Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Apple upgrade program? Apple Care Plus?
Old 10-31-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Apple upgrade program? Apple Care Plus?

We’ve been an Apple household for years. Our Mac’s are now old enough (8 years old) that the software upgrades no longer work with our models. And we’re already thinking of buying new phones as we have iPhone 6’s that are several years old.

For those Apple folks out there, do you think the upgrade program is worth it? And what about Apple Care Plus? We’ve typically kept our things a long time but I can see the appeal of upgrading more frequently given how quickly technology advances.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2018, 12:13 PM   #2

Just one opinion:

I buy the AppleCare for iPhones, but not for anything else. We've used it several times so it has been more than worth it. When something has happened to an iPhone they have never repaired it, just given us a brand new one. The bigger machines, iPads, MacBooks, etc., have never had a problem within what would have been the AppleCare time frame so that has been money saved.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
gone traveling

I buy AppleCare for iMacs because repair costs are huge. Used it once or twice.
Never buy for iPhones and have never had an iPhone needing repair.
YMMV
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We have two iMacs - iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017) and iMac (20-inch, Early 2008)

I've never had a plan with either. The 2008 model has extra memory that I installed and runs El Capitan. We use it mainly for Picasa. (I can't transfer Picasa to my new one)

I bought the 2017 because I like playing games on the desktop and the 2008 was too slow.

I've had a 3GS, 4S, 5S, 6S+, 8+, and now a Xs Max. I've never had Apple Care on any of them. I've never had any problems with them either. I always traded my old phone in when replacing it. Last month I got $150 for the 6S+ at the Apple Store.

For us, Apple Care is something I wouldn't consider. YMMV
COHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:53 PM   #5

My iPhone 6 was exposed to a miniscule amount of water during a torrential downpour (it was in my pants pocket, headphone jack side up (Remember those, sigh). The painted moisture indicator had not turned anything but slightly pink (?). So, very little water got in. But two days later the phone was dead. Almost completely. Under Apple Care, I was able to get a replacement for something like $150. My wife has broken her screen twice. Maybe with the new high-end X versions, you don't need it...but wait...a screen replacement can cost $250+?!!!
HI Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #6

Desktop wise the new Mac mini’s just came out and they look pretty good. I probably would not get AppleCare if you got one of those. Personally I don’t get Apple care for my phone, but I can see reasons for getting it if you think you are prone to placing it in hazard. I usually keep my iPhone for a while until there’s a marked improvement in the camera or display. Usually the processing performance is good enough for me.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:26 PM   #7

In the past we’ve kept our phones for several years before upgrading, but as technology progresses I was thinking that upgrading every year could be a fun way to “blow that dough.”
Old 11-04-2018, 02:43 PM   #8
Administrator

When we got our current iPhones 6 I looked at Apple Care Plus, chose not to buy because the cost of 2 policies plus the deductible for one incident was close to 1/2 the cost of a new phone. Add to that the cost of 2 cases and screen protectors, it was more than 1/2, which is too expensive IMO.

Instead, I bought them with a credit card that gives purchase protection and extended warranty. Not the same, but at least some additional coverage. The cases make it less likely the phone will be damaged.

If it were just one phone I might consider the AppleCare and forget the protective case.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Some thoughts:
  • Cases sometimes also cause breakage. Just saying that a case and screen protector may not in the real world be all they are cracked up to be. Cases adding bulkiness also makes them harder to handle at times, leading to drops.
  • Your credit cared warranty doesn't cover theft like AppleCare plus has these days, and you will be without your phone for a few weeks if you need repairs..just two of the downsides of relying on that
  • If somebody goes AppleCare, maybe skip the cost of screen protectors and cases in my opinion. Then if you need to pay the copay, it isn't so bad. I used to use a case and screen protector on my Palm Pilot years ago, and my first iPhone, but my phone has been naked ever since, even during years I didn't have AppleCare.
  • Apple's upgrade program includes applecare built into the monthly payment, so it costs more than some of the carriers (like Verizon). If you don't want AppleCare, use Verizon's upgrade program, and don't upgrade your phone the following year, when your device is paid off in 24 months you didn't pay any extra money (0% APR) and had use of that money's earning potential. Of course, you will be tempted to upgrade every year though. And if you do want AppleCare, Apple's upgrade program is also 0% apr. So either way, going with the upgrade program makes sense to me, even if you don't plan on upgrading. For Verizon you can use either Apple's program or Verizon's upgrade program from the apple.com site (at least you could during this last launch)
  • I am back to having AppleCare on our phones, which we do tend to upgrade every year now because of that silly program, lol. Now that I have faceID though I may not next year. However, batteries don't seem to last beyond 2-3 years in holding top charges, and we are paying more (sales tax, $30 line upgrades each year, etc.) but also get a new phone. Phones are dropped a lot and I think industry stats showed I have about a 50% chance of coming out ahead by AppleCare. So 50% chance of not needing it too, but the peace of mind, especially for my wife, is worth it.
  • For some odd reason I did get AppleCare on our new iPads. Normally I don't go for extended warranties because we can afford to be our own insurance on them, but we also plant to keep these iPads for a while and they do travel outside of our home. Back when be bought our iMac (2015?) I did not get AppleCare. It doesn't move around or leave the house.
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Some thoughts:
  • Cases sometimes also cause breakage. Just saying that a case and screen protector may not in the real world be all they are cracked up to be. Cases adding bulkiness also makes them harder to handle at times, leading to drops.
  • Your credit cared warranty doesn't cover theft like AppleCare plus has these days, and you will be without your phone for a few weeks if you need repairs..just two of the downsides of relying on that
  • If somebody goes AppleCare, maybe skip the cost of screen protectors and cases in my opinion. Then if you need to pay the copay, it isn't so bad. I used to use a case and screen protector on my Palm Pilot years ago, and my first iPhone, but my phone has been naked ever since, even during years I didn't have AppleCare.
  • Apple's upgrade program includes applecare built into the monthly payment, so it costs more than some of the carriers (like Verizon). If you don't want AppleCare, use Verizon's upgrade program, and don't upgrade your phone the following year, when your device is paid off in 24 months you didn't pay any extra money (0% APR) and had use of that money's earning potential. Of course, you will be tempted to upgrade every year though. And if you do want AppleCare, Apple's upgrade program is also 0% apr. So either way, going with the upgrade program makes sense to me, even if you don't plan on upgrading. For Verizon you can use either Apple's program or Verizon's upgrade program from the apple.com site (at least you could during this last launch)
  • I am back to having AppleCare on our phones, which we do tend to upgrade every year now because of that silly program, lol. Now that I have faceID though I may not next year. However, batteries don't seem to last beyond 2-3 years in holding top charges, and we are paying more (sales tax, $30 line upgrades each year, etc.) but also get a new phone. Phones are dropped a lot and I think industry stats showed I have about a 50% chance of coming out ahead by AppleCare. So 50% chance of not needing it too, but the peace of mind, especially for my wife, is worth it.
  • For some odd reason I did get AppleCare on our new iPads. Normally I don't go for extended warranties because we can afford to be our own insurance on them, but we also plant to keep these iPads for a while and they do travel outside of our home. Back when be bought our iMac (2015?) I did not get AppleCare. It doesn't move around or leave the house.

Thanks for this, Sunny, very helpful thoughts.