Apple TV vs Roku 1/2/3 vs Chromecast vs others?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We don't have any of them, but I note from another thread many here do. I don't want to be on the hook for more subscription channels, and I'm not sure what free channels are included aside from youtube (too low res for an HDTV?). And it's not clear to me if they're compelling enough (better integration between TV-Internet-other yet to come?) to jump on board yet. And finally, since we have mixed ecosystems in our house Win/Apple/Android - that compounds our problem. What am I missing?

I don't know much about AppleTV, but we have Roku (+Plex) and WDTV Live boxes running on our TVs. They work well at streaming content to the TV. but my impression is that the free channels aren't all that worthwhile. We'll hunt through the free stuff for some old schlocky movies on occasion, but mostly end up streaming Netflix to the TVs.

There's good content on Hulu for free (not bothering with Hulu+), but we have to watch that on our PCs as we haven't found a good way to stream that to our TVs through any of our set-top devices. I believe that Hulu discourages streaming of their free service to drive folks toward Hulu+, but we refuse to bite. Netflix is enough of a monthly expense.

The short answer is: Buy one of the Internet TV devices if you need a streaming mechanism, but not as a stand-alone source of content.

We have Chromecast. IMO for $35 it is a no-brainer. I use it for YouTube (used it to project America's Cup races on my HDTV and the resolution was superb). Netflix is also supported as are most webpages using Chrome.

Only thing I don't like is that I can't cast an Amazon Instant Video in a Chrome browers using Chromecast so if I want to do that I just hook it up via a hardwire.

So one of the big appeals is subscribing to and streaming Netflix instead of paying for cable/satellite premium movie channels? We don't have any premium movie channels, but I could see where Netflix might provide better choice and cost...

Last edited:
I would consider that if I had good OTA reception. Unfortunately I need my cable (Dish in my case) to get my locals so the incremental cost for additional channels is low.

Love AppleTV and with our $8 a month Hulu+ subscription, we'll probably be dropping cable soon. We don't watch cable anymore. We just need to switch our alarm system to cellphone so we can drop the digital phone which is part of our package.

But you do need a 6Mbps download speed on your Internet connection to get full 1080i HD content. Lower speed still delivers 720p HD content which is not bad at all.

Last edited:
Netflix and Hulu Plus are about all a person needs unless one is really into sports, or just has to be able to watch the new movies as soon as possible. I have a Roku and really enjoy it. It always works and has a huge number of channels, most of them of no interest, but the other day I got a great recipe for tiramisu from the Italian cooking channel. :)

If you are into the Apple ecosystem the great thing about Apple TV is that you can use Airplay to send what ever is on your computer to the TV, IIRC.

One more point, there are a number of films and shows that are not available via streaming, so you may want to consider the Netflix 1 disk at a time plan. It sort of fills things out and really gives cable TV the final kick to the curb.

Last edited:
If something like Apple TV or a Roku box had a good, integrated OTA tuner and DVR, I'd be all over it.
Well, we don't need a DVR, because most of the programming we watch OTA is available via Hulu+. In fact, most of what we watch on Hulu+ is OTA programming that we watch later at our convenience.

There is at least a year's worth of programming available - often far more.

Have you looked at a Tivo box? I think it may get you 2/3rds there or perhaps more.
The problem with TiVo is a relatively high equipment cost ($200+) *and* something like a $15 monthly fee. Plus, the only version they make for OTA is a very low end box with little storage. (The more spacious units are dedicated to cable users.)

If something like Apple TV or a Roku box had a good, integrated OTA tuner and DVR, I'd be all over it.
That's why I've hesitated. When the internet devices can fully replace cable/satellite/DVR we'd be all over it. If we can stream programming anytime after original airing, we wouldn't even miss the DVR. I don't get having Apple TV or Roku AND cable/satellite (though maybe Netflix streaming is a good alternative to cable premium movie channels) - but I may misunderstand.

Last edited:
I have all three, but I don't use them. I forget how to use the controls so I don't bother.

The problem with TiVo is a relatively high equipment cost ($200+) *and* something like a $15 monthly fee. Plus, the only version they make for OTA is a very low end box with little storage. (The more spacious units are dedicated to cable users.)
A Hulu+ account is half that monthly fee. And you can watch the programming anywhere you have an Internet connection - iPad, laptop, anyone's home TV who has an AppleTV or other compatible device. You aren't restricted to the box connected to your TV at home. And you don't have to set it up to program either.

We use this "portability" feature often.

The HD programming delivered by Hulu+ looks fantastic on the iPad with Retina display.

A drawback of Roku, I once read in a review, was that it had some advert or other on-screen garbage that took up the bottom 1/3 of the screen, and which was either difficult or impossible to delete. Can anyone with Roku confirm/deny/elaborate?

Just checked - we have a Roku3 puck and I see no ads. Big fan of Roku3 - remote works via WiFi, so no aiming and creeping up on the tv to have it work, remote has headphone jack for silent viewing, Netflix and Hulu @ $16 total give us way way more tv than is healthy.

The Roku takes up a hockey-puck worth of space, uses a miniscule amount of electricity, works without tweaking, and if you feel the desire you can use a Iphone or android app to control it. We find no need for a DVR with the Roku - the programs are pretty much all out there waiting to be beamed to your set whenever you want. Oh - another cool thing - the series you watched starting 1/2 way through the second season? Netflix and Hulu mostly have all the episodes starting from the Pilot forward.

No Dish, no DirecTv, no problem.

Doesn't Hulu and Hulu+ have ads? I'm spoiled by my DVR - I can't stand commercials. As cheap as I am, I think I'd rather pay $65/month for my Dish and DVR shows and skip commercials than get it free and have to watch comercials.

We have Apple TV, but we haven't used it since last winter. Don't have much time for tv except for winter. I think I'll fire up Apple tv tonight and see if it still works. Besides tv shows and movies, I like it for streaming photos and music

Doesn't Hulu and Hulu+ have ads? I'm spoiled by my DVR - I can't stand commercials. As cheap as I am, I think I'd rather pay $65/month for my Dish and DVR shows and skip commercials than get it free and have to watch comercials.

Hulu does have ads, which are distasteful, but also has a lot of normal type tv series programing. I tend to watch more Netflix, SWMBO more Hulu.

We use both Roku and Apple TV. Both work great.

Roku we stream Amazon prime and Netflix.

Apple TV can also do Netflix but no amazon prime. Apple TV is great to mirror what is on your macbook, iPad, or iPhone. I use it to watch NFL football replays (full games and condensed).
Also use it for slide shows and music from any of our devices or from home network hard drives.

Content is basically all tv programs and movies (but not recent ones).

Cost for all this including the NFL is about $21 per month. We have no cable tv so not bad. Use antenna for crystal clear local channels.

I'm about $100 plus NHL and NFL package. If my internet speed was faster and NFL sold their games on internet like NHL does, I would probably cancel. But until then I keep telling myself divide the bill by 30 days and it's still the cheapest form of entertainment I spend money on. This makes me feel better when I cut the monthly check.

Looks like for us the answer is OTA and a streaming device if I want to dump DishTV. I need to look into antennas, and see if I can get enough OTA channels where I am (about 50 mi from Chicago proper). Already have a suitable internet feed and TVs.

I saw my first 4K TV today - WOW! But I'll wait until there's way more native content and prices come down. It was an amazing picture though...

Last edited:
A drawback of Roku, I once read in a review, was that it had some advert or other on-screen garbage that took up the bottom 1/3 of the screen, and which was either difficult or impossible to delete. Can anyone with Roku confirm/deny/elaborate?

All we have had is Roku to watch Netflix for 5+ years. No ads or on-screen garbage on the screen (ever). For us it is great because we can watch it from both houses for only the Netflix charge. Finally got a second Roku unit so we don't need to take Roku back and forth.

Hulu+ has 1 or two 20 to 30 sec ads at the usual show commercial breaks. Short, easy to mute and take a break if needed. Much less than cable or broadcast TV.

A hour show that lasts an hour on regular broadcast TV with ads on Hulu+ show maybe lasts 46-48 mins. That's a lot of reduced ad time!

If it's a show from PBS - no ads during show.

Does not bother me. All my cable channels have way more ads than that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom