Join Early Retirement Today

Are any of you guys organization-obsessed?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Are any of you guys organization-obsessed?

Hey,

I just had a feeling there are people here who like to micromanage their time with various tools. I am talking digital things like PDAs, and analog-based like Franklin Covey, DayTimers, etc.

I just recently got work to pay for a PlannerPad (www.plannerpads.com) and so far I am really digging it. I got the tip from a Getting-Things-Done blog that I read.

Just wondering if you guys have any particular systems you use, like, hate, etc.
Olav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olav23 View Post
I just had a feeling there are people here who like to micromanage their time with various tools. I am talking digital things like PDAs, and analog-based like Franklin Covey, DayTimers, etc.
When I reported aboard my first submarine, with my shiny new ensign bars, the XO welcomed me with a box of DayTimers (the engineer's vinyl-cover style, impervious to hydraulic oil & bilgewater) and said "Here, Nords, now you'll never have an excuse to forget anything I tell you to take care of."

I was hugely impressed that he committed to handing out $20 organizers to young officers, and it made me a very conscientious young nuke about writing things down. (Sometimes I even accomplished the tasks that I was transcribing.) I used DayTimers exclusively for nearly 20 years, faithfully copying over the unfinished crap in-process assignments from one month's booklet to the next probably 200 times. When I caught up with that stellar leader a few years ago and mentioned his DayTimer impact, he said "Oh, yeah, the guy I relieved left a whole case of those in the office and I was trying to get rid of them as fast as I could!"

The DayTimer system was too expensive cumbersome in retirement because I couldn't while away the wasted time in meetings copying items from one month to the next find the interest time to maintain it. But the family needs a coordinated calendar & shopping list, so we buy "At-A-Glance" brand two-year planners at Wal-Mart and replace them every year or so when I lose them they wear out.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ah we lead a sheltered and simple life. Every year we get two desk blotters that show a month at a glance (Office Depot's house brand w/ advertising is the cheapest i've found). The 3"x3" day squares are big enough for scheduling reminders (see simple life above). As each month goes by we tear off that page and move it to the bottom of the pile. My more obsessive half tosses the cardboard back and saves the used up calendars as a history of what we did for the year.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My work pays for a Franklin-Covey planner and whatever yearly refills we want. When I first started working there I used the calendar refills and wrote in it a lot. Now, I don't have time!! I scribble on my whiteboard a lot, instead. Appointments are on Outlook Calendar.

They gave me one of the big leather Franklin-Covey planners with a zipper that will hold 8-1/2" x 11" stuff. I don't use the daily calendar part any more, and my planner is usually competely stuffed with whatever I need for the next trip or meeting.

As for PDA's, I never used mine for much of anything but games.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Piece of paper in my pocket. Stuff I need to buy and do. When I run out of room I transfer stuff I still havent bought or done to a new piece of paper.

I used to get some chuckles when someone would ask if everyone was free for lunch and everyone would whip out their pda's and I'd take a piece of paper out of my pocket, glance at it and say "yep".
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

organization-obsessed?

dezinagro morf etisoppo erom eb ton dluoc i, yrartnoc eht no.

m'i a msse.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have to organize the family. Big calendar on the fridge - write in when I am driving and which kids are in that particular car pool, and other family events. We also make lists on scraps of paper for the grocery store. That is as organized as it gets.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
The closest that I currently get to being organized is to make an entry on the calender on the computer that pops up and gives me a reminder a day or so prior to something important happening. Of course if I do not log on that day, the system is useless.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Here are the three things that I do that help me:

1. I have a date book like this beside the phone, one day per page. I write any notes, phone numbers, etc, on this, on the current day. That way, if I need to find something I wrote down, I only need to remember approximately what date I wrote it down.

2. For phone messages, I use the type of "while you were out" pad that makes a carbon copy of everything you write down.

3. I use the Palm Desktop software (although I don't sync to my palm anymore), along with a product called DeskAlarm. When it comes up to tell me I have an appointment or something to do (e.g. send in estimated tax, someone's birthday, pay credit card, fun backup etc.), I have a strict rule that I can't click OK until I've done it. I can snooze it for minutes, hours or days.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
dezinagro morf etisoppo erom eb ton dluoc i, yrartnoc eht no.

m'i a msse.
OK, this is disturbing. I took one look at this and was able to read it...but shouldn't the second line read: ssem a m'i?
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I didn't get it until after I tried to run it through an Italian-to-English translator.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:54 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

For me it's a blackberry sync'd to outlook at work. When I stop this commuting nonsense and give back the blackberry, I guess I won't be organized anymore, at least for awhile.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
OK, this is disturbing. I took one look at this and was able to read it
don't worry achiever. it isn't you. i've become predictable.

Quote:
...but shouldn't the second line read: ssem a m'i?
nya nya. fooled ya.

Quote:
I didn't get it until after I tried to run it through an Italian-to-English translator.
no offense to the op but so much for technology.

even when i worked, my company couldn't get me to log my schedule for the week. but i figured it was either that or use that time to actually get the work done.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:49 PM   #14

I ran my own biz., so a collective daily log of time spent on client projects was invaluable. I liked anything that gave a "week at a glance". Before commercial timesheet packages existed we commissioned a freelance programmer to do up a project-logging calendar that would track hours on a weekly basis. We then progressed to "Now Up-to-Date" (a network-based Mac product that had a sister contact-sharing program) and it worked great for many years.

Now that I am retired I (almost) miss it, since it was eye-opening and informative to see where the time actually went.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:12 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I use index cards to track my workflow. I guess its a poormans day planner, but it works and I dont have to lug around the big book everywhere.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:55 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I use a palm and sync with my mac. But my best organization tool is my 3x5 60 sheet spiral notebook that I keep notes,etc. Also use backpack, a web based list maker.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:19 AM   #17
Administrator

I use the Outlook calendar feature, but my main organization tool is a spiral notebook. I make a to do list every day, take notes in it as calls come in or I'm at meetings and keep my time entries in it. Each one lasts about a month.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I haved a secretary that kept me organized. This was a wonderful thing.

Me, I am the post-its on the computer screen type person.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I haved a secretary that kept me organized. This was a wonderful thing.

So many possibilities, such a small amount of devilish energy remaining...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Hey! That's one of my tricks! 5 there right now, kind of like flotsam washed up from the detrius of my desktop. Do you use whiteout on your sceen for typing errors as well? Keep having to replace my monitors....
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote