Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2015, 05:23 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

As an aside, I do have my own theory, based on a study of two AAU basketball teams, that a team of first-borns is tougher than a team of younger siblings.

One year I was coaching my youngest on a team that was composed entirely of younger siblings. In fact, 8 out of 10 of them were the babies of the family. The team was talented but didn't have a "refuse to lose" attitude. If we lost, none of them seemed to care...the game was fun, there will be another, let's socialize.

The same season, my oldest daughter was on a team of all first-borns. They were all accustomed to leading/being in charge so sometimes there were clashes, but that team was tough to beat. They just wouldn't accept a loss. When they did lose, the players would rehash the game and analyze what went wrong. They were grumpy after a loss.

Of course after a decade of coaching youth sports I decided the perfect basketball team would be composed of ten athletic orphans. But that's a different conversation.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2015, 05:36 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Second-born here. I learned to read exactly when my year-older sister did--she came home from school every day and taught me what she had learned that day. I think she is smarter.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:56 PM   #23

First born here, and in my case, the answer is yes

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 10-31-2015, 06:04 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Intelligence is based on multiple things, including womb conditions.

I'm a middle child (boomer), and as such have noticed that many first born are often bossy and prone to arrogance. That's just a middle child's view, so don't be offended.

Culturally, the first wave of the baby boomer generation were generally first born children. Most the historical activities of boomers in the 1960's were the doings of all the first born boomers. just sayin.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:12 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

In psychology, there is a fairly well known association between being a first-born child and landing in the "achiever" or "hero" role in the family. This does not happen in all cases, of course, but often enough. Parents invest a lot of emotional energy and attention on their first-born (including neurotic needs), and the first-born has no siblings to help diffuse that energy.

So, the first-born is more likely to end up being the achiever/hero in the family, the "good boy" or "good girl," who puts a lot of effort into achieving along conventional lines, which includes doing well in school. In turn, doing well in school correlates with doing well on IQ tests -- which are largely a measure of the kinds of things taught in school (not equivalent to other forms of intelligence, btw, such as emotional or social intelligence).

So, if there is a correlation between first-borns and higher IQ scores, it's not a genetic gift; it's the result of upbringing and some of the unique gifts, pressures, and neuroses bestowed on first-borns (of whom I am one).
Old 10-31-2015, 09:29 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The plural of anecdote is not data.
That's what I was thinking as I read these responses. Must be a bunch of non-first-borns reporting their cases, as if they were significant!

And I see a post that shows the study shows a 1.5 point difference on average. I don't think that kind of difference is something that would be noticeable by anyone. It would take the test, and many data points to show that.

But what do I know (as a second born)?

-ERD50
Old 11-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The plural of anecdote is not data.
Clever, but how do you distinguish an anecdote from one data point?

People present anecdotes as conclusive here all the time, giving 'you should retire early because "I" know someone who died young' as a reason to retire early is abused here often...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

My older brother was certainly smarter. He graduated with a BS and Masters in Engineering. No way I would have made it through all that. As far as common sense goes.......I think I had the edge there.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #29

My older sister is accomplished and well behaved but nowhere near as "smart" as her younger sibling - me.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
My bro definitely smarter. Too smart for his own good. I had to compensate with other skills.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

well my family certainly doesn't match that theory.. It was 3 boys, then 3 girls. I'm the oldest girl and I know I would score higher than any of my siblings. though I was the oldest girl. The oldest would score the lowest.

However, I can pinpoint exactly why and how I became who I am and why my brother is who is his... It was all due to so many life circumstances and some of it genetics and character traits.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #32

If we are talking about IQ's, I don't think it has anything to do with the order you are born.

Also, IMO, high IQ's are pretty much worthless in the real world if you can't put it to practical use.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Clever, but how do you distinguish an anecdote from one data point?

People present anecdotes as conclusive here all the time, giving 'you should retire early because "I" know someone who died young' as a reason to retire early is abused here often...
Disingenuous. Mostly I read "I" retired early partially because "I" know someone who died young. Anecdote for sure, but not used as conclusive proof someone else should retire early. Just something to think about.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:11 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

St luke--to whom much is given, much is Expected.
First born with a fading iq.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:26 PM   #35

My older brother definitely had more book smarts than I did, but he also had a severe lack of social skills. I have been more successful in life as far as career, finance and family. So IQ only matters if you know how to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
If we are talking about IQ's, I don't think it has anything to do with the order you are born.

Also, IMO, high IQ's are pretty much worthless in the real world if you can't put it to practical use.
+1

Youngest here. Not sure about my two older brothers IQ in comparison to mine, but I for sure retired before they did. Sister retired before I did, but I still retired at a younger age. And I was the only one to gather up a BS and Masters, but given I was already middle aged at the time that might not be much of an indicator to my credit.

But ER is real world stuff.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:28 PM   #37
Administrator

This is a question only a later-born would ask. We firstborns just don't care.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #38

I'm the youngest of five. That explains a lot.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I will throw some fuel on the fire

In my family of 6, there are 2 girls, a boy, 2 more girls and me...

My brother is the smartest and I am second.... SOOOO, the males are smarter than the females no matter which order they are in...

After that, it is 3rd sister, then 4th then 2nd.... and 1st is 'last'....

I guess we just do not follow the norm....
Old 11-02-2015, 12:18 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I dunno. My two younger siblings can cut me to ribbons.

I married the eldest in her family, who is simply exceptional. The smartest thing I ever did was marry her. Or say yes. I am dumb but I ain't stupid.

Our eldest is dead-center in the scale, but she is a problem-solver who will figure a way to get where she wants to go. DS pegs the meter, but is something of a sloth.

I don't buy birth order, me.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote