Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Are People Really Extra Busy During the Holidays?
Old 12-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are People Really Extra Busy During the Holidays?

I've often heard people say they are swamped with activities during the holidays—as if they don't have a spare minute and can't catch their breaths.

I suppose if you're working, throwing a big Christmas party, shopping in brick-and-mortar stores, sending out hundreds of cards, attending a lot of gatherings, I guess it's possible.

For Lena and me, not so much.

Are you extra busy during the holidays?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Since retiring, I'm tuned things down a lot over the holidays. Not a total recluse, but enjoy the peace and quiet.

Christmas cards seem to be a lost art as seems most folks prefer the immediate gratification of social media.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #3

Humbug.jpg
Old 12-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Nope. I have a Christmas gathering at a local watering hole next week. But I would probably be hanging out there with a couple of friends anyway. As far as shopping goes, I did most of it online. Not much work there. I did send out a handful of cards, but mostly to far away relatives and a couple of old friends.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Busier than usual but far from stressed -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Nope. Christmas is not my holiday, being born Jewish but switching to atheism when I was 13, 41 years ago. For many of my working years, I took some extra days off around this time because I could combine that with company holidays to get a lot of consecutive days off.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

LOL. yep but I tend to love it.

so this month, lets see.
last Friday I had a retirement party
Yesterday morning, church toy drive volunteer. afternoon get Christmas tree, yesterday evening Christmas cabaret unit 2 in the morning.,
today church,grocery shopping afterward, sort of relaxing rest of day but need to bake a few goodies.

I work p/t at a bakery and as you can imagine this is their super busy season so I'll probably do a full week

Friday night: Pennsylvania Ballet Nutcracker
Saturday up to NYC to see Alladin on Broadway.
Christmas eve wrap, and church
Christmas. drive to brothers house for dinner in DC
Friday afterward. Stomp on broadway

in between I still have to go to gym, regular life stuff

Now as I said I love the holidays so all of this is strictly my preference.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have no kids and don't buy a single present for anyone during Christmas. I never did throw parties but now I don't even attend parties. I also get time off from work over the holidays so I would say things are a little less busy this time of year.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:56 AM   #9

Not me. I celebrate Advent, a time of quiet and waiting. I really refuse to partake of the craziness that others think is obligatory at this time. Yesterday I did all my Christmas shopping in the space of an hour. People were elbowing others in the store and the traffic and parking was exhausting. I've never understood why people regard all the running around and enforced "cheer" as some badge of honor.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

No, I designed it that way.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #11

When we both were working and the kids were young, it was a very busy time of year. Besides all the Christmas festivities (and corresponding chores and errands), both girls played basketball and I coached until they were in HS. We always had tournaments over Thanksgiving weekend and between Christmas & New Year’s Eve.

Things are much quieter now.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #12

No way.

We did have a flurry of buying a tree, decorating it, and decorating around the house a bit, but not so much busy as enjoyable. Without a job to go to, we bought the tree on a Thursday afternoon and there was no pressure to get it all done on a weekend. We don’t do presents anymore so that takes away the trips to the mall (shudder).
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We’ve been delivering poinsettias to some shut ins from our church, helped out with an Advent Penance service, enjoyed some church fundraising events, delivered a meal for twenty to a shelter, contributed funds to several worthy charities, and the most time consuming thing has been fixing up the Jersey Shore home we bought to prepare it for the summer rental marketing that kicks off in January. Christmas shopping was for my grandson. Helping DW recover from knee replacement surgery has also taken time, but she is recovering quickly.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #14

DW is busier, but I'm not. She puts all the cards along a banister, puts up a 4 foot tree, sends out all the cards, and buys and wraps all the presents for the grandnieces and grandnephews. I have a couple glasses of wine and take photos at the dinner that SIL and BIL put on, and then put together a photo book that I order and give to family. This is the cover shot for the photo book I did last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dinner setup (1 of 1).jpg (153.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 12-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Busier than usual but far from stressed -
+1, I enjoy the holidays, so no stress.
Today is baking day, the house smells wonderful! Then church and gifts for their toy drive. House and tree were decorated last week, shopping done. Only thing left is wrapping gifts, but that is fun for me.
Then time with family and cooking a meal! Enjoying every minute.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not super busy but definitely more busy than usual. Put up tree and decorated house, a few outside lights, several shopping trips. Sent out cards and wrote up one page letters to add to many of the cards. Went to the Nutcracker Ballet and an outside lighting display. Will shop this week for some food items to take for Christmas. Will spend two days on road traveling out of state and 4-5 days with family. I did not buy many presents this year which saved a lot of time from previous years.

I'm an introvert and don't get invited to many parties which is too bad because I like parties. One of my neighbors plans a Christmas get together but I'll be on my trip. However my out of state DB and SIL will be having a large party so will attend that.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #17

More busy but not bad.

We have some family coming to stay with us starting later this week so we're getting the house ready. DW is precooking a number of Christmas dinner items. Today was fudge making day. YUM

Picked up some Nocino today. It's a Italian liqueur made from Walnuts that we tried last Christmas. Decided it was good enough to get more this year.

I've been enjoying the Holiday Classics Radio channel on iTunes this afternoon too - though I did start the day by listening to the A Charlie Brown Christmas album.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #18
gone traveling

Before I retired, yes. Megacorp liked to set arbitrary project deadlines near the end of the year. Add to that more parties/socialization, plus Christmas prep (baking, shopping, decorating) and yeah I was a bit stressed.

Now, not so much. Just doing Christmas preparations (which I enjoy), with plenty of time to do so.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've often heard people say they are swamped with activities during the holidays—as if they don't have a spare minute and can't catch their breaths.

I suppose if you're working, throwing a big Christmas party, shopping in brick-and-mortar stores, sending out hundreds of cards, attending a lot of gatherings, I guess it's possible.

For Lena and me, not so much.

No, but I don't DO Christmas. I stopped doing gift exchanges with everyone twenty years ago, except for my DD, so I don't do any Christmas shopping. I don't put up a tree, send out cards, or decorate the house. I don't cook Christmas dinner. I am an agnostic introvert so I don't spend time at church, and I don't go to Christmas parties. I stocked up on food so that I don't have to go to grocery stores when they are busy, and I am not going to other stores right now, either. I don't listen to TV or radio so I miss all the Christmas content. (I have never seen the Charlie Brown Christmas Special or whatever it is that everyone thinks is so wonderful.)

Switching to a Christmas'y avatar is about it, and that doesn't really wear me out. Also I listened to a few of the songs on the Favorite Christmas Songs thread (or whatever it was called) recently and that was nice. Some of the most beautiful music ever composed and performed, is Christmas music.

We do spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with his extended family. I don't do anything for that, either.

One of the reasons I do so little at Christmastime, is to cut both of us some slack so that we don't get the holiday blues. Another reason is to avoid the commercialization of Christmas. And finally, there is something to be said for relaxing and enjoying the season.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

No not busy at all due to the weather. In fact this is the first time that I've had nothing to do for weeks on end. I even made homemade marshmallows yesterday. That's pitiful. I've decided that next year I'll take a part time job Nov Dec.
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote