Join Early Retirement Today

Are the best things in life free?
Old 11-08-2018, 07:33 AM   #1
gone traveling

Earlier this year we were talking to a couple FA's and they asked how we envisioned our retirement and how much we thought we would need so we described it and both basically said we need to dream bigger....

Thinking about some of our best vacations and it wasn't the ones to Hawaii, the Alaskan cruise or Disney Land it was the 5 hour drive to the mountains and the nice long walks and hikes just having an in-depth conversations with our boys.

We do have a timeshare and that's certainly not free but we will be doing a 4 day - $100 "vacation challenge" that I'm really looking forward to.

I'm a minimalist at heart but a minimalist maximist in practice (that's when you find the least expensive item needed and you buy multiples - such as guns ).

The older I get (I'm almost 50) the less stuff I "need" or want. Today the car I drive is about half as expensive as what I bought when I was in my early 20 that I couldn't afford and the house we have is certainly the least expensive/simplest (by far) amongst our peers.

Any of you in the same boat?
SmallCityDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #2

Yep. Our FA told use we could/should spend more. No thanks we’re fine. Agree, the big vacations were memorable, but you can’t do that every day (at least I can’t) and yes, I do got more pleasure from the simple things. Some days just sitting by the fireplace reading, or spending time in the yard are very good days. To each their own, but we tend more to the simple, less stressful life.

The best vacation I took was when DW and I took two weeks off (while we were still working) and took a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We had a reservation in Asheville which was the beginning of our trip and reservations at the Homestead in Hot Springs VA. In between, we just drove around, stopped and stayed when we wanted wherever looked good. It was great.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Megacorp allowed us to defer 8 weeks holidays and I had maxed out. Then they said they would pay a week if I took a week so we took an extra month in addition to the regular 5 weeks. I realized that working was just a pass-time and not the most favored one.

We stopped acquiring things before retiring. After 15 years, we are trying to ramp up spending.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The best things in life are free*
But you can keep them for the birds and bees*
Now give me money*
That's what I want*

But really, yeah.
I ride my bike along the canal.
My best trips this year we're camp hosting at a hot spring in exchange for camping fees and visiting a friend. Cost was gas and car wear and tear, a few nights of hotel and I bought my friend a few dinners and lots of groceries.
Spending more time with my DDs and grand dogs.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Curio and Relic firearms license?
Old 11-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

It’s nice to be able to afford the nicer things. It’s also very nice to not DESIRE the nicest things. I, too, have spent lots of money on all-inclusive resorts, Disney World fist class, big house with a pool, nice cars. But the best vacations for my daughter (15 now) and me always end up being the local small amusement park, playing Yahtzee on camping trips, whichever beach has sand and water, etc. I thought she would be upset about moving from a big house with a pool to a small house without a pool. But no, she likes the small house because now we actually see and talk to one another. Not the case when there were way too many rooms for each of us to find our own space. We like our Honda Civic more than the previous luxury cars. We don’t like fancy restaurants. These aren’t things that I’ve given up in an attempt to retire early. They are things that I gave up because, while more expensive and prestigious, the expensive sand and water at the all inclusive Mexican beach resort isn’t any more fun than the state park sand and water in Florida. Same goes for everything else. I tried the expensive version of most things. To me, they just weren’t worth it. So now I buy the practical things. And would you look at that?——I have enough money to retire!
AS2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS2019 View Post
I thought she would be upset about moving from a big house with a pool to a small house without a pool. But no, she likes the small house because now we actually see and talk to one another. Not the case when there were way too many rooms for each of us to find our own space.

+1! Our current house isn't huge and I love that we have always hung out together in the living room, even if we are doing our own thing there. I'm glad we don't have a rec room for the kids or a separate room for the computer/video games, etc. Occasionally, my child will hang out in her bedroom, but usually prefers to hang with us downstairs. We've thought about a bigger house, but I would hate to give this up! We have easy off the cuff conversations when something crosses our mind.
hausfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We go out pretty often so I keep a spreadsheet of the total cost of our main outings (gas, tickets, drinks, train fares, parking, etc.) and how much fun we had on a scale of 1 to 10. We do have a lot of max fun events that were free except for gas. Technically though, I'd have to say the best things in life for us are under $40, but after that there is little correlation for us between fun and price. One of my seat filler subscriptions usually has around 100 events each week, sometimes big ticket events at a good discount, so we'll do those when they pop up. But when there aren't any big ticket events, we're content just doing something inexpensive like going to a park, the beach, a community theater play or out for Chinese food.

I thought we would downsize and travel more after we retired, but instead we kept the house and got a dog. So we tend to do more day trips or car trips where we can take our dog with us. A California state parks pass for seniors, good 9 months of the year, is only $20 for 280 state run parks, beaches, museums, etc.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #9
gone traveling

The best things in life aren't free.
But they can't be bought.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #10

Well it’s snowing here today so I’ll be curling up with a book soon. Maybe I’ll read one of the cheap books from the library book sale.

IMG_0044.jpg
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

To me the best in life is almost free. It might cost me a little gas or a little here or there but the outdoors is my savior and my paradise. I live and breathe to be in the outdoors where it is hiking, just a walk, fishing, hunting, trapping and working at the ranch which doesn't cost much but to me it is free. I do one of these activities everyday and sometimes many of them the same day.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallCityDave View Post
Earlier this year we were talking to a couple FA's and they asked how we envisioned our retirement and how much we thought we would need so we described it and both basically said we need to dream bigger....

<snip>

The older I get (I'm almost 50) the less stuff I "need" or want. Today the car I drive is about half as expensive as what I bought when I was in my early 20 that I couldn't afford and the house we have is certainly the least expensive/simplest (by far) amongst our peers.

Any of you in the same boat?
I'm for sure in that boat, and maybe my boat is just a 12 footer, since I would never be talking to an FA. I was addicted to stuff for years, but sometime around 65 years old I was done. I will spend to try to keep GF tolerating me, and I hope that works. Many people see thrift as a character defect, or perhaps as a tell, and that means I will often be out of synch with others.

Ha
Old 11-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

You know, I am finding that as I grow older, I enjoy being at home a whole bunch more than traveling. I don't think I could cite one reason, but a multitude of them. First, I think the 22 years in AF and flying around the world enabled me to see A LOT. Much more than the average person, I would guess. I was also very lucky that since we "had our own airplane", there were no hassles with security, lines at the airport, etc (although we had our own special problems). Plus most of the traveling we have done recently is just a big pain in the arse and I am always VERY happy to be home and in my own bed.

So, we have elected to spend a little more on the house we will hopefully close on in a little less than a month. And...it even has a pool, which I didn't think I would *ever* own. But, I realized that when we travel to places that have a beach, I have always enjoyed the visuals of the beach, but swimming in a pool. Also, the lot is a bit bigger than we originally were thinking of, but that assures us privacy while in our outdoor oasis.

OK...so I just finished posting about spending money in a "best things are free" thread...so...sorry about that.

How about this...I once owned a boat *and* an airplane...and they are FAR from free! But I am now *free* of those money suck adventures.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
The best things in life aren't free.
But they can't be bought.
+1.

I feel the same way. Best things in life have no monetary value.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:42 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We go out pretty often so I keep a spreadsheet of the total cost of our main outings (gas, tickets, drinks, train fares, parking, etc.) and how much fun we had on a scale of 1 to 10. We do have a lot of max fun events that were free except for gas. Technically though, I'd have to say the best things in life for us are under $40, but after that there is little correlation for us between fun and price. One of my seat filler subscriptions usually has around 100 events each week, sometimes big ticket events at a good discount, so we'll do those when they pop up. But when there aren't any big ticket events, we're content just doing something inexpensive like going to a park, the beach, a community theater play or out for Chinese food.

I thought we would downsize and travel more after we retired, but instead we kept the house and got a dog. So we tend to do more day trips or car trips where we can take our dog with us. A California state parks pass for seniors, good 9 months of the year, is only $20 for 280 state run parks, beaches, museums, etc.
Based on your posts in total, you appear to have one of the most efficient entertainment budgets on the site.
Keep the ideas coming....
Old 11-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #16

Nope. Simple example, Sunrises, and sunsets. To me those are the two most important parts of my day. Besides seeing the kiddos of course. The kiddo's aint free tho.

Even as we travel we've realized we have much more fun on a nature walk for an hour than we do in a restaurant, or a museum.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #17
gone traveling

Most often sex is free in my experience.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:24 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Well sort of...
I love hiking and being in the outdoors and that is pretty darn cheap, but...
I love hiking in different parts of the world where I can enjoy experiencing an entirely new environment. This year walking around Iguazu Falls on the Argentina/Brazil border, hiking across a glacier in southern Argentina, and hiking in Croatian national parks (Plitvice, Krka, Paklenica). Hopefully it will be a while before I give up those kinds of experiences and getting there isn't cheap.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:30 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Not totally true with my ex......
Old 11-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Perhaps at point of transaction. But there is a fair amount of unallocated overhead.

Ha