Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-02-2015, 03:31 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Clever, but how do you distinguish an anecdote from one data point?

People present anecdotes as conclusive here all the time, giving 'you should retire early because "I" know someone who died young' as a reason to retire early is abused here often...
Maybe I misread those, the people giving retirement reasons usually give them in context why it motivated them. Whether that's statistical relevant in some way is not really in play. It is relevant for that particular individual.

To go from anecdotes to data (and draw broad conclusions) you'll need a decent random sample and double-blind trials, with filtering out effects. Anecdotes can give you a clue which hypothesis to test, but not the test itself.

Haven't read the paper, but a rather small 2 point difference means any individual observation gets lost in the noise. IQs can easily differ 30 points between healthy siblings. Makes me wonder though if it's genetics (second and later children have older mothers on average) or nurture.

It was more surprising to me that temperament shows no ranking order bias, another finding cited in articles covering that study.

Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 05:06 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.
In our family I would say my sister (the youngest) takes first place and then me (middle child) and then my brother. But then he is such a jerk it may be hard to tell.

Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:26 AM   #43
I'm the younger of two and have the higher IQ.

What about only children?

IQ is not thought to be a nurture thing anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:32 AM   #44
First born here. Mom says yes. DW says I'm an idiot (and reminds me every day).
Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:41 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
I'm the first born of two first born parents. My DW is also a first born. Our DD (#1) definitely has a higher IQ than DS.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:41 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
First born of my siblings is a sociopath. Always thought he was smarter than anyone else and that rules don't apply to him. I don't know if birth order was a factor.
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:55 AM   #47
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I will throw some fuel on the fire

In my family of 6, there are 2 girls, a boy, 2 more girls and me...My brother is the smartest and I am second.... SOOOO, the males are smarter than the females no matter which order they are in...
After that, it is 3rd sister, then 4th then 2nd.... and 1st is 'last'....

I guess we just do not follow the norm....
Let's throw some more fuel in the fire.

I don't know the history of your family but is it possible that you and your brother were the only ones born in Texas? (or got here asap) That could explain it.
Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:16 PM   #48
My firstborn older sister definitely got better grades in school than I did, but she actually studied while I barely cracked a book. Younger sister was middle-of-the-road. I couldn't say there's much difference in intelligence in any of the three siblings. No geniuses, but no dummies either.

I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote