Join Early Retirement Today

Archiving old family photos and film
Old 12-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Archiving old family photos and film

Here's an interesting video from the BBC. I don't have any old films, but there are a lot of photographic memories that I would like to preserve.

BBC News - Keeping analogue memories in a digital age

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #2

I bought one of the scanners shown for exactly the same reason after spending considerable time reading about restoring old photos and slides.

It's a Canon Canoscan 9000F ~$175 wherever good photographic equipment is sold. I hate to sound like an advertisement for Canon but the thing is amazing.

This is from a 35mm slide, color-corrected for fading and reduced resolution for posting here. But otherwise it'd still be good for an 8x10 print. That's me in the photo about 1965. My hair was brown then, and there was a lot more of it.

A good book for photos and slides is Amazon.com: Digital Restoration from Start to Finish, Second Edition: How to repair old and damaged photographs (9780240812083): Ctein: Books

He doesn't cover video, that's a whole different ball game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mowing lawn.jpg (136.1 KB, 17 views)

Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

It's a Canon Canoscan 9000F ~$175 wherever good photographic equipment is sold. I hate to sound like an advertisement for Canon but the thing is amazing.
I have been using the Canon CanoScan 8800F to archive my 35mm film, 35mm slides and even 120mm film. The results are fantastic.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I have been using the Canon CanoScan 8800F to archive my 35mm film, 35mm slides and even 120mm film. The results are fantastic.
I think that's the model immediately prior to the 9000F, probably not significantly different. I read good reviews of both.

Here's one of of my mother well before I was even thought of, the original untouched scan and then with some adjustments made in both the scanner software and Photoshop Elements:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mother-original-scan.jpg (100.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Mother-retouched.jpg (111.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

You mowed the lawn in bare feet?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You mowed the lawn in bare feet?
I don't remember ever doing so but it sure looks that way in the photo. We had just assembled it and started it up for the first time.

It may have been done simply because the mower was brand new and having a gas-powered mower was a big deal at the time. It replaced a hand powered reel mower. What luxury! So I may have done that simply for the photo op.

Besides, 15-year-olds are immune from injury.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've digitized family photos spanning four generations but have found few relatives are interested in seeing them. I've located only a few pictures of my great-grandparents, and wish I could complete the set. Since but one cousin shares my level of interest in such photos I've decreased the amount of time spent digitizing.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I've digitized family photos spanning four generations but have found few relatives are interested in seeing them. I've located only a few pictures of my great-grandparents, and wish I could complete the set. Since but one cousin shares my level of interest in such photos I've decreased the amount of time spent digitizing.
Same here. My first project after retirement was to scan about 1,000 slides, 800 from DWs family trips and events. Made a DVD of all of them and set some into a slideshow. Sent copies to all siblings, cousin 1st & 2nd and other family & friends. Never got a comment from one of them. Only know MIL saw them as I showed them to her.
Never got into scanning paper photos, much more work. My Mom dies this summer and the kids went through her very large family photo albums. A lot of folks no one in the room knew. So I have come to believe that a few good photos and videos are a good idea and more is not better.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
My experience with this is that other family members are interested in seeing the photos, but I don't think that the effort spent digitizing a large archive of family photos is justified, as most people would look at them very occasionally, and not again for a long time.

My brother has a large metal trunk full of family photos dating back to the very early part of the 20th century. One of my grandfathers on one side worked for the British Civil Service in India in the 1920's and the photos from that era are fascinating. However, there are so very many photos in that trunk that a thorough digitization and documenting project could take years. It's a great thought, and we all loved the idea of having those photos available online for all family members to look, but when push came to shove, none of us actually wanted to do it once we realized how much work it would entail.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #10

While I like the work of scanning photos and negatives, I didn't have the expertise or equipment to do film restoration so I shipped it all out to a lab. When all the work was completed I had a movie party at my house. There were three generations of family in my living room watching movies of their parents, grandparents, great-grandparents and great, great-grandparents. Everybody got goodie bags (containing copies of the films and photos) just like Hollywood celebrities.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Here's an interesting video from the BBC. I don't have any old films, but there are a lot of photographic memories that I would like to preserve.
BBC News - Keeping analogue memories in a digital age
Here is one memory from 1964:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43940098.jpg (298.9 KB, 4 views)