Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

It was too much for me, I took the Rollercoaster Rush app off the iPod and am now into "Dogs Playing Poker."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looked around to see if there was anything I wanted to buy - or sell - for a few quick bucks and decided that the magic 8-ball was telling me the truth when it said, "Reply hazy, try again".

So I decided to go and stimulate the economy and went car shopping.

I think I'll stick with what Merryle Rukeyser said on his son's show one night, when in his late 80's he was asked if he was still invested in the stock market. "A man my age", he said, "can't afford to not have exposure to equities."

The markets are having a moment and I'll just avoid being sucked in to the craziness for the time being.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #123
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I've just cranked up my ebay sales and put the Ipad on hold !
Don't do it, don't do it!! Just joking but I know you want that iPad for your travels.

But then again, maybe they'll come out with an iPad II or something this winter. Then those who waited could be glad they did.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I think I'll stick with what Merryle Rukeyser said on his son's show one night, when in his late 80's he was asked if he was still invested in the stock market. "A man my age", he said, "can't afford to not have exposure to equities."

That's states my position very well, I would feel more comfortable if I were more exposed; it's what I got used it in 38 years of ups and downs. Don't want to be left behind when/if it takes off again.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Don't do it, don't do it!! Just joking but I know you want that iPad for your travels.

But then again, maybe they'll come out with an iPad II or something this winter. Then those who waited could be glad they did.

Well since I'm just back from two trips I'm safe for awhile . The drops put me into Uncle Mick mode ( cheap bastard ) for awhile .
Old 05-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Been w*rking all day to make a bit of money. Got to delay withdrawal from savings, in order to wait for the equity-to-food conversion rate to be a bit more favorable, you know.

Anyway, where were we? Oh yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Don't have much time left? I thought I saw in your signature you're 53. I'm 52. If you don't have much time, well.....
Well, either you are running out of time too (but do not realize it), or I am really older than I want to admit, like FIREdreamer recently got suspicious about . Don't want to risk expulsion from this forum, you know. What is this geezer still working part-time doing in an ER forum, and why would anyone trust an old f*rt to do any good work?

Quote:
...that's my negativity leaking out. I really feel the fundamentals are horrible. I can't see a logical case for an up side. I'm not here to argue or to convince anyone I'm right. I'm always hoping someone can provide me with a clear case in which employment, salaries, spending, and profits rise.

Most people in my extended family are on some kind of gov't support or are hurting. I really do hope your optimism carries the day, and you have your revenge in the morning.
Seriously, I can see your point too. Just saw a Web article lamenting the fact that this month sees another group of college graduates getting thrown out there in the bleak job market, while many earlier graduates are still pounding the pavement, looking for that elusive job. The article described how a civil engineering graduating last year with 3 internships finally found work. As a waiter.

I really feel for people who want work and cannot find it. Life is really unfair. In a recession, people who are unemployed or retirees short of cash are forced to dip into their savings, while the other half is able to enjoy some amenities at lower costs, and to have money to buy equities at a fire-sale price.

I just don't know what to say to you. But there is one thing I often remind myself of. That is, our view of the situation is affected by the circumstances that surround us. We may see the world as rosy or gloomy as we see how our friends or relatives fare in this economy. I have seen some recent news about how the manufacturing field is coming back, but the service sector may be lagging this time. The high-tech or electronic sector is doing well, perhaps because it benefits from export as well as domestic consumption. I still own no iSomething, but look at the iPad thread in this forum and you see how people are clamoring for it. Somebody is making money...

Just trying to say that perhaps things are really picking up, but at an uneven pace across different sectors and different areas of the country. Just today, I saw a headline about 38 states seeing more jobs created. Of course I would not blame the previously mentioned civil engineer who is now serving food for not believing it.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #127
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Seriously, I can see your point too. Just saw a Web article lamenting the fact that this month sees another group of college graduates getting thrown out there in the bleak job market, while many earlier graduates are still pounding the pavement, looking for that elusive job. The article described how a civil engineering graduating last year with 3 internships finally found work. As a waiter.

I really feel for people who want work and cannot find it. Life is really unfair. In a recession, people who are unemployed or retirees short of cash are forced to dip into their savings, while the other half is able to enjoy some amenities at lower costs, and to have money to buy equities at a fire-sale price.

I just don't know what to say to you. But there is one thing I often remind myself of. That is, our view of the situation is affected by the circumstances that surround us. We may see the world as rosy or gloomy as we see how our friends or relatives fare in this economy. I have seen some recent news about how the manufacturing field is coming back, but the service sector may be lagging this time. The high-tech or electronic sector is doing well, perhaps because it benefits from export as well as domestic consumption. I still own no iSomething, but look at the iPad thread in this forum and you see how people are clamoring for it. Somebody is making money...

Just trying to say that perhaps things are really picking up, but at an uneven pace across different sectors and different areas of the country. Just today, I saw a headline about 38 states seeing more jobs created. Of course I would not blame the previously mentioned civil engineer who is now serving food for not believing it.
This is my situation. Got my Masters in 2008 and I'm still underemployed at a library job that's crushing my soul. I want to get into tech writing and UX design, and finding mentors and building up my portfolio has been a nightmare. At this point I'd be content just getting freelance work in these sectors in lieu of a full-time position.

I hear and read reports of how the economy is on the mend, but I don't see it. All I see is me struggling to pay student loans and pay for my health insurance out of pocket, my parents struggling to pay their mortgage (and I'm worried that they may be headed into foreclosure at this point,) and my friends working crappy jobs that are below their skill level and aren't related to what they went to school (and went into debt) for.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima Mundi View Post
my parents struggling to pay their mortgage (and I'm worried that they may be headed into foreclosure at this point,)
I wish you all the best.

I have 4 friends out here is So Cal. They haven't paid their mortgages in a year and none of them have gotten a nasty gram. Another was told by his tax attorney to stop paying even though he could afford it. The bank reset his loan, and he's now in his mansion with a low mortgage.

Now I'm not saying to cheat, but there are programs out there for people who are hurting.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #129
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I wish you all the best.

I have 4 friends out here is So Cal. They haven't paid their mortgages in a year and none of them have gotten a nasty gram. Another was told by his tax attorney to stop paying even though he could afford it. The bank reset his loan, and he's now in his mansion with a low mortgage.

Now I'm not saying to cheat, but there are programs out there for people who are hurting.

My worst fears have been realized. They are in foreclosure status and they kept it hidden from me all this time. My dad runs his own business and it was a sudden drop in income that forced them to no longer be able to make the monthly payments, and spparently Wells Fargo has been a stubborn PITA with them and won't give them any options. I don't think there's any hope for them at this point and they may very well be forced to move out.

Things like this make me wonder if I'd be better off marrying some rich geezer for serious.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My worst fears have been realized. They are in foreclosure status and they kept it hidden from me all this time. My dad runs his own business and it was a sudden drop in income that forced them to no longer be able to make the monthly payments, and spparently Wells Fargo has been a stubborn PITA with them and won't give them any options. I don't think there's any hope for them at this point and they may very well be forced to move out.

Things like this make me wonder if I'd be better off marrying some rich geezer for serious.
Have them try to talk to the lender and do some googling of loan modification programs that might be appropriate.

And if you keep making comments like that, some of the dirty old men gentlemen of advanced years on the board might be willing to make your acquaintance...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ummm...you should work, lbym, learn how to invest and be in control of your own finances....for serious.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not real likely Brewer, we cheapskates would be more likely to look down at the local homeless shelter for what's on sale today only. Hey Baby, how'd you like a Big Mac and Fries?

Ha
Old 05-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #133
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Have them try to talk to the lender and do some googling of loan modification programs that might be appropriate.

And if you keep making comments like that, some of the dirty old men gentlemen of advanced years on the board might be willing to make your acquaintance...
Thanks for the info.

...and I should've used a different emote with my last post. My attempt at humor failed.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

...and I should've used a different emote with my last post. My attempt at humor failed.

Question: is their loan an agency/conforming loan?

- Will Rogers
Old 05-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
It was too much for me, I took the Rollercoaster Rush app off the iPod and am now into "Dogs Playing Poker."
Speaking of rollercoasters, here's a neat graphic video on the ups and downs of the Vancouver housing market. Warning: take Gravol before viewing!

#!
Old 05-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #136
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Question: is their loan an agency/conforming loan?
I'm not sure. All I know is that it's through Wells Fargo. I'll have to ask them.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not sure. All I know is that it's through Wells Fargo. I'll have to ask them.
If it is a conforming/agency mortgage, there are all sorts of modification programs and things like "deed for lease."

- Will Rogers
Old 05-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Here you go.........this could be you with your dream geezer one day.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don't think there's any hope for them at this point and they may very well be forced to move out.
I'm very sorry to hear that. Strategy? Stick together. If you live together-stay in until they force you to move out. Cut everything to the bone. Sell all you can on Craig's list. Pool your money. Stay positive. Be supportive. I don't know how old you are. I was very emotional when I was young. This can be very traumatic. Seek emotional support from your friends.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been watching this guy for a while. I just like him. No politics, no conspiracy, no self congratulation.... just some good calls monitoring charts, history, and sentiment.

dow slumps 3.6 "we are on schedule for a very very long bear market" prechter says: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance