Are first born smarter?

The plural of anecdote is not data.

That's what I was thinking as I read these responses. Must be a bunch of non-first-borns reporting their cases, as if they were significant! :LOL:

And I see a post that shows the study shows a 1.5 point difference on average. I don't think that kind of difference is something that would be noticeable by anyone. It would take the test, and many data points to show that.

But what do I know (as a second born)? :facepalm:

-ERD50

The plural of anecdote is not data.
Clever, but how do you distinguish an anecdote from one data point?

People present anecdotes as conclusive here all the time, giving 'you should retire early because "I" know someone who died young' as a reason to retire early is abused here often...

Last edited:
My older brother was certainly smarter. He graduated with a BS and Masters in Engineering. No way I would have made it through all that. As far as common sense goes.......I think I had the edge there. ;)

My older sister is accomplished and well behaved but nowhere near as "smart" as her younger sibling - me.

My bro definitely smarter. Too smart for his own good. I had to compensate with other skills.

well my family certainly doesn't match that theory.. It was 3 boys, then 3 girls. I'm the oldest girl and I know I would score higher than any of my siblings. though I was the oldest girl. The oldest would score the lowest.

However, I can pinpoint exactly why and how I became who I am and why my brother is who is his... It was all due to so many life circumstances and some of it genetics and character traits.

If we are talking about IQ's, I don't think it has anything to do with the order you are born.

Also, IMO, high IQ's are pretty much worthless in the real world if you can't put it to practical use.

People present anecdotes as conclusive here all the time, giving 'you should retire early because "I" know someone who died young' as a reason to retire early is abused here often...

Disingenuous. Mostly I read "I" retired early partially because "I" know someone who died young. Anecdote for sure, but not used as conclusive proof someone else should retire early. Just something to think about.

My older brother definitely had more book smarts than I did, but he also had a severe lack of social skills. I have been more successful in life as far as career, finance and family. So IQ only matters if you know how to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

If we are talking about IQ's, I don't think it has anything to do with the order you are born.

Also, IMO, high IQ's are pretty much worthless in the real world if you can't put it to practical use.
+1

Youngest here. Not sure about my two older brothers IQ in comparison to mine, but I for sure retired before they did. Sister retired before I did, but I still retired at a younger age. And I was the only one to gather up a BS and Masters, but given I was already middle aged at the time that might not be much of an indicator to my credit.

But ER is real world stuff. :cool:

This is a question only a later-born would ask. We firstborns just don't care.

I will throw some fuel on the fire :D

In my family of 6, there are 2 girls, a boy, 2 more girls and me...

My brother is the smartest and I am second.... SOOOO, the males are smarter than the females no matter which order they are in...:hide:

After that, it is 3rd sister, then 4th then 2nd.... and 1st is 'last'....

I guess we just do not follow the norm....

I dunno. My two younger siblings can cut me to ribbons.

I married the eldest in her family, who is simply exceptional. The smartest thing I ever did was marry her. Or say yes. I am dumb but I ain't stupid.

Our eldest is dead-center in the scale, but she is a problem-solver who will figure a way to get where she wants to go. DS pegs the meter, but is something of a sloth.

I don't buy birth order, me.

Maybe I misread those, the people giving retirement reasons usually give them in context why it motivated them. Whether that's statistical relevant in some way is not really in play. It is relevant for that particular individual.

To go from anecdotes to data (and draw broad conclusions) you'll need a decent random sample and double-blind trials, with filtering out effects. Anecdotes can give you a clue which hypothesis to test, but not the test itself.

Haven't read the paper, but a rather small 2 point difference means any individual observation gets lost in the noise. IQs can easily differ 30 points between healthy siblings. Makes me wonder though if it's genetics (second and later children have older mothers on average) or nurture.

It was more surprising to me that temperament shows no ranking order bias, another finding cited in articles covering that study.

In our family I would say my sister (the youngest) takes first place and then me (middle child) and then my brother. But then he is such a jerk it may be hard to tell. :whistle:

Cheers!

I'm the younger of two and have the higher IQ.

What about only children?

IQ is not thought to be a nurture thing anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

First born here. Mom says yes. DW says I'm an idiot (and reminds me every day).

I'm the first born of two first born parents. My DW is also a first born. Our DD (#1) definitely has a higher IQ than DS.

First born of my siblings is a sociopath. Always thought he was smarter than anyone else and that rules don't apply to him. I don't know if birth order was a factor.

I will throw some fuel on the fire :D

In my family of 6, there are 2 girls, a boy, 2 more girls and me...My brother is the smartest and I am second.... SOOOO, the males are smarter than the females no matter which order they are in...:hide:
After that, it is 3rd sister, then 4th then 2nd.... and 1st is 'last'....

I guess we just do not follow the norm....
Let's throw some more fuel in the fire.

I don't know the history of your family but is it possible that you and your brother were the only ones born in Texas? (or got here asap) That could explain it.:LOL:

Last edited:
My firstborn older sister definitely got better grades in school than I did, but she actually studied while I barely cracked a book. Younger sister was middle-of-the-road. I couldn't say there's much difference in intelligence in any of the three siblings. No geniuses, but no dummies either.

Back
Top Bottom