Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We use both Roku and Apple TV. Both work great.

Roku we stream Amazon prime and Netflix.

Apple TV can also do Netflix but no amazon prime. Apple TV is great to mirror what is on your macbook, iPad, or iPhone. I use it to watch NFL football replays (full games and condensed).
Also use it for slide shows and music from any of our devices or from home network hard drives.

Content is basically all tv programs and movies (but not recent ones).

Cost for all this including the NFL is about $21 per month. We have no cable tv so not bad. Use antenna for crystal clear local channels.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Doesn't Hulu and Hulu+ have ads? I'm spoiled by my DVR - I can't stand commercials. As cheap as I am, I think I'd rather pay $65/month for my Dish and DVR shows and skip commercials than get it free and have to watch comercials.
I'm about $100 plus NHL and NFL package. If my internet speed was faster and NFL sold their games on internet like NHL does, I would probably cancel. But until then I keep telling myself divide the bill by 30 days and it's still the cheapest form of entertainment I spend money on. This makes me feel better when I cut the monthly check.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Looks like for us the answer is OTA and a streaming device if I want to dump DishTV. I need to look into antennas, and see if I can get enough OTA channels where I am (about 50 mi from Chicago proper). Already have a suitable internet feed and TVs.

I saw my first 4K TV today - WOW! But I'll wait until there's way more native content and prices come down. It was an amazing picture though...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
A drawback of Roku, I once read in a review, was that it had some advert or other on-screen garbage that took up the bottom 1/3 of the screen, and which was either difficult or impossible to delete. Can anyone with Roku confirm/deny/elaborate?
All we have had is Roku to watch Netflix for 5+ years. No ads or on-screen garbage on the screen (ever). For us it is great because we can watch it from both houses for only the Netflix charge. Finally got a second Roku unit so we don't need to take Roku back and forth.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Doesn't Hulu and Hulu+ have ads? I'm spoiled by my DVR - I can't stand commercials. As cheap as I am, I think I'd rather pay $65/month for my Dish and DVR shows and skip commercials than get it free and have to watch comercials.
Hulu+ has 1 or two 20 to 30 sec ads at the usual show commercial breaks. Short, easy to mute and take a break if needed. Much less than cable or broadcast TV.

A hour show that lasts an hour on regular broadcast TV with ads on Hulu+ show maybe lasts 46-48 mins. That's a lot of reduced ad time!

If it's a show from PBS - no ads during show.

Does not bother me. All my cable channels have way more ads than that.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #26

First... a lot of comments above, that I don't really understand, about bad picture quality, and having to have a superfast connection... I've used two streaming players at the same time when I had a 3MB connection. Anyway...
FWIW... A Sony N-200 and a Roku HD.
First as far as channels on Roku:
Netflix (streaming only) $8/mo. and with thousands of free movies, TV series and documentaries etc... I mean, like some of the series have nearly 200 episodes. No Commercials.

The Hulu free, does have commercials, but we don't use it at all.
Roku has, built in, hundreds of movie sites... specialties... some free, with limited commercials, some with lots of commercials, and many, like Netflix, subscription channels. Specialty channels, like Cowboy movies, or high school sports... Horror films... etc...They even have the "Dog" channel for free.
In total, about 750 Channels according to the literature.
To sign on to the some channels, you usually have to to go to the Channel Website, and get a "code" which you then input to Roku.
Roku doesn't have You Tube as a "native" channel, but there is a free "workaround" that's easy to add, using the Roku Developer program.

BTW.. YouTube has about 1000 movies... they come and go as copyrights are challenged... Some films come from foreign countries... the sound is in English, but the subtitles are in the foreign language.
Enter into the URL space... PEGLEG.IT for a YouTube movie selection website. (takes a while to come up....)
For a listing of Netflix movies... INSTANTWATCHER.COM has reviews and a star rating (not too good tho).

All of the major National Channels... ABC, NBC, CBs, NPR, and places like Fox, Weather, Espn, LinkTV are there.... along with many, many on-line websites, like WSJ, RT, Huffington, NewsMax, Motley Fool, and a hundred others ... Most of the Free channels, on a click for content basis... as in specials, or short clips, but some continuous streaming.
Lots of "trailer" channels.
My Sony N200 has as a native channel, YouTube... but also has a huge selections of other channels...
A word about features... I like the Roku remote interface... easier to use. Also, the Roku, has a better Stop action, and fast forward with icon screens, which the Sony does not. The new Roku 3 has a place on the remote for a plug in headphone. The Roku, also has a bigger, more easily read "selection" screen.

My Roku does not have an ethernet plug, but I believe the Roku3 does. The Roku 3 does not support a standard TV, only HD... with an HDMI connection. The earlier versions do... RCA connections.
The Roku3 also has a fantastic search engine, intuitive, sometimes with just two or three letters... and... it goes "cross channel", so if your movie choice is "Deliverance" and it's only Hulu, it will show up...

I have Never... had the streaming break down, or lost a channel... the worst has been a teeny tiney bit of pixelating on one or two movies. Initial connection is faster on Roku than the Sony, but not a problem.
My son has Chromecast, and likes it, but reviews list some limitations,

All in all... at the present time, we still keep DirectV, because I use it at our cam as well as the house... And DW has her favorite channels, and doesn't like to do the search thing... besides... for some strange reason, she like the commercials. We live just beyond the Chicago and Rock Island network channels... so would miss the news and weather. I expect that in another year, we'll drop DirecTV, and just use the streaming channels, saving $700/yr.

A little aside here, for anyone who doesn't have Netflix... Once you sign up, you can use it on two different players... as... one person can watch on a laptop, while another can watch a different channel on the TV.

The Roku3 has a USB port.. You can play MP4 (H.264), MKV (H.264); Audio: AAC, MP3; Image: JPG, PNG... and I think AVI... My older Sony had a USB and I play movies diectly from a Seagate 3T hard drive... all formats. Very slick and fast.

Not much good as a review, but just things that came to me...
Old 11-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A drawback of Roku, I once read in a review, was that it had some advert or other on-screen garbage that took up the bottom 1/3 of the screen, and which was either difficult or impossible to delete. Can anyone with Roku confirm/deny/elaborate?
I have never seen anything like this. When I watch something on Roku I see it on the entire screen.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
The problem with TiVo is a relatively high equipment cost ($200+) *and* something like a $15 monthly fee. Plus, the only version they make for OTA is a very low end box with little storage. (The more spacious units are dedicated to cable users.)
You got that backwards.. I have TIVO OTA. TIVO is high end with more storage than ANYthing else. The latest TIVO unit is a THREE TERABYTE HD DVR with a 6 channel tuner! If there's something better or more spacious out there, please enlighten me.

Even the previous model TIVO Premeire (now at a bargain price of $49 since the Romeo came out) could record 300 hours of programming and that's nothing compared to the new Romeo or whatever its called.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I REALLY like not having to record anything in order to watch it later.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #30

You can also get movies on demand (like the old pay-per-view) on these streaming devices. Vudu is one of the providers. Useful if the movie you want to watch isn't on netflix or other channel that you subscribe to.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have never seen anything like this. When I watch something on Roku I see it on the entire screen.
That was a few months ago. Maybe they've got a new interface since then. I just googled to see if I could find those reviews again. This may have been it (Michael Batt comment, and others):
+1000 to all of the comments on the ad placement. It's horrible!. It takes up about 35% of the screen! Come on, Roku, you people are better than that. Integrate an option to disable this within the settings for those of us who want to.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
You got that backwards.. I have TIVO OTA. TIVO is high end with more storage than ANYthing else. The latest TIVO unit is a THREE TERABYTE HD DVR with a 6 channel tuner! If there's something better or more spacious out there, please enlighten me.]
I'm only seeing these cavernous storage amounts for the cable versions of Tivo, not the OTA.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That was a few months ago. Maybe they've got a new interface since then. I just googled to see if I could find those reviews again. This may have been it (Michael Batt comment, and others):
+1000 to all of the comments on the ad placement. It's horrible!. It takes up about 35% of the screen! Come on, Roku, you people are better than that. Integrate an option to disable this within the settings for those of us who want to.
It sounds like the ad is only on the set-up page, where you chose the 'channel' you want - not on during the program. I can't imagine they could get away with that.

I have the older ROKU, and it does not support this update. The update sounds pretty flaky though, so that's fine with me.

-ERD50
Old 11-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #34

After I subscribed to Netflix, I reduced my DishNetwork programming. The moved saved money. The only reason I am still subscribing to DishNetwork is for GolfChannel which my wife watches a lot. Besides the wide range of programming on Netflix, I like the fact that many Netflix programs are showing in Super HD. They will also support UHD in 2014.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'm only seeing these cavernous storage amounts for the cable versions of Tivo, not the OTA.
It's the same device. The last two TIVO boxes that came out starting with the Premier can do either cable or OTA. I have a Premier TiVo box without any cable connection and a 2 lb , 30" long antenna that's optimized for Digital HD broadcast and TiVo programming is all tailored to my local broadcast channels. I get a perfect HD picture and I set up a season pass to automatically record all my fav shows plus any NCAA football game broadcast on NBC ABC CBS or Fox. Plus the TiVo box gets Amazon, Huluplus and Netflix streaming.

I pay $15/ mo for the TiVo programming and $7.99 for Netflix and Huluplus.

Total of $31/month. I can't even come close to watching all that's recorded for me each week and I never have to watch a commercial anymore.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #36

The TIVO Premiere is being discontinued, although it looks like TIVO is offering some substantial discounts on the inventory they still have to clear it out. The base model is now only $49.00 and can be used with an OTA antenna. I have this model, along with the TIVO Stream, which lets me watch anything on the TIVO on my iPad and iPhone. I use this all the time. I don't have a television in my kitchen, but when I'm cooking I like to watch some television. My iPad becomes an instant TV in any room with no additional fees.

The Roamio is the new line of Tivos. The base model does not include streaming, and can only record 75 hours, but it does support an OTA antenna.

The Plus and Pro both have much larger hard drives and built in iPad streaming, but they don't support OTA antennas, only cable cards. So if OTA is important, get the base level Roamio, and add a Stream if you want to watch on your iPad. Either pay $15.00 per month of just buy the lifetime warranty. I've had two lifetime warranties on my Tivos, and I've always been able to convince TIVO to let me transfer them to new boxes. It takes a little nudging and speaking with a supervisor, but they have always let me do it. I've had TIVO boxes for more than ten years now, so the lifetime subscriptions have been a bargain compared with paying a monthly fee every month.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I'm missing it and I'll keep looking, but Netflix and Hulu seem make it as difficult as possible to see all the channels/networks they offer. I'd like to know exactly what shows we stand to lose since I am having to sell DW on this change. They make it very easy to sign up of course, but not see what you're signing up for exactly. Kinda reminds me of the cable and satellite providers who also make it as irritating as possible...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Browse TV Shows - Hulu TV shows - this has some search capability, and another tab for movies.

The available content does change from time to time and much of it is contracted.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #39

and this for Roku... Not all channels, but for starters:
https://www.roku.com/channels/#!brow...-tv/by-popular

Within most of the channels, there are many subsets see "details".

They add channels on a regular basis... One of the new ones, "Snag" has many totally free films... I haven't gotten to explore most of the newer channels.

On the link above, if you want to see what news channels are available, just put "news" in the search box... and you'll see 60+ sources. Or... search "music" to see about 90 channels. Only 40 sports channels.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #40

The Roku unit I tried insisted on me giving it personal info (email address and credit card) before Roku would allow the unit to be activated. I returned it for a Sony brand streaming box that has no such requirements. Another thing I like about the Sony is it always automatically sets the correct aspect ratio of Netflix content: no more very wide or very skinny people!