Join Early Retirement Today

Are Opening Jars an Issue?
Old 04-20-2018, 01:47 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are Opening Jars an Issue?

Was in the mood for a hot dog with nice condiments yesterday. Ran into a snack trying to open a new jar of sauerkraut. More specifically, tried and tried turning the jar but eventually gave up and decided to fight another day.

So, after enjoying my sauerkraut less hot dog, I went on to Amazon and youtube to see what other folks do about opening a jar. From what I see, jar opening gadgets are big business with all kinds of openers. One that caught my eye was a machine called Lids Off by Black and Decker. But at Amazon, brand new is about $120 (way too much). I ended ordering a used on on ebay for about $20.

I remembered then, I have a jar popper made out of plastic and the use is to pop vacuum seal off jars. Took this out, tried on the sauerkraut jar and before I can say "magic", the seal was broken and lid easily to turn off.

As a conversational piece, may be fun to try that Lids Off machine when I get that. But now I wonder, probably don't even need one as I was opening the jar all wrong with the brute force method of trying to unscrew.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I have not had a jar that I cannot open. But then, it is because I have my wife as a helper. She holds on to the jar while I twist off the cap. Both of us use both hands, of course.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #3

https://www.harborfreight.com/quickv.../index/id/9190
$5 for the pair of them.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

^^^^

Looks like some torture devices. Maybe I am too imaginative.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was taught to slam the difficult jar upside-down onto a counter-top* (picking a spot where the counter-top is well-supported underneath, like where two cabinets come together). The slam must be done so the entire lid hits the counter-top at the same time (not hitting one edge first, which might break the jar and/or crush the edge of the lid) and not so hard as to break the jar..

Then, I simply invert the jar and twist off the lid. Easy-peasy.

(*Note: I've had success with Corian and Formica counter-tops. I've never tried this with granite or other really hard materials.)

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #6

Just get a large width vise grips (there are a number on the web) you can get ones with openings up to 12 inches. An Oil filter removal device might also work. Or go to amazon and look for glass jar lid removers (there are a bunch of things there). Included are rubber jar gripping devices to keep the jar from moving while you use the wrench to open the lid.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I use something to bang along the lid’s edge, and most of the time it works well enough to release the lid.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I use something to bang along the lid’s edge, and most of the time it works well enough to release the lid.

+1
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #9

Just use a standard bottle opener to gently pry the edge of the lid and release the vacuum. Voila!
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
+1
I have hot dogs once a week. The only lids I always have a problem with are the "german sauerkraut" and a "French coarse mustard". It is not just the first time I open them either, but subsequent times as well. Both item's are imported and not popular here, so I suspect that has something to do with it.

But as Audreyh1 say's, I tap the edge in two places with a heavy silverware knife and it will open with a firm twist.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #11

Just run the jar under hot water for a few minutes.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Youtube video of the contraption I ordered used from ebay (should arrive in a few days). Got for about $20. Amazon, new selling for about $120.

I was able to open the sauekraut jar in seconds with a niffy jar popper that looks like the one in the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jar popper.jpg (152.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 04-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #13

1st try - bang on counter top. Next walk out to the garage and use the largest channel locks. Third option big pipe wrench. Never fails.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
+1

Got DW one and that is all she uses.

My sister bought her a fancy one years ago but the batteries always failed. We may have already donated it to Habitat.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
1st try - bang on counter top. Next walk out to the garage and use the largest channel locks. Third option big pipe wrench. Never fails.
You can't be serious. Are you?
Old 04-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was first diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at age 36. I now have some osteo arthritis to go with it. Right after that diagnosis i went out to the local hardware store (in West Islip NY at the time) and bought, for $1.39 at the time, a "top off" jar and bottle screw top opener by the Edlund Co of Burlington VT, have kept this device with me for the ensuing 20+ yrs. Works great every time, with very little effort on my part.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I am using the ability to open jars as an indication of when I start getting old. So when I do have a hard time with one I just focus and persist until I get it open. I've found that trying to screw it on a little tighter before reversing course helps. Someday I won't be able to open one and I might break down and buy some sort of assist mechanism, but so far so good.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #18

A damp (not wet) dishrag also helps to keep traction.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Just run the jar under hot water for a few minutes.
Just run the lid under hot tap water for about half a minute. Try not to wet the glass.

Metal has a larger coefficient of thermal expansion than glass.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
+1
The only lids I always have a problem with are the "german sauerkraut" and a "French coarse mustard". It is not just the first time I open them either, but subsequent times as well.
Yeah, Germans and the French. No surprise. I guess two world wars wasn't enough mischief..........
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote