Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you a curmudgeon, and if so does it bother you?
I am under 50. I have become more of a curmudgeon and I don't care. 11 13.10%
I am under 50. I have become more of a curmudgeon and sometimes I feel a little guilty about it. 8 9.52%
I am under 50. I have not become more of a curmudgeon. 3 3.57%
I am 50 or over. I have become more of a curmudgeon and I don't care. 23 27.38%
I am 50 or over. I have become more of a curmudgeon and sometimes I feel a little guilty about it. 9 10.71%
I am 50 or over. I have not become more of a curmudgeon. 25 29.76%
I just don't fit into these categories for some reason, or I think the question is poorly designed, but I like to vote in polls! 5 5.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Are you a Curmudgeon?
Old 09-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Are you a Curmudgeon?

We have described curmudgeonly behavior, such a yelling at kids to "Get off my grass!" The curmudgeon is typically grumpy and maybe even a little mean to others. The dictionary definition is,
Quote:
a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person.
Do you think you have become more curmudgeonly over the years? If so, does it bother you?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I don't respond to these stupid polls. And get off my lawn!

Oh yeah, I'm also a member of the AARP: "Armed And Really Pissed"...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AARP.jpg (31.5 KB, 220 views)
Old 09-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I don't respond to these stupid polls. And get off my lawn!

Oh yeah, I'm also a member of the AARP: "Armed And Really Pissed"...
I am becoming more and more like that, the closer I get to ER! Today I growled at a couple of older gentlemen at the grocery store who were blocking the ENTIRE aisle with their carts, when they were the only two people in the whole aisle. They growled back so it was a truce. And they did move (a minimum amount) when I said "PARDON ME!!!!" before growling.

Later, I felt a little guilty about it. After all, why should I be in a hurry anyway? And they probably just hadn't considered the possible existence of anybody else in the universe.

BTW, I *love* Clint Eastwood - always have.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have always been pretty happy and don't feel I've changed all that much. Definitely inherited that personality, so I can't say it's anything wonderful I did all by myself (my father was still yukking it up in his 80's, and have some relatives who are professional comedians..just a bunch of happy fools).
Old 09-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to be that way, but I think it was mostly j*b related stress. I'm feeling much better now.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

BTW, I *love* Clint Eastwood - always have.
.....then I have a gift for you....

Old 09-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
.....then I have a gift for you....
Woo-hoo!!! MERCY! That was sizzlin'.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

ok - so how many members of this forum have a Curmudgeon Certificate in their name of suitable for framing quality - downloaded from this very forum awarded by a 'former' member who later departed under less than mutually agreeable terms.

Eh?

Hmmmm -

I like to save my grump for special occasions.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Well but UncleMick, you are a Curmudgeon with a capital "C", certificate and all.

We are but lowly curmudgeons with a small "c".

And if you don't like that, then get off my grass!

Old 09-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

I am not a curmudgeon. I am usually the person in the grocery store cornered by the old guys who want to tell me about their bowel habits and how to tell if the cantaloupe is ripe .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am not a curmudgeon. I am usually the person in the grocery store cornered by the old guys who want to tell me about their bowel habits and how to tell if the cantaloupe is ripe .
Id worry if they want to squeeze your mellons to see if they were ripe. But usually I just sniff the end it was picked at. You can tell that way
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Certain authorities around here have called me a curmudgeon, I think because I can sometimes spot advanced idiocy when it has become fully ripe. However, I do not believe that I am a curmudgeon. Women smile at me in the street all the time, I believe because I look friendly and approachable.

I would certainly never yell at kids. I raised two sons and don't think that I ever yelled at either one. Just seeing kids makes me smile. I like to see kids with their mothers, kids with their fathers, Moms and Dads with their whole families, old men with their young girlfriends. All these things make me happy.

Ha
Old 09-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #13

Well, gee...lemme see.....Yup, "I have become more of a curmudgeon and I don't care". Used to be that stupid, inconsiderate, or disrespectful people (regardless of age) pissed me off irritated me. But things have changed! They still irritate me, but now I let 'em know about it! I don't try to appease folks any more....I speak my piece, anytime, anywhere....and I just don't really give a rip about what they think about it either!!!

Curmudgeon? Eh, whatever! Folks can call me whatever they like....but they best get the h*ll of my lawn first!

Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Well, gee...lemme see.....Yup, "I have become more of a curmudgeon and I don't care". Used to be that stupid, inconsiderate, or disrespectful people (regardless of age) pissed me off irritated me. But things have changed! They still irritate me, but now I let 'em know about it! I don't try to appease folks any more....I speak my piece, anytime, anywhere....and I just don't really give a rip about what they think about it either!!!

Curmudgeon? Eh, whatever! Folks can call me whatever they like....but they best get the h*ll of my lawn first!

Hey Goonie!! I like your attitude! Although sometimes I just ignore them as not worth my time, in general I am not one to put up with stupid, inconsiderate, or disrespectful people either (regardless of age). I am just not that submissive and unassertive. And yes, I believe that does make us curmudgeonly by definition.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Wow! over 30 votes and the race is neck and neck but overall the curmudgeons are in the lead!

Old 09-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I am a proud curmdgeon, thanks for asking. I'd yell at kids if I ever went anywhere they were or lived somewhere they could get to my grass! And darn proud of it.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #17

None of the poll categories fit me. I am over 50 but I have ALWAYS been a crumudgeon. Given my handle on this forum, that should come as not surprise.

Grumpy
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I suspect if y'all weren't all off the grass, you wouldn't be so cranky.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I suspect if y'all weren't all off the grass, you wouldn't be so cranky.
Well, from what some of our more curmudgeonly members have implied, I think they aren't and still are!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #20

I am 50 or older and I want to be a curmudgeon when if I grow up.