, I ran the Mailbox, Rebuild commands from the menu and the mail became visible again.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My El Capitan upgrade worked well and it is up and running. The only glitch was that Messages was showing phone numbers and not names. Stopping and starting the app fixed that.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I'm waiting. DH has been testing it with his apps on an an older machine - mainly Aperture. He did find lots of issues, not sure if all have been fixed. We haven't brought it up on our main machines yet. I'm worried about Lightroom - there appear to be some issues.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good View Post
I upgraded on (2) desktop iMacs.

The only issue I experienced was with the Apple mail client. After both installs the inbox was empty. Per a suggestion on the Apple discussion forum, I ran the Mailbox, Rebuild commands from the menu and the mail became visible again.
While I would have searched for a solution, that would definitely freak me out. Surprised Apple would create an issue for one of their primary apps.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:18 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
While I would have searched for a solution, that would definitely freak me out. Surprised Apple would create an issue for one of their primary apps.
I'm surprised too. This bug has affected a lot of people. Here's a post from the Apple discussion forum about it...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7221489?tstart=0
Old 10-29-2015, 02:31 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good View Post
I'm surprised too. This bug has affected a lot of people. Here's a post from the Apple discussion forum about it...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7221489?tstart=0
That discussion is about an iOS 9 problem. This thread is about El Capitan.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #17

I'll probably wait a few weeks to hear if there is any fallout before I install

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 10-29-2015, 09:12 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Apple System Upgrade

I recommend waiting a little while to upgrade. I fix Macs for a living.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:57 PM   #19

I upgraded yesterday on my MacBook Pro and haven't run into any issues yet.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-30-2015, 10:51 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That discussion is about an iOS 9 problem. This thread is about El Capitan.
Oops, you're right. The link I posted previously was for mail disappearing on iPads after the IOS9 update. My bad.

The El Capitan problem (also about disappearing mail) is discussed at this forum link... https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7250820