Join Early Retirement Today

Are motorized surfboards back?
Old 05-09-2005, 05:00 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Are motorized surfboards back?

Gimme a historical perspective, here, Ronin-- am I amused or appalled?

From our local newspaper:

XBoard Hawaii says it has distribution agreements with dealers across Hawaii after giving free demonstrations of a personal watercraft that is basically a motorized surfboard.

Motorized surfboards have come and gone over four decades, but this one can go 45 mph. More than 30 riders tested the XBoard, made by Aqua Extremes Inc. and distributed by CyberAds Inc.

The distributor chartered a 40-foot Power-Cat, cruised 3,000 feet offshore, and let riders set off from the swim fin on the boat's stern. This was done on three consecutive days last week, off the coast of Lahaina, Maalaea and Kahului.

The previous weekend the device was demonstrated on Chesapeake Bay at a massive annual boat show in Annapolis, Md., and before that demonstrations were given off the coast of South Florida, where the Miami Herald did a feature article on the device.

CyberAds, which describes the XBoard as a surfboard that behaves like a jet ski and is powered by a rotary engine, said XBoard Hawaii got several orders as a result.

Aqua Xtremes has indicated that XBoard will be available to consumers this summer. It plans to recommend a retail price above $7,400 with a carbon fiber hull model going for closer to $8,000.

Aqua Xtremes is based in Nashville, Tenn., but is owned by Torrance, Calif.-based Nova Communications Ltd. Formerly First Colonial Ventures, Nova Communications (OTC: NOVAC) once invested in dot-coms before agreeing to acquire the watercraft manufacturer PowerSki International. In January the longtime head of Nova Communications resigned and was succeeded by Art Robins, the former head of a company that made trailer tops for the transportation industry. The secretary of Nova, also since January, is James Abel, president of a precision custom metal stamping company based in Queensboro, Kentucky.

http://www.cyberadsinc.com/xboard/index.cfm

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Are motorized surfboards back?
Old 05-09-2005, 08:16 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey Nords,
Did you see where somebody named Dan Moore of Sunset Beach surfed a 68-foot wave at Pe'ahia (Jaws), off Maui's north shore last December. I got that out of the local paper while I was there. He was towed into the wave by personal watercraft and then rode it back until he wiped out at the end. 68-feet? Is that a world record? If not, it ought to be. What's the highest wave that you've surfed? Have you tried surfing at Jaws? With a 68-foot wave near me, the water would have turned brown. Don't surf, but I can appreciate this guy's feat.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All I know is that its going to require at least 3, maybe 4GHz to make it work right.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Hey Nords,
Did you see where somebody named Dan Moore of Sunset Beach surfed a 68-foot wave at Pe'ahia (Jaws), off Maui's north shore last December.* I got that out of the local* paper while I was there.* He was towed into the wave* by personal watercraft and then rode it* back until he wiped out at the end.* 68-feet? Is that a world record?* If not, it ought to be.* What's the highest wave that you've surfed?* Have you tried surfing at Jaws?* *With a 68-foot wave near me, the water would have turned brown.* Don't surf, but* I can appreciate this guy's* feat.
I think the record is still Pete Cabrinha in Jan 2004 at Jaws-- 70 feet.* But I haven't been keeping up with the latest news.

The biggest wave I've ever surfed was about 12 feet, which was plenty big enough for me.* I'd like to say I was in control of the evolution but I was mainly running away from it as fast as I could.* I've wiped out in bigger surf (15-20 feet) but I'm not planning on repeating either experience until I grow bigger lungs.

I've never tried tow-in and I doubt I'll ever surf Jaws.* (Heck, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to fight my way through the crowds to surf Pipeline or Waimea.)* I'm not sure tow-in is as much fun when you add in a watercraft, a trailer to tow it to the beach, a partner, and all the other infrastructure & procedures.* There's too much other surfing to be mastered before I'd feel it was necessary to add power tools... but check back with me in 20-30 years!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 05-10-2005, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Gimme a historical perspective, here, Ronin-- am I amused or appalled?...
The previous weekend the device was demonstrated on Chesapeake Bay...
Seems like the perfect place for it.* We are amused at the dingweeds putting around the harbor.* * *An appalling amount of misery on the fool who motors into our lineup.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:13 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was watching at Jaws on January 10th when Pete Cabrinha took the monster left. When you're watching from the bluff the rights look easy (they aren't), the lefts are much steeper and longer.

In other news from Maui we had a rare and minor shark attack on the north shore. No biggie, but a clear reminder that they are out there.
http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=8484

Sailfishing is also taking off here. People use old large windsurfers, add fishing pole mounts, and go trolling for Mahi and Ono beyond the outer reef. I talked to one guy who told me that he goes 5 miles offshore. The summer trade winds are very reliable so getting back isn't a problem. What deters me is sailing on a windsurfer dragging large bloody shark bait.

This story demonstrates some of the dangers of having Jet Skis share the waves with surfers.
http://www.local6.com/news/4445325/detail.html
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:23 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

If motorized surfboards are analogous to pocket bikes, I'm hoping the sharks prey on the surfers like Boston traffic cops prey on the bikers. Seriously...these things sound like a whole hive of bees trapped in an empty beer keg, miked up and amplified. They shatter the good peace. Hate 'em.

Ed
gratefuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
This story demonstrates some of the dangers of having Jet Skis share the waves with surfers.
As if surfing Teahupoo isn't dangerous enough!*

Old 05-10-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
http://www.local6.com/news/4445325/detail.html
Talk about "dropping in". I'd hate to think of the beach-party reception awaiting that Jetski driver, but I have to admit that he'd earned every bit of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin
As if surfing Teahupoo isn't dangerous enough!
My first thought glancing at the crowd in the front was "Hunh, Haleiwa Alii?"

Old 05-10-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're presuming the driver made it to shore. Much easier to take care of business in the waves.

Hmm...where'd that shark go...I have a little chum here...

Brrrrr....sharks....
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote