Apple System Upgrade

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Has anyone upgraded to OSX El Capitan, and if so, have you experienced any issues?

I would like to upgrade to OSX El Capitan but I've read that MagicJack doesn't play with it yet. Anybody tried it with MagicJack?

I upgraded one of my two Macbook Pro laptops yesterday. So far it works well. Seems a bit faster than Yosemite. I don't know about MagicJack.

I've heard it depends on whether or not you plug the Magic Jack into the USB port on your Mac, or into the router. If you use it directly with a router, it's fine. Some have reported driver issues when it's plugged into the Mac under El Cap, though.

I am upgrading to El Capitan on a seven year old MacBook as I write this. I should have a feel for it in about an hour. My old MacBook runs well but slow. The best and most reliable computer I have ever owned. Hopefully, El Capitan won't change that.

Last edited:
I am upgrading to El Capitan on a seven year old MacBook as I write this. I should have a feel for it in about an hour. My old MacBook runs well but slow. The best and most reliable computer I have ever owned.

We have El Cap running on a late 2008 unibody MacBook. Runs better than Yosemite, IMO. I'm surprised that a machine that old is still capable of running the "latest and greatest". Then again, we have a PC laptop from about 2005 which is running Windows 10 reasonably well, so....

> Runs better than Yosemite

Right. El Capitan is a mainly an "under the hood" release (similar to how Snow Leopard was a mostly under the hood release following Leopard. Note that El Capitan is located in Yosemite. See how they did that...)

Anyway, I ran into zero problems on the various older Macs we have around the house.

We have El Cap running on a late 2008 unibody MacBook. Runs better than Yosemite, IMO. I'm surprised that a machine that old is still capable of running the "latest and greatest". Then again, we have a PC laptop from about 2005 which is running Windows 10 reasonably well, so....

Good to know. I have a stable system now on my 5 year old iMac, so I was hesitating to upgrade to El Cap but I'll go ahead.

I want to make sure Aperture works first.

There is talk that the new 5K iMac supports 10-bit color on El Capitan but no applications yet which supports it.

I upgraded on (2) desktop iMacs.

The only issue I experienced was with the Apple mail client. After both installs the inbox was empty. Per a suggestion on the Apple discussion forum, I ran the Mailbox, Rebuild commands from the menu and the mail became visible again.

My El Capitan upgrade worked well and it is up and running. The only glitch was that Messages was showing phone numbers and not names. Stopping and starting the app fixed that.

I'm waiting. DH has been testing it with his apps on an an older machine - mainly Aperture. He did find lots of issues, not sure if all have been fixed. We haven't brought it up on our main machines yet. I'm worried about Lightroom - there appear to be some issues.

I upgraded on (2) desktop iMacs.

The only issue I experienced was with the Apple mail client. After both installs the inbox was empty. Per a suggestion on the Apple discussion forum, I ran the Mailbox, Rebuild commands from the menu and the mail became visible again.

While I would have searched for a solution, that would definitely freak me out. Surprised Apple would create an issue for one of their primary apps.

I'll probably wait a few weeks to hear if there is any fallout before I install

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

I recommend waiting a little while to upgrade. I fix Macs for a living.

Last edited:
I upgraded yesterday on my MacBook Pro and haven't run into any issues yet.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom