Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2010, 06:08 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Private. Always happy and relaxed to be alone, like to spend some time with a couple close friends, any more than that rapidly exhausts my limited supply of 'social energy'.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm a private people person.
I don't think the OP was asking about what you'd rather do in the private to some desirable person's privates.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I flip between ISTJ and INTJ, so not crazy about large group socializing (uncomfortable). Having said that, I do seek out social opportunities although I do best in small groups where I know most of the people.

For some reason, I am capable at public speaking. I don't especially enjoy it and it takes a lot out of me, but I must have some skill since I get regular solicitations to speak within my employer organization.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:05 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Bit of both. I enjoy meeting new people at a dinner table situation but I hate cocktail party settings. I could never "work a room."
Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 AM   #25

Im sociable but private. At work people considered me cold but that was mostly my effort to build barriers between work and home life, which I accomplished quite effectively.

The internet has greatly enabled individuals, especially shy folks, to have social contact but still control their privacy levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
For some reason, I am capable at public speaking. I don't especially enjoy it and it takes a lot out of me, but I must have some skill since I get regular solicitations to speak within my employer organization.
It must be your uncontainable enthusiasm for the job and work environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm not even sure how long we'll be happy to have our daughter home this holiday season.

But if past behavior is any predictor, it's not as though she's going to be spending her holiday season actually at home. We'll just have occasional midwatch transients from a high-bearing-rate contact.
We love having the kids back home. And then saying goodbye once again.

I never took Myers-Briggs and feel I may have missed something important in my life.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It must be your uncontainable enthusiasm for the job and work environment.

I never took Myers-Briggs and feel I may have missed something important in my life.
Nah, you didn't miss much. The biggest benefit of taking the Myers-Briggs test for me was a day out of the office with lunch provided.

Like many others here, I'm a private person but do enjoy some socializing.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm more of a private person as well. I enjoy spending time with a few close friends but typically avoid large gatherings.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #28

INTP here
Old 11-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I am a private person but enjoy a moderate amount of socializing with others . What I find funny is most of my friends are the opposite but they understand me and give me space.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm extremely shy, so I'd say I'm a private person.

Hmmm...on second thought shy is not the right word. I like to observe others but I am more content talking one on one...
Would not have guessed that, but I guess being an anonymous person on the Internet empowers all of us............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I am definitely an introvert.......................NOT!!!!

Old 11-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I flip between ISTJ and INTJ, so not crazy about large group socializing (uncomfortable). Having said that, I do seek out social opportunities although I do best in small groups where I know most of the people.

Exactly the same story, down to the flip between the ISTJ and INTJ. Used to do a lot of public speaking, now not so much. Dread it but am good at it.

I love planning our huge party every St. Pat's, but as the day approaches, I start to feel like I could just get the whole thing set up, all the food prepared, then slink away, leaving everyone else to actually enjoy the party itself.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #33

ISTJ here, sometimes INTJ, occasionally borderline ESTJ. I can deal with large crowds but then I want a lot of "down time" after. Smaller groups are preferred though

And I can get lost for hours building an airplane, working with Photoshop, and the like.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Interesting that so many folks on here think they introverts.............based on your posts, I never would have thunk it!

Old 11-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

To quote the old one-liner.......I could be a people person, if people weren't such azzholes.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Interesting that so many folks on here think they introverts.............based on your posts, I never would have thunk it!
I think the fact that introversion does not equate to being shy has been been to death on this board, but here it is again! LOL.

I went to visit my sister, and her boyfriend who used to be a sales guy would not stop talking. I was freaking exhausted from having to respond to some statement or question every 15 seconds. Put it Internet terms, forums are fine, but IM would be too much.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #37

COMPLETELY understand the exhaustion.

We recently had the in-laws at our house for almost two weeks. I knew they were coming but thought they'd be with us for a long weekend (DH didn't know they were staying so long either).

They're pretty low maintenance, but I work from home and had to work while they were here. So between cooking every night, generally feeling like we had to 'entertain' them and simply having people in our house, by the time they left I was ready to crawl into a hole and hibernate for about a month.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #38

This is an introvert's board, but I'm an ESTJ and a people person; regardless, I likes me alone time alot, too. The parties and dinners are totally enjoyable, and I'm usually among the last to leave as I can go all night...but, lots of noise and clatter wears me out (the Dr. said my hearing was too good, so...). Regardless, party on!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

INTJ.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I do enjoy one-on-one or chatting with a few close friends a lot more.

I've learned over the years, that they (one-on-one vs group setting) are just different animals. On one-on-one, if the other person seems occupied, in another convesation, you might go "What??" but in a group setting the distractions are there..just how it is... Took me awhile to get that.

During the parties, gatherings etc. I get a kick one one couple or person leaves many tend to follow on cue.