Are You Afraid Of Your Neighbors?

There is a registered sex offender a couple blocks away. I don't want to know the details. Any incursion against kids or women is not likely to go well for him in oh so many ways.

No fear of neighbors have I says me.

My main interaction with my direct neighbors is retrieving their dogs when they escape (both sides). In a previous neighborhood, we had some very strange neighbors, But I never called the authorities on any of them (too many stories for this post).

Regarding nextdoor, it is very entertaining. You can sign in to read, but you can't post unless you enroll. Most recently we had a lady that called the police on a Dish employee sitting in a marked Dish white van, because he was waiting for a customer to come home and a bus stop was nearby and she thought he might be trolling for children. Yikes, that conversation is still going on. Unfortunately, I ended up being a lead on Nextdoor for my neighborhood, when I complained to the NextDoor company that the other lead wasn't keeping the crazy political posts off of the site.

I fear no man and only one woman. I actually like all of our neighbors.

Not afraid of my neighbors. They seem like a fun bunch. And most are old people. And we are spread out on 5 acre wooded lots so we rarely see each other.

Nextdoor, like fb, gives folks an anonymous place to whine, threaten, pontificate, worry, etc.

My wife looks every few days and we laugh about the nuts during our happy hour.

When our kids were little we had a crazy drug using couple next door. All the kids were afraid of him. She killed a man driving drunk and he sold and moved. We tried to sell it got so bad for awhile but were underwater. I had clients that were sex offenders from peeing outside or a 18 year old boy having sex with his 16 year old girlfriend.

The neighbors all around me are the greatest people, one could have except for one. I don't fear them just don't want to be around them or do any business with them.

I asked them about 5 years ago if I could drive on a gravel easement so I could cut some trees. It was always a going thing before, when others owned the house, to let the three other homes use it if they needed to get in their back yards. He told me he wasn't interested.

I'm waiting for him to ask, if he can come in my yard when he rebuilds his fence. He will have to be on my property to do the job. Guess what I'm going to say? He had a really good high paying job and got fired a few years back. He just thought his high living could take care of everything but things have changed.

We live in a really quiet area with a mixture of older houses and newer houses that were built for the water access . The son of our neighbor across the street was a problem but He has really calmed down .The rest of the neighbors are fine . Next Door is fine for recommendations for workers and finding lost pets .

Smoking a J in the backyard is not an offense in my neighborhood.
I have never read this complaint on NextDoor.
I have also never seen: spying on us in our backyard” or “I didn’t see it but their dog peed on my flowers.”

Our NextDoor is 70% lost/found animals.

+ 1 and the around the other 30% is...
"Do you know a Plumber, Carpenter or Mason"

When our kids were little we had a crazy drug using couple next door. All the kids were afraid of him. She killed a man driving drunk and he sold and moved. We tried to sell it got so bad for awhile but were underwater. I had clients that were sex offenders from peeing outside or a 18 year old boy having sex with his 16 year old girlfriend.

You mean"peeing outside" can get you in trouble and maybe turn you into a sex offender? :eek:

Houston, we have a problem here. .. :LOL:

The question to go directly to a one-on-one conversation versus using the some authority is one where the context matters.

If you try to resolve it on your own and fail, then resort to the authorities, you're on record as the enemy, whereas if you start with the authority and have the opportunity to remain anonymous, then you won't be on the neighbor's "hit list".

For those here who would have preferred the "why didn't you just tell me" approach, you're not the ones I'm afraid of, because you're all rational people. It's that nut-job neighbor who'll be your sworn enemy for life because you called the cops on him for doing something obviously illegal and something that makes life for others miserable.

All that being said, I've never called the cops or HOA on anyone. That's not to say I haven't witnessed some problems, it's just that I'm not going to upset the apple cart for something that, if I look back on it 5 years from now, won't even register.

Just finished washing some dishes in a dishwasher we bought from a neighbor 5 blocks away from a Nextdoor ad. Cost double what a repair part that might have worked was priced at and a 1/4 the cost of a new machine - and here weeks sooner.

Currently have a great neighbor with a wonderful bunch of kids on one side and a new neighbor doing airBnB on the other - so far the tenants have been just fine. Did have a big group in the first house - we called it the smokehouse then because they burned major ganja alla time. No problem with them though. Up north a long term neighbor has had decades of alcohol and hard drug abuse. Still mostly no problem, though listening to her scream at her latest boyfriend gets old. Guess we are just lucky - I don't mess with them and they don't mess with me. I do eyeball some of the visiting riffraff though. Watched one of them being tased in her yard on a fine sunny afternoon this summer. Police asked if I wanted to press charges for him running through our yard; I declined because they had a long enough list they were charging him with and I don't like to add trouble.

You mean"peeing outside" can get you in trouble and maybe turn you into a sex offender? :eek:

Houston, we have a problem here. .. :LOL:
You'd get booked for indecent exposure and you might as well be the guy at the bus stop with the trench coat.

I'm sometimes afraid of their stupidity. Anyone disruptive enough or noisy enough to bother their neighbors on an "ongoing basis" doesn't care about anyone but themselves and should be approached with great caution. I have done that in my younger days (armed and concealed) but that typically only worked for that event. The next time I'd call the cops but the downside to that is, they then knew who was calling the cops. But that still usually worked much better and they knew then I wasn't going to put up with their "stuff" anymore.

There are nuisance laws on the books for a reason and we have cops to enforce them. IMO, if action is needed, then calling the cops is a much better option "in most cases".

However, since I've moved to the county that really isn't a problem anymore.

Last edited:
Our Nextdoor is only pets, handyman, and news flashes (power out, tree down, etc.), and such. Very boring (in this case, boring is good).

Have great neighbors. No issue there. We walk our small dog most every day. I carry a walking stick, pepper spray, and a 9MM. I've had to brandish the stick at a few loose dogs, but no escalation above that.

Also go to the range about 3X per month. I consider it a civic duty to carry and to be proficient in the use of my preferred side arms.

Also go to the range about 3X per month. I consider it a civic duty to carry and to be proficient in the use of my preferred side arms.
+1 If you are going to carry, you have a responsibility to be proficient for your safety and the safety of innocent bystanders..

Nextdoor here is mostly people asking for recommendations for various services. There are a fair number of lost/found pet posts. It is not unusual that someone says they found a pet and soon enough the owner turns up through Nextdoor and the group really did cause the two to be able to find one another. I haven't seen anything negative on there at all.

You can customize your area FWIW. My Nextdoor "neighborhood" encompasses people in parts of several local towns. (I am within 10 minutes of at least 8 little towns). I wanted to focus then on learning the town I live in so I customized it to only show posts from people who live in the town I am in. After a few months of that I expanded it out a bit but kept it a bit more compact than the initial recommendations.

Anyway, it is very helpful and not much complaining.

No one smokes MJ around here, that I know of. Although, when DW was healing from having four fractured vertebrae (osteoporosis fractures), I got her some medical MJ from Colorado and that helped her immensely. Doc's wouldn't prescribe necessary pain meds so I found an alternative. I'd do this again in a heartbeat even though it was an all day drive to get it.

Around here, we call that Medical Tourism. And just remember to set your cruise control on the speed limit, because your car may smell inside.

I'm sometimes afraid of their stupidity. Anyone disruptive enough or noisy enough to bother their neighbors on an "ongoing basis" doesn't care about anyone but themselves and should be approached with great caution. I have done that in my younger days (armed and concealed) but that typically only worked for that event. The next time I'd call the cops but the downside to that is, they then knew who was calling the cops. But that still usually worked much better and they knew then I wasn't going to put up with their "stuff" anymore.

There are nuisance laws on the books for a reason and we have cops to enforce them. IMO, if action is needed, then calling the cops is a much better option "in most cases".

However, since I've moved to the county that really isn't a problem anymore.
Just curious what county did you move to? It would be good to know the one trouble free county for future reference :)

Funny, but ever since we signed up to NextDoor, DW is convinced we live in a dangerous neighborhood. Reading posts about cars broken into, packages stolen from porches, and strange people walking the streets. We have always felt safe, but now do feel concerned.
So is it better to be informed even if it makes you more fearful?

NextDoor is hilarious. Really fine entertainment.

A couple months ago a woman asked if anyone would let her boyfriend use their outdoor pool three times a week for an hour a day for physical therapy ("You don't even need to be home and we'll be quiet".) Then there are the daily coyote sightings. Suspicious cars seen in the neighborhood (four different descriptions of the car--no one thinks to take a picture of the license plate.) People asking complete strangers if they would cat sit for them while they go on vacation. New parents asking if any neighbors would make microwavable home cooked meals for the busy mother. On and on it goes...

Back
Top Bottom