Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I have never regifted anything. We don't often give gifts to people outside of our immediate and very small family circle, so regifting anything would get noticed immediately! My step mother is an unapologetic regifter though. A few years ago she gave me a sweater that, as I later learned from my sister, my grandma had given my dad. It was hideous and way, way too big for me. It went strait to the charity shop.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Everyone gets an old sock with a tired piece of coal in it, been doing it for years.

Just kidding, I'm jewish, never had this problem. Oy yoi, oy yoi, If I ver a rich man, yabba dabba dabba doooooooo oooo. And no hanukah gelt either!!!!!!!!!! I'm stressed enough, oy vey

jug
jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I have never regifted anything, either, because it seems extremely rude to me (OK, I admit my attitude is pretty stuffy! But that was my upbringing.). In the past, when I received a gift I didn't want, it went on the top shelf of my closet towards the back. After 5-10 years there, often such a gift ends up being tossed in one of my sporadic downsizing efforts. Kind of a waste, I know. But I just can't bring myself to regift.

However, to combat waste and conserve money/energy around the holiday season, I have been moving towards not giving/receiving gifts, like Khan. Now, I just send my daughter a check and I don't buy other gifts for anyone. After a few years and explanations, people got the idea so I don't receive many/any gifts any more, either. My daughter often sends me something handmade (handmade decorative scented soaps one year, a handmade calendar with her photos on each page last year, for example).

My family is widespread and I seldom see them, so it is impossible to know what any of them might want. Plus, the postage used to be more than the gift was worth sometimes, so I'm sure my relatives are as relieved as I am about not exchanging gifts. Here in New Orleans, I don't even participate in any of the workplace "less than $5" gift exchanges. Frank and I usually do not exchange gifts. We drive around the parish looking at Christmas lights, and drive through the Christmas light display in City Park. He usually buys gift cards for his family from Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, or (after Katrina) Home Depot.

Now to reveal something which some or most of you may consider to be the ultimate in selfishness: Although I do not buy presents for others, I usually buy myself something for myself that I really want around Christmastime so that I don't get the Christmas blues from having no presents. I may not do that this year, since I am having SO much fun with the game "Animal Crossing" for my Wii.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I usually buy myself something for myself that I really want around Christmastime so that I don't get the Christmas blues from having no presents.
This is a smart thing to do. We are so conditioned from our childhood to get something special on Christmas day, that even though we have everything we need, we might feel that something's lacking if we don't get something to play with on Christmas day.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This is a smart thing to do. We are so conditioned from our childhood to get something special on Christmas day, that even though we have everything we need, we might feel that something's lacking if we don't get something to play with on Christmas day.
If I can get over the guilt, I may do that. Here's what I really, really want:
1. A copy of "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell
2. A GPS
Fat chance I'll get either of those from people who have me on their gift lists!

"Bath salts....how kind!" (do they think I need a bath?)
"A scented candle! Thank you SOOOO much!"
Ewwww!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

[quote=Meadbh;754471].... Here's what I really, really want:
...GPS...quote]

With no stock or interest in the company, nor no experience using a dedicated GPS neither - may i suggest you look at the Apple iphone? it adds to your monthly bills, but has GPS and or software that makes it do GPS duty, and gives you high speed internet access via 3G and all kinds of other fun toys - plus it's way more portable than a laptop, gets taken with you so you don't have to worry about someone breaking in to your car to steal it, and can even function as a phone! VERY fun and functional toy!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:17 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I agree with the too girlie comment, but I took the quiz anyway and am evidently a Gift Guru. Who knew?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Achiever, that story about the pressure cooker is very funny--I hope the store is still in business!

We regifted one Christmas all at once to all the relatives and told them it was a regift party--it was a lot of fun. These included the "gift with purchase," the "office Christmas pool," stuff we had bought that we weren't able to return when it didn't work out, and other impersonal kinds of gifts.

But most of the gifts we get any more are from each other or our kids, and we wouldn't regift those (or regift to them). And I agree that most people aren't giving gifts any more. We give cash to the young people, and cash to the parents of babies, and have even stopped the grab bag.

Interestingly not giving gifts at the holidays has helped put all the emphasis on being with each other then, not on giving to each other.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Achiever, that story about the pressure cooker is very funny--I hope the store is still in business!
Unfortunately, it's not....through a series of mergers and acquisitions it's now Macy's. At the time of this story, it was a Midwest family owned store where the owners went out of their way to satisfy the customer. Now, not so sure.

Back to the original question of regifting. As a general practice, I don't regift. Like Wants to Retire, if I receive something I really don't want/need or like, it goes on the shelf and ultimately is donated to a charitable organization.

Except for one time. I received a "Veg-a-Matic" chopper from my SIL. For those of you who might be unfamiliar with this "appliance", it was one of the original Ronco gadgets sold on tv..."It slices, it dices, it makes julienne slices"...it could also sever your finger with the spring loaded guillotine blade that made short work of cutting vegetables. I know some people throught it was the greatest gadget ever made, but I thought it was just dumb.

Sooooo, when my neighbor was getting married, DH and I gave them a check rather than buying a gift...and as a gag, wrapped the check with the Veg-A-Matic. After the wedding, I noted that the check hadn't cleared the bank and when I got their thank you note, I knew why. They said they were crazy about the Veg-A-Matic, used it every day, and thought it was the best gift they received -- but they never mentioned the check. Apparently, they threw away our check with the wrapping paper. Well, since they were so thrilled with the stupid re-gift, we waited a month or so and did a stop payment on the check. Go figure.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:22 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I have never regifted. I would have a hard time giving someone something that I did not want. I know, I know that one man's junk is another man's treasure.
^^ Yeah that.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Well, since they were so thrilled with the stupid re-gift, we waited a month or so and did a stop payment on the check.
Must ask the obvious Q here: Did you reissie them a check? Are you a rechecker?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Must ask the obvious Q here: Did you reissie them a check? Are you a rechecker?
Yes, we sent them another check with a note that explained that the Veg-A-Matic wasn't really the gift. (If they weren't such great neighbors, however, I would have just let the matter drop.)

Years later, they and we still got a good laugh out of the whole episode!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote