Join Early Retirement Today

Are people thirstier than they used to be?
Old 09-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Are people thirstier than they used to be?

I just read that McDonald's now has a 42 ounce soft drink called the Hugo (currently under $1, over 400 calories). When they first opened in 1955, the largest size soda was 7 ounces! Now a small is 16 and a child's size is 8!

Are people thirstier than they used to be? I'm really wondering! Years ago, people didn't walk around with water bottles everywhere they went. You took a few sips from a water fountain and that was about it. Can this increased thirst be blamed on global warming?

Nothing wrong with being hydrated (although I would have some doubts that massive amounts of soft drinks, whether diet or regular are healthy).
And inquiring minds want to know: have bladder capacities expanded over the years with the increased liquid volume? (Might be TMI, but I have to ask it as someone who would spend all the day in the restroom after a 42 ounce drink!)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cost of drink to MacDonalds maybe .04 for the cup, .03 for the drink, .01 for the labor .99 for the drink plus .06 or .07 for the Governor and .91 for Mr. Mac.

I guess we are getting thirster, just look a people walking around the mall or the streets and driving cars. Cell phone in one hand, drink in the other -- sometimes I wonder what they are steering the car with.

And this bottled water is getting really expensive; can almost get a case of beer cheaper than a case of water. Soft drinks for about $4 to $5 a case of 24 some of the water comes as high as $38 for 24 bottles -- don't people know how to multiply any more?

Lots of trips to the bath rooms and/or panic attacks trying to find one.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

42 oz is 3.5 12 oz beverages. hmmm 3 times a day, one for each meal that is 126 oz.

Then a couple during the day and evening. Hey! Don't criticize, what do you expect! America can't go without their mega slurpy.

Were up to 210 oz or 1.6 gallon of soft drink or 17.5 12 oz cans. If that is regular (sugar) and Pepsi (9.46 tsp per can) that equal 165.55 tsp of sugar or 3.45 cups of sugar. 1 cup of sugar weighs 1 pound. 3.45 pounds of sugar. Hmmmmm.

Well 365 days in a year. That is 1258 pounds of sugar in a year. Ok Ok... let's cut it in half. 629 pounds of sugar from pop in a year. WOW! 1.7 pounds of sugar from pop a day.

Sugar in Soft Drinks Results

Diet soda please!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I think someone at McDonalds has a sense of humor in calling it the Hugo ("You go").
Old 09-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Bigger is better?
Old 09-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #6

i was struck by the fact that in asia you don't have 2 liter bottles, you have 1 liter bottles...made me have an instant reaction that the 1 ltr wasn't enough?

my boyz would definitely look at the 1 liter as a personal size drink...

also, w/ the box discount stores like costco etc. people are drinking more pre-packaged type drinks...
Old 09-03-2007, 01:39 AM   #7

In my working, Diet Coke guzzling days I drank 1-2 2 liter bottles a day. Often I
did not use the restroom until I was getting ready to bike home, especially if that was
the first time I stood up since arriving (mini-fridge in the office).

Retired, I drink over a gallon a day (of refrigerated tap water) in the summer, probably
half that in winter. My fridge starts each day with two 1/2 gallon pitchers and two
24oz cups of water, which all disappears before night on hot days.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:45 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
In my working, Diet Coke guzzling days I drank 1-2 2 liter bottles a day. Often I
did not use the restroom until I was getting ready to bike home, especially if that was
the first time I stood up since arriving (mini-fridge in the office).

Retired, I drink over a gallon a day (of refrigerated tap water) in the summer, probably
half that in winter. My fridge starts each day with two 1/2 gallon pitchers and two
24oz cups of water, which all disappears before night on hot days.
Super Bladder??
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:33 AM   #9

I think I drink more liquids than most Italians.. I don't know what's different about them.. if they come over for dinner, I'll offer, right off the bat "something to drink?".. I always offer 1.) water 2.) softdrinks like juice or iced tea, sometimes soda if we have it 3.) low-alcohol aperitifs like campari or martini on ice 4.) wine/beer 5.) cocktails. But they quite often refuse any/all and wait 'til we are at table, even if this means an hour or more of chatting and prep beforehand. I feel odd "drinking alone", even if it's not alcoholic.

That said, I can't deal with gallons of soft drinks either. When I've been at McDs I've always gotten the smallest avail. to wet my whistle. I usually throw about 2/3 away, of the small. When I drink juices or something like Snapple I usually add 1/2 plain water, otherwise they're too sweet and not "refreshing".
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:09 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I often have a drink in my hand...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

My favorite watering holes dole out beverages by the pint!
Old 09-03-2007, 02:52 PM   #12

I plead guilty

I'm a nervous drinker. I've been a fidgiter all of my life. Now that I'm at a desk most of the day I just drink to keep my hands and mouth busy. I try to limit myself but on a bad day I can drink a 12 pack of diet pop easily plus a couple glasses of water.

when we moved offices a couple years ago, my coworkers joked that they were going to put a urinal in my office.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
I plead guilty

I'm a nervous drinker. I've been a fidgiter all of my life. Now that I'm at a desk most of the day I just drink to keep my hands and mouth busy. I try to limit myself but on a bad day I can drink a 12 pack of diet pop easily plus a couple glasses of water.

when we moved offices a couple years ago, my coworkers joked that they were going to put a urinal in my office.

there is something seriously addictive about diet soda...there are a lot of people who can't go w/out it and who overindulge too...

saluki - isn't that a LOT of caffeine

ever think that is what made you fidgety and nervous?!
Old 09-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #14

And you wonder why diabetes is rampant.

The fast food industry has poisoned you with glucose-fructose in soda and transfats in the fries and breaded sandwiches.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I used to drink 8-10 sodas a day at work because they were free. I started cutting down because of the caffeine, and went I started telecommuting I cut down to just one can at lunch, and usually another w/o caffeine at dinner. Went through a bit of withdrawal (minor headaches) and knew it was a good idea. Now I drink a lot of chilled tap water, and tea in the winter. Plus the occasional beer or mixed drink. ;-)
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post

saluki - isn't that a LOT of caffeine

ever think that is what made you fidgety and nervous?!
Strangely no, the caffeine doesn't bother me at all. I'm one of those strange people who become calmer with stimulants, the downside being that caffeine doesn't wake me up any more.

I'm actually getting less caffeine than I used to. I gave up drinking 5-7 cups of coffee in the morning because it was doing a number on my stomach.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:44 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I used to drink 8-10 sodas a day at work because they were free. I started cutting down because of the caffeine, and went I started telecommuting I cut down to just one can at lunch, and usually another w/o caffeine at dinner. Went through a bit of withdrawal (minor headaches) and knew it was a good idea. Now I drink a lot of chilled tap water, and tea in the winter. Plus the occasional beer or mixed drink. ;-)
My college cross country coach used to suggest we all drink some caffeine BEFORE practice, then wanted all of us to take one bayer aspirin after practice. Since we had one of the most successful Div III teams in the country, we followed his advice........

Maybe I got my addiction to Diet soda due to him.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:05 AM   #18

I drink differently based on the season. In Florida it is HOT all summer. Even if I am inside all day, I need to sip water contantly or I get dehydrated. I hate drinking water in the winter, because I get cold so I switch to hot tea, but watch the caffine.

Never drink soda. When I was a kid I only got soda to settle an upset stomach, so soda reminds makes me think I am ill.....
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post

Never drink soda. When I was a kid I only got soda to settle an upset stomach, so soda reminds makes me think I am ill.....
7-up? That's my "ill" drink from my youth.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
7-up? That's my "ill" drink from my youth.
7 up and coke. Never touch either (or all of their permutations and cousins) About 1-2 times per year I get a root beer or cream soda, since they were not contaminated, but I find them too sweet to relieve thirst.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote