Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I've been following simple.tv. I like the concept, but they seem to be having massive start-up issues. It gets pretty ugly here:

Invision Power Board

Maybe the collaboration with silicondust will help (their first gen was w/o silicondust).

Let us know how it goes, I don't watch much TV, but I'd prefer being able to record and watch on my schedule, and to pause live TV. We already have a couple older Roku boxes and Netflix.

-ERD50
The hope is silicon dust hardware will cure all that ails simple.tv gen 1 devices. Its my turn to be an early adopter.,, Will post my experience when possible.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn4 View Post
Looks like Simple TV is really a DVR for OTA .... still needs an antenna and/or cable .... but does stream those recorded shows thru either the Roku or through an iPad/Android.
Simple.tv does require an antenna... to be expected for OTA. I also expect simple.tv to stream both live and recorded programming through the ROKU.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSkier View Post
Simple.tv does require an antenna... to be expected for OTA. I also expect simple.tv to stream both live and recorded programming through the ROKU.
I'm curious as to how well it works. My only gripe is that you have to subscribe to record non-live programming. I wonder if that's because you need to pay for the electronic programming guide? Since I get this for free now, I don't feel like paying extra to record content at a future date. Otherwise, it looks like a great product.

I noticed that they support the Apple TV. Do you know how? When I select the Apple TV link on their website, nothing happens. It seems odd that they can support Apple TV since it's a closed platform.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
We use both Roku and Apple TV. Both work great.

Roku we stream Amazon prime and Netflix.

Apple TV can also do Netflix but no amazon prime. Apple TV is great to mirror what is on your macbook, iPad, or iPhone. I use it to watch NFL football replays (full games and condensed).
Also use it for slide shows and music from any of our devices or from home network hard drives.

Content is basically all tv programs and movies (but not recent ones).

Cost for all this including the NFL is about $21 per month. We have no cable tv so not bad. Use antenna for crystal clear local channels.
Tonight we tried video streaming from Amazon Prime using the AppleTV Airplay built into the later MacOSs. It works great!

Watching "Skyfall" right now.

So we don't need a Roku to use Amazon Prime video streaming.

Audrey
Old 04-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've just ordered a G-Box MX2 Midnight after reviewing Roku, and others. Hopefully, it is good enough to cancel my netflix subscription.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I've just ordered a G-Box MX2 Midnight after reviewing Roku, and others. Hopefully, it is good enough to cancel my netflix subscription.
Not! The box freezes too often. I can't change XBMC's 720p to 1080p. It's slow to navigate from one app to another. In sum, the product needs to mature quite a bit before I would cancel Netflix (which I am watching in Super HD - 1080p in Netflix's definition).