Appliances - Repair or Replace?

One benefit of a new higher end dishwasher like Bosch is that they are very quiet. We can barely hear whether ours is on or not.

The specific question is about a built in dishwasher, but feel free to bring up any household kitchen appliance. Gone are the days when a service call was $25, and the hourly labor was $35. And gone is the price of $349 that we paid when I bought and installed our dishwasher in 2004, when we bought our home.
(

Our dishwasher just died this week. It appears to be the water circulating pump/motor and also possibly the main controller. The dishwasher is a Bosch that we bought 11 years ago. The repair estimates were running in the range of $800-$900 for a new pump and controller for our model so we decided it wasn't worth repairing it. We like the ultra quiet Bosch dishwashers so just ordered another one. The installation charge is only $100 including the haul away of the old one. So I wasn't even worthwhile to do a DIY installation.

I don't know what kind of dishwasher you bought for $349 in 2004, but in this world you get what you pay for. Also keep in mind all those items that have been in a deflationary spiral over the past 2-3 decades - computers, cell phones, cameras, and other electronics.

A home has a lot of moving parts. It helps to be handy to deal with most repairs own your own but sometimes it's just better to replace rather than repair.

Our dishwasher just died this week. It appears to be the water circulating pump/motor and also possibly the main controller. The dishwasher is a Bosch that we bought 11 years ago. The repair estimates were running in the range of $800-$900 for a new pump and controller for our model so we decided it wasn't worth repairing it. We like the ultra quiet Bosch dishwashers so just ordered another one. The installation charge is only $100 including the haul away of the old one. So I wasn't even worthwhile to do a DIY installation.

I don't know what kind of dishwasher you bought for $349 in 2004, but in this world you get what you pay for.
I'm not sure if dishwashers fall into the "you get what you pay for" bin, unless having 15 cycles, stainless steel interior, controls hidden on top of the door, etc are things a buyer really wants. Our "one step up from the bottom" Whirlpool dishwasher is now 12 years old, I paid about what imoldernu paid (ETA: It looks like it would cost about $380 today). The pump/motor did crump out at about 8 years, but I replaced it myself in about 45 minutes (no kidding) for about $175 (IIRC) in parts.

I'd put dishwashers in the same category as washing machines: More money tends to buy looks and features, not longevity and effectiveness.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if dishwashers fall into the "you get what you pay for" bin, unless having 15 cycles, stainless steel interior, controls hidden on top of the door, etc are things a buyer really wants. Our "one step up from the bottom" Whirlpool dishwasher is now 12 years old, I paid about what imoldernu paid. The pump motor did crump/pump out at about 8 years, but I replaced it myself in about 45 minutes (no kidding) for about $175 (IIRC) in parts.

I'd put dishwashers in the same category as washing machines: More money tends to buy looks and features, not longevity and effectiveness.

Yes with the higher end Bosch dishwashers you get a stainless steel interior and other features, but what is priceless is how quiet it is and how clean it gets the dishes. Changing out the pump/motor on these Bosch dishwashers requires it to be completely disconnected and removed so it's not a quick and easy task.

I just did a cycle of CLR in our dishwasher to break down some deposits, and they suggest how to do so on the back of the container. It amounted to "start a wash cycle, stop it and then put in about 1 cup of CLR in the bottom where it filled with water, restart and wash as normal (no soap tho). After completed, run again without anything in there to rinse out any CLR residue and then you should have a clean dishwasher you can use as normal.

And for future reference, we found an appliance repair store that came highly recommended through our Nextdoor neighborhood. They do make housecalls to fix things, but they also sell repaired older appliances at their little storefront and for a small fee would deliver and install as well. We got a 20+ year old REALLY good washing machine repaired by them because it was a less than $150 fix and likely will get another 20 years out of it.

Quiet is good

You are missing the point.
Yes with the higher end Bosch dishwashers you get a stainless steel interior and other features, but what is priceless is how quiet it is and how clean it gets the dishes.

Yes with the higher end Bosch dishwashers you get a stainless steel interior and other features, but what is priceless is how quiet it is and how clean it gets the dishes.

+1

I can barely hear our Bosch when it is running. We had one of the traditional brands (GE?) cannot even remember which, in our previous house and it sounded like an airplane taking off.

We try to buy energy efficient appliances and they cost more. Bosch is Energy Star rated. Both it and our clothes washer (also Energy Star rated) take a long time to do a load. That is fine with us. We try to do our part with energy.

When I have an appliance fail or most anything for that matter, I figure I have nothing to lose by trying to fix it myself. If I can’t, I buy a new one, same outcome as if I didn’t try - so why not learn something and maybe save the appliance? I’ve fixed our clothes washer twice (now 26 yo), at a cost of $9 and $20 respectively, and it’s still going strong. The appliance parts guy told me I can’t buy one as good at any price today, said if I don’t overload it, it could run another 25 years.

YouTube has been invaluable. I was able to find a video with our exact model, replacing the exact parts in both cases.

Why not try? You can give up at any point, 2 minutes in or 2 hours. You might even be able to decide just by finding and watching a YouTube video without ever opening your tool box - e.g. expensive or unavailable parts, beyond your DIY abilities, special tools required etc.

Last edited:
You are missing the point.
Some people value an extremely quiet dishwasher (like having a SS panel on front, hidden controls, etc). I don't find it inconvenient to start ours when we are going to bed, or use the 2-6 hour delay start feature. So, as far as I'm concerned, out 54db machine is exactly as noisy/bothersome as a 44 db machine.

BTW, most dishwashers can be quieted considerably with the addition of another layer of cheap polyester batting laid over the top and down the sides of the internal cabinet. It costs about $4 in a fabric store, and this sound insulation is the major difference between some budget models and a more quiet one, for which the customer is charged $100 more. (Not intended as advice. This has not been approved by UL, manufacturers, and cognizant authorities. May cause fire, electrocution, or other severe property damage and/or personal injury. etc)

Seeing the title, before even reading I was going to suggest just going on Youtube, watching some DIY videos and invest maybe $25 trying to fix it. Six years ago, our dryer (about 10 years old at the time) stopped heating and my first thought was just get a new one. However, wife said go look on Youtube - what's there to lose? Sure enough, for maybe $10 or $15 I was able to fix it myself, and it's been fine ever since.

As far as your dishwasher, if you aren't up for trying to fix it, $800 to $1000 total sounds exorbitant. I'd suggest checking on geoutletstore.com - they offer great discounts and come with full warranty. We've replaced our entire kitchen over the years through them and have been extremely happy. Inventory will vary so you may need to keep an eye on it - it is also dependent on your location. Many times they are selling discontinued models from local retailers. For example, our fridge came from a local Home Depot - it was on their floor for $1500 and we bought it for about half that price, which included delivery, install, and removal of the old one.

I just checked on the site for dishwashers, and in my area they have 10 models currently available from $275 to $500. Installation is quoted at $95 (plus possibly some smaller installation kit fees) and haul away of the existing one is $29.

Last edited:
+1

I can barely hear our Bosch when it is running. We had one of the traditional brands (GE?) cannot even remember which, in our previous house and it sounded like an airplane taking off.

We try to buy energy efficient appliances and they cost more. Bosch is Energy Star rated. Both it and our clothes washer (also Energy Star rated) take a long time to do a load. That is fine with us. We try to do our part with energy.

We originally had a GE Profile dishwasher. It was so noisy plus it started leaking. We have GE profile dishwasher in our condo in Florida and we only turn it on when we leave our unit because of the noise. When it breaks down, a Bosch is going it its place.

Appliances are now disposable. Some can't even be taken apart to repair even by the factory authorized repair shops. If its older (built like a tank) and repairable, I'd repair it because "they don't make them like that any more". If its newer, replace it (and budget to replace your replacement in a couple of years)

We have a 27 year old washer & dryer that are "built like a tank". Just had an issue with the washer, and a $1,000 GE Advantium microwave (why I bought that, I'll never know - have not used the "Advantium" capability once!) that wouldn't start. Got both fixed plus him advising on how to have our icemaker not make "grinding" noises now that we turned off the water due to a leak for a total of $85.00 including service call. We have a great appliance fixer guy..very reasonable.

He told us last time he was out and again this time NOT to replace the washer and dryer cuz they "don't make them like that anymore" and new machines are pretty much junk. Apparently all the regulations (water conservation, energy use, etc) have resulted in appliances that don't work as well, are much more costly, and all around no longer what they were 20+ years ago..

I don't even think about fixing appliances because I don't buy expensive stuff and it lasts over 10 years so why bother?

When I have an appliance fail or most anything for that matter, I figure I have nothing to lose by trying to fix it myself. If I can’t, I buy a new one, same outcome as if I didn’t try - so why not learn something and maybe save the appliance? I’ve fixed our clothes washer twice (now 26 yo), at a cost of $9 and $20 respectively, and it’s still going strong. The appliance parts guy told me I can’t buy one as good at any price today, said if I don’t overload it, it could run another 25 years.

YouTube has been invaluable. I was able to find a video with our exact model, replacing the exact parts in both cases.

Why not try? You can give up at any point, 2 minutes in or 2 hours. You might even be able to decide just by finding and watching a YouTube video without ever opening your tool box - e.g. expensive or unavailable parts, beyond your DIY abilities, special tools required etc.

I do try to do my own repairs when I can. I try to troubleshoot and determine if I can repair the appliance on my own before making a decision to replace it. Our Maytag washer and dryer are now 23 years old and still working fine. I replaced the controller and the lid switch on the washer once during that time on my own. It was trivial. I even go as far as replacing components such as relays on circuit cards that have failed which most repair technicians cannot do. However, sometimes its just better to replace rather than continuing to repair over and over again. I learned that lesson with certain swimming pool equipment.

Yes with the higher end Bosch dishwashers you get a stainless steel interior and other features, but what is priceless is how quiet it is and how clean it gets the dishes. Changing out the pump/motor on these Bosch dishwashers requires it to be completely disconnected and removed so it's not a quick and easy task.

My friend had a Bosch and it was quiet, but there are many other dishwashers on the market that are just as quiet.

So far, so good... have run through five different cycles with clean loads, as a test, and no leaks. :dance:

I don't know what kind of dishwasher you bought for $349 in 2004, but in this world you get what you pay for. Also keep in mind all those items that have been in a deflationary spiral over the past 2-3 decades - computers, cell phones, cameras, and other electronics.

It's a Maytag.

Not to hijack the thread, but another vote for Bosch dishwashers. When we did our kitchen remodel this year our 8 year old Bosch was going to trash, but one of the contractors asked if he could have it and was very happy with it. Our new Kitchen Aid is quiet but doesn't clean as well and the cycle is longer.

So far, so good... have run through five different cycles with clean loads, as a test, and no leaks. :dance:

It's a Maytag.

You mean "it's an OLD Maytag?"......the newer ones are just like the rest of the junk out there (lots of plastic parts, low reliability), but they are quiet. :D

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread, but another vote for Bosch dishwashers. When we did our kitchen remodel this year our 8 year old Bosch was going to trash, but one of the contractors asked if he could have it and was very happy with it. Our new Kitchen Aid is quiet but doesn't clean as well and the cycle is longer.

DW and I are finally thinking about shopping for a dishwasher. Our current dishwasher, which was installed in 1982, is still working, but starting to show its age just a bit. When the time comes, we plan to buy a Bosch.

I can still make many repairs but find it more of a PITA. Our homeowners warranty has been good value for us. Our GE Profile dishwasher installed by the builder 18 yrs ago is still working well after two major repairs paid by the warranty. You have to consciously use it to make it worthwhile cost wise, but I underestimated the value of not fretting over the repair or replace decision. It will be interesting to see how they respond when an appliance must be replaced. They put a pump and control board in this DW so far which I’m sure is more than cost to replace with comparable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom