Join Early Retirement Today

Arbitron
Old 05-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Arbitron

I thought I saw a thread on this once, but did a quick search & didn't find anything. If it's a repeat, sorry about that. Is or has anybody else done the Arbitron ratings thing? Seems like I read the pay was pretty low for the hassle. I was contacted by them through the mail a little over a month ago, with a letter asking me to do a survey, and $2 cash in the envelope. I looked at the survey, which was very short, plus, the promise of $10 upon completion. I'd heard of Arbitron, so figured what the hell, did the survey & sent it back. I didn't hear anything for a few weeks, then I got another letter from Arbitron asking if I'd do one of their Diary surveys, where I write down the stations I listen to for a week. They said they'd pay me $10. Also, for every member of my family that was 21 or older, same deal. There was also $3 cash in the envelope. 2 days later I got an envelope with $5 cash thanking me for doing the first survey. I called the 1-800 number listed, talked with somebody and agreed. A few days ago, I got the first promised $10 cash in the mail. (Don't know why they sent $5 first & then $10). Today, I received the 3 survey diaries, each one had $3 cash tucked into it, with a promise of $10 each after a week of diary-keeping. Looks like a very few minutes a day for the $$. So far, they've paid me $20 cash, plus the $6 ($3 apiece) for my wife & son to do their survey, and will be paying us another $30 total after we mail in our diaries next Thurdsay. I'm thinking this is a pretty good gig! Of course, I realize it could end as quickly as it began. Anybody else getting paid by Arbitron? As long as it's not a hassle, & it's tax free, and I don't start getting tons of spam from it, I'm happy to do the surveys & collect the cash. I REALLY like that it's actual cash, crisp new $1 bills (except the $10 bill). No checks, vouchers, discount coupons etc. Real money. No paper trail!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
No paper trail!

Well, I guess posting here is not a 'paper' trail...

Old 05-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud

Well, I guess posting here is not a 'paper' trail...
Or, you know, the actual papers being sent through the US postal service.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #4

I remember receiving a diary from Arbitron some years back with $2 in crisp new bills. I didn't fill the diary out (probably because I was working in the radio industry at the time) and cannot remember whether or not I kept the $2.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #5

I meant no paper trail as in no checks cashed. It's such a small amount, I'm not really concerned.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I did this when I was back in college. It was pretty easy to do since we didn't have a radio in the dorm room, I didn't have a car, and things like Walkman had not been invented yet. Got the money, but sent in a diary that was basically blank.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I just went to their site and requested to be added to their survey list.

Beats the hell out of the NYS Lottery...
Old 05-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #8

I have never heard of this Arbitron, but I will tell you about the best survey gig that has ever come my way (and I can only hope that I might get so lucky again).
About 11 years ago, I got a phone call at home from a market research company that I had never heard of. The young woman explained that my name had been selected somehow. I am guessing that it was because my husband had just bought me a new Infiniti (after a fight, er, heated disagreement, but this is ancient history) and said Infiniti was titled in my name alone. Anyway, she invited me to come to a local hotel on a certain date and answer a few questions pertaining to the automotive trade. She told me I would be paid $200.00 in cash and dinner would be served and it would all take less than 2 hours. I got a letter in the mail confirming all this, and it was explained that this offer was not transferable and I would have to show photo ID.
I showed up and it was very nice! There were about 12 of us select (ahem) individuals and the sponsor turned out to be GM wanting our opinions on a new Cadillac. It was fun, it was easy, and something like this will never come my way again. I could not hit the survey jackpot twice!