Join Early Retirement Today

Appliances & appliance repair
Old 08-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Appliances & appliance repair

Thanks, Martha & Jeff<blush>! C'mon down and set a spell--I just had the lower (baking) element of my oven replaced this morning, so I'm back in the peach cobbler business
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Scott Burns nails it
Old 08-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
I just had the lower (baking) element of my oven replaced this morning, so I'm back in the peach cobbler business*
Oh, that reminds me that mine burned out <blush> many years ago. How much do they cost to have replaced these days and is it something that your average clueless computer nerd can do without making a big hole in the floor?
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #3

It cost $120 including labor (~half), but we have a kinda fancy stove--30" Thermador dual fuel--gas cooktop w/elec oven--so the part proably cost twice as much as a normal stove and was twice as complex to replace. My DH is a computer nerd too, but above-average in the handyman department, and I think he could've done it, but he's never done this before and might not know how on this stove. But school started today and he wasn't here when the part came in. At the same time I had a dishwasher problem fixed--and this fix was more complex and might've been beyond DH, even though he has installed dishwashers himself. It was an electrical rather than a plumbing problem with the controls on the lower drawer of our Fisher Paykel 2-drawer dishwasher...stupid high-end appliances!!

(1) Turn off the oven's circuit breaker.
(2) Know what to disassemble in your stove and have the knowhow and tools to do it.
(3) Have a hemostat handy to grab the very short wire after disconnecting the old element.
(4) Attach the new element (I couldn't see how from my position).
(5) Test.
(6) Flip circuit breaker back on.

The whole process took maybe 10-15 minutes. Ditto for the dishwasher. This is the same guy who installed our appliances and has come out a few times for various issues. He's a wonderful conversationalist, so I confess to enjoying his company despite the bill.

MORAL For proper LBYM and successful FIRE, get ordinary appliances
Old 08-14-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
(3) Have a hemostat handy to grab the very short wire after disconnecting the old element.
What a great idea! This probably works a lot better than locking vice grips... I'll have to add a couple to my toolbox. Thanks!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My DH is a computer nerd too, but above-average in the handyman department
Well, I am not just your average computer nerd. At one point I managed to acquire a science degree along the way as well as minor in liberal arts. Appliances have been known to explode whenever I looked at them funny!

Quote:
MORAL* *For proper LBYM and successful FIRE, get ordinary appliances*
Thanks for the advice! [wanders off to call a handyman]
Old 08-14-2006, 02:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge
Appliances have been known to explode whenever I looked at them funny!
I've often wondered if I give off some sort of rays that disable mechanical and electrical devices. Most hubbies would ban such a wife from their favorite electronics, etc, but not mine--he insists that I not only use them but help fix them (add computer memory, drill holes...). I think his theory is that if I make friends with the devices they will like me better
Old 08-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think his theory is that if I make friends with the devices they will like me better*
Another theory is that he's trying to train you to shoulder your half of the repair load...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't have a problem with computer hardware and consumer electronics. I can usually get them to work if I spend the time needed to translate Japanese English into American English. I am not sure what it is about appliances that makes them different. Too much input from mechanical engineers, perhaps?
Old 08-14-2006, 04:03 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, roach clips hemostats are handy to have...

I think most oven elements will be connected to the wiring via spade-type connectors that slip on or screw on.

As with ANY electrical repair, test the circuit with a meter before beginning, or RE could mean "roasted early".

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
MORAL For proper LBYM and successful FIRE, get ordinary appliances
Wow, another appliance repair discussion! Here's my chance to offer a plug (again) for the amazing Staber washing machine. Designed to be easily repaired (nothing that can't be reached from the front, etc), built like a tank, and uses very little water due to the horizontal axis of the drum. And, manufactured by a small company right in Ohio. I think we've had ours for about a year now, it is working great.

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote