Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Are These Stove Flames Normal?
Old 02-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are These Stove Flames Normal?

The flames seem a lot yellower than usual. Googling tells me the stove isn't getting enough air.

What could have happened?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #2

Google is right. Are all the burners like that?
Old 02-23-2019, 06:44 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

It has been a while, but as I remember, there's an open tube that goes to the burners... if that got misadjusted, I'd get the mixed color flames.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

^ yes yo are right. Here is a video that explains it better then I could tell you. It needs some more air.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...&oe=#kpvalbx=1
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #5

My thought on whether or not this is all burners is because it helps to understand what’s going on. If it’s just one burner, then the adjustment is probably going to be the answer. Though, how did it get out of adjustment? Did you just move the stove or clean it in a way that would cause something to happen? It may just be that the burner isn’t seated right. Again, knowing a few things will help. If it’s all burners, I think I’d call a service person. Not sure if you can get bad natural gas but it would seem unlikely all the burners got clogged or out of adjustment all at one time.

More likely it’s a clog. You may have a spider in there. That’s the most common reason for this to happen in my outdoor grills’ burner.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes , abnormal. Call PG&E . They should come out to do a safety check and adjust anything that can be adjusted for free.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:39 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:44 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

^ been already posted.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:45 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
My thought on whether or not this is all burners is because it helps to understand what’s going on. If it’s just one burner, then the adjustment is probably going to be the answer. Though, how did it get out of adjustment? Did you just move the stove or clean it in a way that would cause something to happen? It may just be that the burner isn’t seated right. Again, knowing a few things will help. If it’s all burners, I think I’d call a service person. Not sure if you can get bad natural gas but it would seem unlikely all the burners got clogged or out of adjustment all at one time.

More likely it’s a clog. You may have a spider in there. That’s the most common reason for this to happen in my outdoor grills’ burner.
^^^

Yes. A spider did this to my outdoor burner.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:02 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ been already posted.
I didn't get the video when I clicked the link earlier.... besides, mine is much prettier.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:39 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

^ I forgot everything you do is better and prettier. LOL
Old 02-24-2019, 08:28 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Guess what? Today it is back to normal. Here it is on high:

Maybe there was a spider involved, but he couldn't stand the heat and got out of the kitchen?

PS Yes, it was all burners.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #13

With it being all burners, my guess is that it was something with the gas. Maybe there was a loss in pressure. I don’t know for certain, but I don’t think there is a central air flow that would get clogged. As the twice posted ( ) video shows, the air is burner specific. Maybe your stove is different, but at least it looks good this morning.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
With it being all burners, my guess is that it was something with the gas. Maybe there was a loss in pressure. I don’t know for certain, but I don’t think there is a central air flow that would get clogged. As the twice posted ( ) video shows, the air is burner specific. Maybe your stove is different, but at least it looks good this morning.
I've been having issues with the propane. Our new furnace frequently fails to light. It's a mess. Furnace guy has been out six times.

I had the propane regulator adjusted a week ago.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've been having issues with the propane. Our new furnace frequently fails to light. It's a mess. Furnace guy has been out six times.

I had the propane regulator adjusted a week ago.
Time for a new regulator. A propane or natural gas regulator is adjusted once upon installation. If years down the road, suddenly gets flaky, needs adjustment, get a new one.

This is not an area to cheap out. Seriously.

Get a new furnace guy too. 6 trips to figure out a supply pressure issue ?
Old 02-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Time for a new regulator. A propane or natural gas regulator is adjusted once upon installation. If years down the road, suddenly gets flaky, needs adjustment, get a new one.

^ exactly. I would request a new regulator from your Energy Supplier. I also would tell him you are documenting this call and the problems that have been happening. The ball is in their hands and the liability is theirs and they know that if somethings happens. I wish you the best and hope it gets resolved because of the gas can be very dangerous.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Should have done that 3 trips ago. Seriously, a furnace is not rocket science, and they can of course be dangerous if not repaired correctly. Anyone that tries 6 times and fails is incompetent, and possibly dangerous.

As far as the yellow flames, I have noticed some yellow on rare occasions on our stove. For maybe a day, then back to normal? I assume it is atmospheric pressure or humidity related, maybe furnace and water heater on at the same time drops the pressure? Since it was a minor change and went away, I never was too concerned.

However, the flames you show are very yellow. Mine were never that bad.

Can you get a pressure meter connected somewhere in the house so you can monitor the situation?

Don't play around, get someone competent in to look at it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #18

BTW, did you ever get a larger gas line installed for your tankless water heater that was tripping off on safety control years ago ?

EDIT: that might have been another poster with the tankless problem.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
BTW, did you ever get a larger gas line installed for your tankless water heater that was tripping off on safety control years ago ?

EDIT: that might have been another poster with the tankless problem.
Yeah, that was someone else.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Good to know. Will do. I was thinking that a new one might be a waste if the old is now putting out enough pressure (13.5 " of water column), but I take it there are other issues involved? I'll do it and hope it solves the furnace issue. #BurnThatDough!

Furnace guy has seemed good, but I agree he should have caught this early, perhaps. OTOH, some of his visits were for other problems (water coming out onto the floor, for example).

My concern is that because the pressure was low, things have sooted up, so that even with good pressure, the furnace will still have problems. What do you think?

About 1/10 times it cycles up, turns on the flame, fails to detect the flame, shuts down for 10 seconds, then starts up again (usually successful second time around).

Here's a video I took so the furnace guy could see the problem even if it didn't happen when he came here.

I had to do this about six times before I got it to fail. That's why you hear me say "Ah. Got it!" when it fails.