Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OP, keep us posted if he got the job
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2017, 04:04 PM   #42

There is no easier way to show respect than show up dressed for success. Even if "overdressed" you're expressing desire and willingness. A concept not grasped by many applicants.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
All interesting and helpful feedback. Thanks! Definitely some different opinions on the subject.

Overall it seems like if you were to make a mistake as an interviewing intern, it would be better to err on the side of being a bit overdressed. That is unless, as a few people said, you could gather some good info ahead of time about the culture and whether it's better to dress down for that particular interview. If I were running the interview I think my focus would be on attitude, resume and the effort to present well... knowing that this is a first interview with a young individual with no real world experience.

Does that seem like a generally reasonable approach if there's no intel to be had on appropriate interview attire? FYI we're in the midwest so not sure he's going to run into as many "flip flop" sort of companies around here. (which is good because the poor kid has my ugly feet).
Agreed. Most of the flip-flop places are probably in Silicon Valley or ex-urban Boston. Midwest is probably on the conservative side IMHO.

+1 to what rodi said a few posts up. Well said.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #44

our office was casual, but for interviews, nearly everyone that was hired wore the traditional male/female fancy interview clothing.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
An interview is different attire than what people wear in the workplace. You want to show you care enough to dress up. At minimum slacks/sport coat, button down shirt (tie optional.) A suit is a good move.

I was one of several "technical" interviewers (vs manager or HR) for interns and experienced job candidates. I did *not* dress up at work... I tended to wear capris and flip flops.... But I still noted how the interviewee was dressed. If they came in wearing a tshirt and shorts I'd think they were trying to tank the interview...

I would never mark someone down for wearing a suit... even though I was in t-shirt and capris... It shows the candidate is interested in making a good first impression. (I already had the job and didn't need to make that impression anymore.)
Ding ding.....

I wore a t-shirt one day that was the "XYZ shirt" (XYZ wasn't what it said; proper etiquette would not suggest XYZ was appropriate language, or within forum rules to post). It had XYZ all over it. My manager, knowing how I was dressed, called me into a meeting with the ultra--conservative COO and a potential client!

The client was OK, apparently liked the message. My bonus and stock options were approved that year(I never wore that shirt again).

BUT that's not an interview.

Rodi's post is pure gold.��
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
our office was casual, but for interviews, nearly everyone that was hired wore the traditional male/female fancy interview clothing.
I know this is very different than the OPs situation, but: I was once called for a third interview for a blue collar union job(paper mill). There were single digit people left out of hundreds. I came dressed in a dress shirt, slacks, dress shoes. One of the other people wore jean shorts(it was 80+) and a non-dress shirt untucked. He got the job. Clothing is not usually high on the list of things that matter in deciding who gets a job.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I know this is very different than the OPs situation, but: I was once called for a third interview for a blue collar union job(paper mill). There were single digit people left out of hundreds. I came dressed in a dress shirt, slacks, dress shoes. One of the other people wore jean shorts(it was 80+) and a non-dress shirt untucked. He got the job. Clothing is not usually high on the list of things that matter in deciding who gets a job.
My next interview after this I wore jeans and a basic button down shirt tucked in. I got the job working in a warehouse at a union paper converter.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Could it have been that the interviewers, looking at your attire, thought that you'd be constantly searching for something better, while the other guy'd be around for the long term?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Could it have been that the interviewers, looking at your attire, thought that you'd be constantly searching for something better, while the other guy'd be around for the long term?
That's what I would think. I worked in mills, perceived overdressing could be seen that way. Who would have thought?
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:25 PM   #50
Gone but not forgotten

Should I ever return to the workplace, my interview would find me in proper dress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attire.jpg (163.0 KB, 6 views)
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:28 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
That's what I was thinking as well. Although that was a union paper mill. Anyone doing manual labor in my area knows it doesn't get better than that(paper mill) from a financial standpoint. I guess they could have thought I would be looking to move to an office job or something like that.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #52

Agree dress smart, regardless of the position. At very least nice shirt, slacks, tie.

In addition, be 5 mins early. Don't bring a coffee or any drink. And let him know to not have his phone in his hand, not to even put it down in front of him. If someone even so much as glanced at their phone when I was interviewing them they would be done.

(caption = dress for the job you want)
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:19 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
That's what I would think. I worked in mills, perceived overdressing could be seen that way. Who would have thought?
Good point. I was previously describing my last place of IT work. In my own career of now obsolete professions, dressing for the position clearly was the way to go. one time at a mine in Wyoming where I was employed (in 1980), we had a 'secretary' position open. The most qualified person, who had just moved back home from Denver, showed up dressed like an urban job applicant. But she didn't get the job, because she was overdressed for the area (as per the hiring manager). Another time, I got a job wearing just a short sleeve collared shirt and slacks for a summer engineering job, rather than the ties and coats I usually wore and never got those summer jobs. So dressing for the position does count.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
If someone even so much as glanced at their phone when I was interviewing them they would be done.
+1000

When working I was irked by the idiots that would answer a call while I was in their office and talk for 5-10 minutes. Yes there are cases when an important call was expected and needed to be taken, but those were <1% of the time.

The person you are talking to face to face deserves 100% of your attention. And this goes for both the interviewee and the interviewer.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #55

While my vote is for one step below a full on suit, I fully concur with all, that any error in over dressing is way better than under dressing. Further, OP said the company is in the mid-west. That's a pretty conservative dressing part of the country.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
And let him know to not have his phone in his hand, not to even put it down in front of him. If someone even so much as glanced at their phone when I was interviewing them they would be done.
+1000 here also. In fact, I'd leave it in the car. Unless I had a dying family member, anything else can wait for the short time an interview takes.

I had an interview once and the interviewer took a call. Not only did I know right then that I didn't get the job, it was all I could do to maintain my professional composure and not walk right out.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
+1000

When working I was irked by the idiots that would answer a call while I was in their office and talk for 5-10 minutes.
I had never seen a blue tooth before. Im sitting waiting for our assignments/roll call, and a new guy started talking to himself. I figured he was a psyco. I told one of the guys, Lets jump and disarm him till we figure out whats wrong with him. He had to explain to me the whole blue tooth thing. I brushed it off with telling my friend "well we arent supposed to carry personal phones when were working anyway".
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I had never seen a blue tooth before. Im sitting waiting for our assignments/roll call, and a new guy started talking to himself. I figured he was a psyco. I told one of the guys, Lets jump and disarm him till we figure out whats wrong with him. He had to explain to me the whole blue tooth thing. I brushed it off with telling my friend "well we arent supposed to carry personal phones when were working anyway".
Off topic here, but I always contended that blue tooth headsets were the best thing that ever happened to people that talk to themselves on the street corners. It is impossible to tell a crazy person from a person talking on a blue tooth headset, so the crazy people get the benefit of any doubt.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:46 PM   #59

The blue tooth ear pieces that glow remind me of the borg.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
off topic here, but i always contended that blue tooth headsets were the best thing that ever happened to people that talk to themselves on the street corners. It is impossible to tell a crazy person from a person talking on a blue tooth headset, so the crazy people get the benefit of any doubt.

Just because i'm paranoid doesn't mean they are not out there.