Are Opening Jars an Issue?

I bought that same Black and Decker jar opener about 15 years ago for my father. I needed it myself about 10 years ago when I started buying some brand of sauce that had such a tight lid that they were basically defects. I was pretty strong but I had major trouble with it. The jar opener stalled a couple of times but always eventually opened them. It's extremely powerful. I got a display model for a discount without a manual. I can't say it's completely obvious how to use it but I figured it out. I think you have to tighten it a little bit manually before you press the button...something like that.

From looking at the youtube videos, I think it looks pretty simple (if not a bit overkill) to use. Basically, the contraption simulates strong hands and wrists gripping and turning a jar. Good to know the jar opener is extremely powerful.

From looking at the youtube videos, I think it looks pretty simple (if not a bit overkill) to use. Basically, the contraption simulates strong hands and wrists gripping and turning a jar. Good to know the jar opener is extremely powerful.

I think it worked the intuitive way most of the time but I had to hand tighten it around the lid some of the time. This forum is exceptionally good about attachments. Maybe I'll upload my own video if I get a jar of something. I'd like to demonstrate the hiccups that could happen.

Ironically, I just started buying a lot of canned food to make can opener videos.

Last edited:
I bang the edges of the lid with a table knife handle, put on a pair of rubber gloves, and twist away!

For bottles, I use a wrench to grip the lid.

If all else fails, I find someone with larger, stronger hands.

Has been said but hitting the jar lid with the handle portion of a butter knife at multiple spots works. If metal lid then running the lid under hot water works as the metal expands and the jar less so. I was buying kitchen stuff for the kids at the Salvation Army store and a bunch of stuff came in bags - there was a thing inside that I had never seen in the kitchen before but it turned out to be a jar opener - giant pliers with various size clamping rings. I remember when I was young we have a rubber cone that worked well too. If I am having trouble I usually put an wide elastic around the rim of the lid and give it a go - usually if I am having trouble it is because I can't get a good enough grip. The rubber gloves work too but can never find a pair!

I have the Lids Off machine and use it frequently. I've had it for 20 yrs after my husband bought it for my birthday. I wasn't happy at the time receiving it for my birthday, but I've found it very useful.

Just use a standard bottle opener to gently pry the edge of the lid and release the vacuum. Voila!

^this. I dont think many people know about this. Its the vacuum seal that makes it difficult...not the lid itself. Release that pressure and the lid comes off with ease. Every jar I now use a bottle opener to break the seal. Just slide the point under the lid and pop it out.

For the lid type in the olive picture above, I use the tip of an old fashion bottle opener (the part you would have used to make a hole in a beer can). I wedge it between the jar and the lid and lift up to release the vacuum. Sometimes it takes a couple of places on the lid to get the vacuum to release. For other lids I use a piece of non-slip drawer liner/mat for grip. Using these I can't remember the last lid I couldn't remove.

An old boss told me to turn the jar (or whatever) you are trying to open on it's side and then loosen the lid. That often works. If it doesn't work, I use the spoon under the edge of the lid.

I take a chef's knife and jam a hole into the top of the lid. Of course, then you have to find some container for what's left in the jar, but at least I get sauerkraut on my dog!
Even a dent will do as it releases the vacuum. This is only after easier techniques have failed. And the jar still seals.

Got that used Lids Off jar opener today. That thing is powerful. Unscrewed the lids of a couple of jars in no time. Noise isn't as loud as seems from youtube videos. The one I got is used and I do see some wear on the rubber grips, but think the grips should still last awhile still and over price is lot cheaper than if I bought brand new.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom