Join Early Retirement Today

are re's just career misfits
Old 03-13-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

are re's just career misfits

or did i simply miss my calling? mom taught that i should find something i enjoy doing that would also make some money. so while sunning on the flybridge one day, anchored off lauderdale beach, i announced i would become a prostitute. i was 17 going for shock value or an increase in my allowance, maybe both. without missing a beat, mom told me she recently read happy hooker and xavier didn't think i should.

i must have had four majors in college. even though i've been around people who knew what they wanted to be, i never got the concept, never found a job i really wanted. my career was nothing more than building a resume. i'm retired 8 months now. cleaning out my desk at home, i just tossed my resume in the garbage, and i'm wondering: if i loved my job, would i still be working?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: are re's just career misfits
Old 03-13-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes. They definitely march to the beat of a different bagpiper.

Quote:
...never found a job i really wanted....
At least you got out alive! Enjoy the rest of the trip, kid!

Old 03-14-2006, 05:51 AM   #3

Lazy, don't feel bad, I had no clue what I wanted to do, still don't, I fell into this career and hopefully in a year or two I'll fall out of it into ER. I envy people that have a career they love. Maybe retirement IS my thing LOL

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:59 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't feel bad.* If you ever found a job you loved, the company would be sold, reorganized or generaly screwed with by new management.*
Old 03-14-2006, 06:05 AM   #5

You know, come to think of it you're right. I DID have a job I loved, working on a farm with race horses, the owner sold the farm and that was the end of that job. I decided not to pursue a position at another farm because it paid little to nothing, but isn't that usually the way it is?

Old 03-14-2006, 06:13 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

My guess is there are a lot of people who never find "it" when it comes to their calling in life.

I recall a long ago discussion with a group of high school buddies during senior week. It was a rare moment of serious introspection, strongly influenced by being an 18 year old male in the era of the draft and the Vietnam war. I remember being more than a little envious that everyone but yours truly seemed to know what they wanted to do with their lives. Not that several of them didn't change their minds a time or two in the ensuing 40 years, but at least they had real goals.

After 35 years in the working world, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up. I gave up being frustrated about it long ago and decided to just try to enjoy the scenery along the way as I continued my search.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:17 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, well, I am in a job a really like, but I still am eager to FIRE, although perhaps the pain is somewhat lessened. *I think its just that we don't need the structure of employment, so the psychological rewards of work are not enough to offset the PITA factor.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:27 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I liked a lot of my job(s) and the people I worked with, and enjoyed the challenges and learning. I think if I had never worked, or had quit earlier than I did, I might have felt like i missed something.

but I was a good corporate droid and wasnt really thinking about quitting until my compensation dropped by about 75%.

I didnt like the job THAT much.

Then I discovered I like being a bum.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
My guess is there are a lot of people who never find "it" when it comes to their calling in life.*

I recall a long ago discussion with a group of high school buddies during senior week.* It was a rare moment of serious introspection, strongly influenced by being an 18 year old male in the era of the draft and the Vietnam war.* I remember being more than a little envious that everyone but yours truly seemed to know what they wanted to do with their lives.* Not that several of them didn't change their minds a time or two in the ensuing 40 years, but at least they had real goals.

After 35 years in the working world, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.* I gave up being frustrated about it long ago and decided to just try to enjoy the scenery along the way as I continued my search.

Exactly my problem.* All my life I never knew what I wanted to be when I grow up.* While I was wondering, I grew up.* I read a book years ago, entitled "Are You Happy?"* One of the traits of happiness, the book said, was having a job you would do even if not paid.* Hmmmm, let's see.* Second baseman for the Red Sox might do, but it's filled.* Most corporate jobs do NOT fill this requirement.* Can you imagine a CEO (not to mention any cubicle rat)* agreeing to continue working after being told he/she would receive no compensation?* *I don't mind working at all.* I do mind meaningless, mindless tasks assigned to me by*empty suits.* So now I do know what I want to be when I grow up.* I want to be retired and to outlive the ba$tards.*

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:13 AM   #10

I'm actually thinking, once I retire, of doing some volunteer work at the local SPCA, it's in a farm setting and they have a barn full of horses that need attention. That's a job I would do for nothing, in fact now that I think about it there were several times at that previous job that we were told to "hold your check till Monday".

I guess I'm looking at retiring as the time to be able to do all those things I always wanted to do but didn't pay enough to make a living at.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaverse
Don't feel bad.* If you ever found a job you loved, the company would be sold, reorganized or generally screwed with by new management.*
This is more accurate than sarcastic. If you work in the private sector, you may love your job but your employer exists for one purpose -- to make money. Unless love for your job translates into increased productivity, revenues and ultimately profits, your job is subject to the whims of management.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:26 AM   #12

This is a great thread. Untainted by boobs and squirrels.

Seriously though, I don't want to work in IT anymore! I've had it! What keeps me caged in my situation is my paycheck. I've taken extreme measures to ensure we live well below our means in the last two years, so when I do cross over into something that I'm passionate about, the income hit isn't such a blow. I'm way far from ER, so that's not an option, I just want to LOVE my work, and not be a paycheck whore anymore. :P
Old 03-14-2006, 08:31 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Jay,

Don't look now, but the public sector isn't all that different, especially if you work for the military, where a new commander comes in every 18 months to two years. *They all have better ways to do something that will make what you are doing more efficient. *(Of course, they aren't at all concerned about punching their ticket for the next promotion. *It's purely patriotism on their part.) *Sooner or latter the endless waves of recycled, reorganized, regurgitated nonthink succeed in destroying the will of the organization. *Sometime I'll tell you what I really think. Anyway, I'm done with all that and if that makes me a misfit, I wear it proudly!

setab
Old 03-14-2006, 08:53 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_cat
Hey cube CAT

Attached Images
File Type: jpg squirrelinlove.jpg (34.6 KB, 113 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb squirrelinlove.jpg_thumb (40.7 KB, 0 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Guess you've been too busy changing your avatar to notice the one to the left of this post.

And I just have to ask since your avatar photo is too small to be able to tell, has it been shaved or is it still natual?

Old 03-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Guess you've been too busy changing your avatar to notice the one to the left of this post.

And I just have to ask since your avatar photo is too small to be able to tell, has it been shaved or is it still natual?

shaved
Old 03-14-2006, 09:07 AM   #17

Quote:
shaved
And people want to know why I spend so much time on this forum... :

Old 03-14-2006, 09:09 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

So her camel has cold feet in the morning...?
Old 03-14-2006, 09:13 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I keep coming back for all the pithy comments and pictures. Did I tell you I have a lisp?

setab
Old 03-14-2006, 09:16 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Sthhhtop!

Anyone else see the sharon stone interview from the middle east where she talked about coming on faith...?