Arctic parka or coat minimalist?

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This Morning’s pooch walk and it’s 15 degrees and blowing. I wore my super warm arctic parka with fur brimmed hood. Bought it last year, it was marked down and a steal. I figure fashion be dammed; if I must be in Pennsylvania in December I am going to be warm. The wife and I just got back from shopping very few people about..

So what’s you deal nanook of the North or jimmy buffet?

Loose and layers.

Grew up in North Dakota - often the parka was the outer layer of several layers. As a kid, I had a paper route 7 days/week. 30 below and 30 MPH winds (a common winter condition); papers still delivered before school.

Now in North Carolina - still loose and layered, but no parka required for me. DW? Outer layer is parka on occasion.

The high on Saturday is going to be -18 to -15, the low Friday night around -33 in Fargo, ND. Colder over in Minnesota. Probably will be some -40s. Hopefully we avoid the -50s in the region. 1996 was a harsh winter. Many lows in the -50s with Tower, MN bottoming out at -60F.

Hard to wear any single coat that is warm enough for that weather. I can get by with a Costco SoftShell ($15) for most winter days down to 0F. With a hat and gloves and just being outside for short periods. I have a warmer parka style with hood for below zero.

5 degrees in CNY now.
Jeans and a Lands End winter coat over a flannel shirt. Waterproof shoes are a must.

It rains a lot in New Orleans (64" average annual rainfall). Any outerwear has to be OK in heavy rain.

My winter coat is a hooded Columbia jacket that I got on sale 15-20 years ago at Cabela's. It is waterproof, but also it is pretty well insulated against the cold. I can't wear it when the temperatures are above 50F because it is too hot. In our coldest weather (20's and 30's), it is warm enough especially if I wear layers under it.

It keeps me nice and toasty warm, and dry in heavy rains. It has velcro at the cuffs which I like too.

The model apparently isn't made any more for adults, but it looks very similar to this one that Columbia still makes for boys:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Layers, with waterproof as the final layer.

I get cold in October and don’t warm up until May. I usually need one more layer than everyone else. I have lots of options for base/mid/outer layers and a few times a year I break out my nanook of the North parka.

I also have a good supply of hats and gloves.

What a memory. My DF had one of those. I used to drive by Woolrich every week. Awesome products, they used to have an outlet store there too. Haven't been there for 39 years.

My vote is layers. I just got back from the grocery store and it was sunny 30°F out, comfortable in a t-shirt and hoodie. Take away the sun and add another layer, add wind add maybe one more.

I'm in MN, and we know how to deal with cold. Very cold here now and will get colder this weekend. Long undie top, shirt or sweater, Columbia polartech anorak, jeans, warm knee-highs, and warm second pair of socks for around the house on cold days. For outdoors, I have an entire coat wardrobe: puffy Land's End long coat with furry hood for the coldest weather, along with Canadian made lined boots. I'm never really cold and tend to be throwing off layers during the day.

I get cold in October and don’t warm up until May.

I did my undergraduate studies near Canada and definitely saw some 20 below days. Goose down parka was the predominant attire and I didn’t get cold. At 63, I really hate the cold with a passion...

I’m thinking portable hot tub...

None of the above? Just went outside to do some quick work on the minivan and did so in sandals (with socks of course, because I can), shorts and short sleeves. It was 22 and felt cold but no extremities were harmed in the process.

On the 1 mile round trip cold morning walks to school to drop the kid(s) off, I usually wear a mid-weight jacket. If it's below 20 or so (which only happens a dozen times per year probably), I'll put on the heavy winter coat that my mom bought me as a kid. Usually by the time I'm back home I'm unzipping whatever coat I'm wearing to cool off.

Last edited:
None of the above? Just went outside to do some quick work on the minivan and did so in sandals (with socks of course, because I can), shorts and short sleeves. It was 22 and felt cold but no extremities were harmed in the process.

I don’t like to label but MINIMALIST!

I'll put on the heavy winter coat that my mom bought me as a kid. Usually by the time I'm back home I'm unzipping whatever coat I'm wearing to cool off.

And it still fits? Sweet Moses!

Last edited:
Just want to say thanks for reminding me why I put up with California politics; the weather. I've skiied 3 days in the past 7 and sat on the outside deck in a t-shirt as I ate lunch looking over Lake Tahoe. I wore a light jacket with a fleece vest under it as I skiied though. I drive home with the sun roof open.

Here is a link for the live-cams for where I've been hanging out; (I live less than an hour's drive away)
https://www.sierraattahoe.com/live-cams/

My fav is a down filled jacket and jeans w long johns or flannel lined jeans.

I'm with some of the posters from the north. I was born and raised in the Dakota/Montana country and layers cloths is the way to dress up here. Weather temps can change fast so layer and loose not tight fitting cloths is the best.

The Day After Tomorrow kind of temperature swings we've had the last few years have prompted me to buy an artic parka for California (Northern).

Lots of layers and a parka, including polartech thermal underwear from Cabelas. Very often Grabbers footwarmers or toewarmers. I buy 'em by the case wherever they're on sale.

I'll freely admit to being a wuss when it comes to cold weather but I thrive in the summer when others are wilting from the heat. I don't come out of long sleeves until the temperature hits 80° or above.

I tried the most natural method, just a hugely thick insulating layer of fat. But then LBYM happens and that extra $400/month in groceries isn't as appealing as a $100 Columbia lined hoodie (so far comfy into the single digits), and heavy weight cotton jeans (same).

Though if you have a tiny ball of radiating heat that purrs or barks, stuffing one in a kangaroo hoodie might do the trick.

Even though it's been a bit chillier than normal so far this winter, a basic hoodie has been sufficient. Today in Western Mexico it will approach 80F...

I’m doing smart wool socks(sometimes over another pair), thermal underwear, flannel shirt and sweatpants - and that is indoors. When I go out, i swap the sweatpants for jeans and add a carharrt coat, stocking cap, boots and gloves to the mix.

It got up to near 20 degrees today so we went to the beach (Presque Isle State Park) to observe the ice forming on Lake Erie and check out the ice dunes. Beautiful. Surprised as there was probably only 6 inches of snow but just a few miles away we had over 50 inches in last few days. The vagaries of lake effect snow storms.

Picked up an LL Bean great coat (for wearing over a suit jacket) at a garage sale a few years ago and it is my heavy weight winter item. Way overdressed as thought it may be windy , it was mild so walked around with it unzipped. Layering is the way to go.

In Montana you take our long johns off July 1st and put them back on July 5th. We have 9 month's of ice and snow and 3 month's of tough sledding. LOL

Back
Top Bottom