Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you a curmudgeon, and if so does it bother you?
I am under 50. I have become more of a curmudgeon and I don't care. 11 13.10%
I am under 50. I have become more of a curmudgeon and sometimes I feel a little guilty about it. 8 9.52%
I am under 50. I have not become more of a curmudgeon. 3 3.57%
I am 50 or over. I have become more of a curmudgeon and I don't care. 23 27.38%
I am 50 or over. I have become more of a curmudgeon and sometimes I feel a little guilty about it. 9 10.71%
I am 50 or over. I have not become more of a curmudgeon. 25 29.76%
I just don't fit into these categories for some reason, or I think the question is poorly designed, but I like to vote in polls! 5 5.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2009, 11:15 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I am 50 or older and I want to be a curmudgeon when if I grow up.
You can still accomplish this goal if you apply yourself diligently!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My real poll answer:

I am 50 or over. I have become more of a curmudgeon and I like it!

Coach

Old 09-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I am a bit too young to be a full-fledged curmudgeon, but I am well on my way to become one... I can be bad-tempered and difficult, but good manners still prevent me from getting in people's face and bluntly let them know of my displeasure. Unfortunately, I have come to find that, in many situations, being well-mannered gets you no freakin' respect...

Last week I was at the grocery store and this woman had parked her cart across the aisle so that I could not move through. She was talking on her cell phone and saw that I wanted to go by, but didn't move one inch to make way. So I waited patiently, smiling at her when she glanced at me, until she finally hung up and moved her cart. I said "thank you" and went on my way. I wish I could have told her what was really on my mind...
Old 09-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am 50 or over. I have become more of a curmudgeon and sometimes I feel a little guilty about it.

I felt guilty for exactly 1 nanosecond.
I consider myself a reasonably congenial person, and strive to maintain a very long fuse. This comes from years of being deliberately baited at w*rk and by my exMIL. Nobody ever did get me to explode verbally.
However, I do notice lately that I have even less patience for whiners or those who won't help themselves out of bad situations. I find myself really clamping my lips to keep from stating the obvious.
I've always been outspoken, but not recklessly. I hope it stays that way.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #25

My sisters told me I was a curmudgeon. When I was 20. It's gotten worse.

As far as idiots blocking the grocery store aisle with their carts, I used to be polite and just wait. Now I push 'em out of the way (the carts, not the people).
Old 09-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #26

I voted that I wasn't becoming a curmudgeon. I think I'm a nice person most of the time. I do get irritated and mutter under my breath when people irk me. Maybe I'm a pre-curmudgeon and haven't blossomed yet. I have yelled at kids being in my yard a couple of times...without a shotgun though. Hmmm, wonder if it's too late to change my vote.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I was quite curmudgeonly my last few years of wage slavery. MY curmudgeonliness diminished rather rapidly when I FIRED.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
You can still accomplish this goal if you apply yourself diligently!
Now who are you to tell me what to do? Get off my lawn out of my face!

How am I doing so far?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Now who are you to tell me what to do? Get off my lawn out of my face!

How am I doing so far?
You are making great progress, grasshopper.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am not a curmudgeon. I am usually the person in the grocery store cornered by the old guys who want to tell me about their bowel habits and how to tell if the cantaloupe is ripe .
That is me also. e.g. 20 years ago shortly after moving to Louisiana I was talking with my neighbor on the front lawn and he told me about one of his 2 drop dead gorgeous daughters (aged about 20). She was having trouble with a polyp on her anus and he was describing the treatment in detail (rubber band around to cut off the blood flow to make it shrivel up and drop off ). After that, every time I was talking to her I had to fight back the urge to ask her how her polyp was doing.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

One of the local towns bordering Kansas City passed a leash law for dogs.

I was going by the Police Station last summer - there was a guy(curmudgeon??) walking his dog out front - maybe two foot leash draging on the ground while he was giving commands - stop/go/sit/roll over - any thing but pick up the leash. I pulled over and watched for while but nobody came out to give him a ticket.

Looked over 50 - obviously a protester/lawyer/or curmudgeon in training.

heh heh heh -
Old 09-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
In some ways I've 'lightened up', in others...

Really wanted to go over and smack the neighbor's yappy little dog.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post

Ya yappy little dogs bring out the grump in me.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post

Some Beethoven or Wagner or opera, played at high volume with the external speaker (in the screened porch), strategically pointed in the direction of the noisy neighbors, has done wonders for me in the past.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I was a "dyed in the wool" curmudgeon in my younger days -- one of those who do not "suffer fools gladly." I spent my working life in "customer service" type jobs -- mostly, but nor exclusively, retail. Consequently, I was particularly hard on front line folks -- pity the poor teenage cashier/clerk who provided less than adequate service.

I have since "grown" up and now find tremendous humor in such situations... much to the chagrin of my curmugeonly grandchildren.

In the other areas, my hair has always been much too long and my music played much too loud and I burned all of my Ties twenty years before retiring much too early by conventional thinking.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am not a curmudgeon. I am usually the person in the grocery store cornered by the old guys who want to tell me about their bowel habits and how to tell if the cantaloupe is ripe .
I sure hope they wash their hands between the two activities!!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Yah, I'm a mean evil b*stard. Just today walked back into a restaurant kitchen and demanded to know where the cook was. Wanted to thank him for making fries just right. Hot, not greasy, fully cooked, crisp, not limp - perfect. Dunno why that's so difficult for restaurants to achieve. Took me several sentences to loosen him up and be sure i wasn't gonna rank on him. Never really seemed to work out for me when I put bad energy out there. OTOH, it's pretty fun to thank or compliment someone who isn't expecting it. I tip ok in restaurants - 20% is a norm, but rarely tip anyone else. Tend to feel that sincere eye-to-eye real contact words are better - handing someone $$ if they are in a service position seems demeaning. Hmm. Maybe that is curmudgeonly - reminds me of my telling tenants that "mouth full of sorry and hand full of nothing at all don't pay no bills".
Old 09-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not a curmudgeon, I'm the parent of a teenager.

But in just 333 more days I'll be a full-time professional hermit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I am becoming more and more like that, the closer I get to ER! Today I growled at a couple of older gentlemen at the grocery store who were blocking the ENTIRE aisle with their carts, when they were the only two people in the whole aisle. They growled back so it was a truce. And they did move (a minimum amount) when I said "PARDON ME!!!!" before growling.
Later, I felt a little guilty about it.
So, your feelings are important too, but how does Frank feel about this public flirting?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I am a bit too young to be a full-fledged curmudgeon, but I am well on my way to become one...
DW just confirmed my suspicions. She too thinks I will be one hell of a grumpy old man...
Old 09-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm not a curmudgeon, I'm the parent of a teenager.

But in just 333 more days I'll be a full-time professional hermit!
You'll miss her but I suspect you won't be a hermit! You'll be too busy having fun, which is as it should be.

Quote:
So, your feelings are important too, but how does Frank feel about this public flirting?
He knows that one man is enough for me to keep up with. Two (or heaven forbid, three) would probably do me in.

- - H. Melville, 1851