Join Early Retirement Today

Apps... Catching up.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Apps... Catching up.

Bought my $99 , 10 inch tablet online at WalMart on Black Friday and am entering the mobile world for the first time... no phone, just an Android ICS 4.1 wifi tablet. Now entering the wonderful new world of 1 million apps. The tablet came with Google, and Google Play. My preferred browser is Chrome because of all the tie ins... Google Drive, Google Phone (which I haven't used yet) and all of the other Google stuff like shopping, drive and maps etc.

It's taking a while to learn the difference between "press" and "tap", "slide" and "swipe" etc, but that's just a learning process. Still find myself in places where I wonder how I got there.

But a purpose to this post... I am looking for "MUST HAVE" android apps, and welcome suggestions. So far, I have downloaded the following, and looking for apps that work better than the ones I have, and then ideas for additional helpful (general - not specific as in exercise or hobby) apps.
So far:
ER, of course... works fine for me.
Google Voice - Am using voice search a lot.
Avast
Clean Master
MX Player
Romoku
Netflix
Advanced Task Manager
WinAmp...for my non- Itunes music
Astro File Manager
Flipboard
WebMD
10 Newspaper/Opinion Page apps
Evernote
YouTube
Office Suite

and the built ins... calendar, camera, JavaScript, calculator, gallery (pics), books.

So now, am looking for suggestions to fill out with the necessities, upgrades or anything else you feel worthwhile.

It's like entering a new era... a far cry from windows 3.11.... this stuff doesn't come as easy as it did 30 years ago...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like this is one you'll want. Forget Windows 3.11, here's a DOS emulator:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...x.dosbox&hl=en

Old 12-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Pandora (plays music of a style you choose by example, or choose a pre-configured 'station').

iHeart Radio - pick up many stations that 'broadcast' over the 'net.

If your bank has an app, it might allow mobile check deposits. Take a pic with a camera and submit. Saves a trip to the bank or a stamp.

Flow - a fun & challenging game

Some of the advanced Timer apps can be handy. Don't have the 'droid handy to provide a specific name.

Your local TV stations may have a 'news' app, ez to keep up-to-date with local news.

-ERD50
Old 12-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome to the wonderful world of digital time wasting..

Wikipedia app - i spend hours reading this.
Chess Free - if you are so inclined.
Sound Hound - recognizes songs off the radio, etc.. you won't use it much but when you do you'll be amazed.

another browser for times when Chrome buggers up (it is the best browser by far but still). Suggest:
- Opera Mini
- Firefox
Old 12-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #5

Thanks... gonna try them all... this is really fun... I use Pandora on Roku... so will try here too... Also trying Slacker..
Flow... If I can't find an app version of Bloobs... my game addiction...

In between, just found Unified Remote... the free version allows controlling a computer with the tablet... Mouse, Keyboard, Voice search etc... the Pay version adds almost any "controllable" TV, thermostat etc... according to the info... for the computer, you have to download a companion program to interface the tablet.

dunno about the DOS app... Now... Lessee... if I can find my DOS for Dummies... almost like trying to remember morse code

Back at it!

Oops.. one more thing... also using Bluestacks to emulate android on my computer... Sheesh.... is there no end to this?
Old 12-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

We use Gas Buddy a lot!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

There are no MUST HAVE apps. Just a bunch of fun software that can be a bit buggy ... but free.

I like:
NYTimes - 3 free article reads a day but I think you can also get some more reads by just using the Chrome browser

Yahoo Weather

Merriam Webster dictionary - has pronunciation

PC Calculator - can set to reverse Polish
Old 12-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #8

I'm very partial to Currents. It is pretty-much what I've always imagined a tablet's news magazine would be like. I use Amazon's app quite a bit to comparison shop while in stores. And Google Maps is excellent for getting a preview of the traffic I'll encounter on the highway.

I use OneNote very heavily, but that's a reflection of my legacy use of the tool from my desktop. I've looked at Google Keep but it is nothing like OneNote. As much as I'd like to free myself from such reliance on Microsoft, I have to admit that they've created the absolute best application for keeping my "stuff" organized. I use it to manage small group ministry at church, keep the details of managing the church website straight, keep track of all the elements of upcoming vacations, etc.

Hand-in-glove with OneNote is SkyDrive, another Microsoft app that works fine on Android, and essential to store the OneNote notebooks (along with other files) so I can access them from anywhere. Here, though, there is an alternative: Google Drive, of course.

I also use Skype a bit, to keep in touch with my team while I'm out of the office.

Rounding out the Microsoft apps I use a lot: Outlook. I use Outlook.com for my email instead of GMail, so it makes sense to use the Outlook app. Again, say what we will about Microsoft, their Android apps are as good or better than Google's afaic.

I use the Kindle Reader a bit - on the tablet mostly for technical journals that don't do well on an e-ink reader.

I rely on LastPass for unique randomized passwords on every website I use, so having it on my tablet is a must.

Given how much we buy online, it's nice to have the UPS app. I have a UPS My Choice account, so anything sent to my address is automatically registered to my account, and I can track its progress using the app, and even make some minor changes to the delivery (such as if we're on vacation when something is shipped).

One of my most used apps is IP Cam Viewer (by Robert Chou), but of course that's mostly a reflection of our home security system being IP Cam-based. It's really neat to be able to look in on our cats from work, though.

Another really specialized app I use a lot is DVR Commander. If you don't have a late-model TiVo DVR, though, it's useless.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Two games: Scrabble and Trainyard (try Trainyard Express, which is free).
Have fun!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Other browsers might work too but I found that Dolphin works with Amazon streaming movies
Old 12-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

https://class.coursera.org/androidap...?page=HomePage

Oh and once you're familiar with the new paradigm, join me and 125,000 other students in writing the next killer app
Old 12-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Two games: Scrabble and Trainyard (try Trainyard Express, which is free).
Have fun!
I really should have mentioned this. I love Scrabble on the iPhone. Normally I get in there and make a play or two several times a day (generally 4-5 games going at once). It's nice to just be able to get a random person "out there" as an opponent. Sometimes one of us will enjoy a game enough to put the opponent on a friends list and play repeated games with the same person. It's quite addictive if you're a word person!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the Fooducate app: Fooducate | eat a bit better - you can scan a food product barcode, it gives you a health rating of that food, some nutritional analysis, and suggests healthier alternatives.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #14

I love my tablet (Acer - was inexpensive but not as good as your 10" $99 deal !)

Kindle app for Android. I read ALOT of free books from new upcoming authors. I've purchased a couple of $1.99 books by the authors I enjoy most

Catch. Its a note-taking app and a great place for me to store quotes that I come across, to do lists, grocery lists, etc

TED. I love watching these talks. Some of the stories are amazing. There's always something new and exciting going on.

Enjoy your tablet !!
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Food on the table - search recepies, creates grocery list based on recepies. Of course theres a manual entry. It also (for major stores), has their sales items listed.
Their recepies are a little limited, you can also add your own.

I do print off a paper list, only thing I miss is when DW did it manually she would add items in store order. This app just groups them in sections.
MRG
Old 12-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #16

Live And Learn said:
Quote:
TED. I love watching these talks. Some of the stories are amazing. There's always something new and exciting going on.
Wow... yeah... +1

I watch TED "stuff" on Roku... Am addicted... It has become a matter of conscience for me... Just in case they ask me to run the world, I wanna be ready...
Tons and tons and tons of info on everthing the mind can imagine.

I mentioned Bluestacks... it's an android program that allows you to download run apps on a PC... Works seamlessly, exactly like the android program on a phone or tablet and including the "back" and "homepage" links at the bottom of the android screen... Can get Google Play and any other available app, and then run the app on the computer... Instead of using a swipe or a tap, use the mouse... An easy way to look for android stuff, and to use android programs when you want a larger screen.
really worth a look!
Old 12-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #17

Obviously the ER.org app is important.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
Catch. Its a note-taking app and a great place for me to store quotes that I come across, to do lists, grocery lists, etc...
I was a fan of Catch too, but the developer decided to shutdown a few months ago and retire the app. I switched to Evernote and am pretty happy with that. You can also get the Evernote add-on for your web browser on your laptop or desktop PC, and easily save whole web pages or selected text from web pages - they'll then show up in you Android Evernote app.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I have to agree with TED. One of the best apps out there. I have Vanguard, and my credit union apps. BBC news for a world look and Financial Daily for business news
Old 12-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #20

I like to use Mint, some medical apps, and travel apps.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote