Are you going in for the Black Friday shopping mania?

I bought a new toilet at Lowes this afternoon for full price. Certainly not a Black Friday event!:D

No more like a Black Water event!

Full price!! :eek:

Well, when ya gotta have one ya gotta have one. The alternative is...?

At the risk of sending this thread down the toilet let's hear it from the DIY crowd.:LOL: Duct tape and cardboard?

So funny--I ordered two on line from Apple today, for a total of $150 in bonus gift cards for the two; we live in a much more populous area than your <100,000 and I did not want to go near a store, Then DH went to Dick's Sporting Goods (to exchange a birthday present that needed to be ordered). Although it was quite busy, he asked a floor clerk if he had to stand in the long line for an exchange and the guy took care of it himself right away. Let me know where else you are shopping so I can coordinate our purchases :)

LOL - could you pick me up a new computer mouse when you go out?

That was a great deal on iPads at Target. Did you also get a 20% off coupon for a future purchase? If you can use those on Apple and Bose products, that's a fantastic coupon. I kept thinking about buying an iPad but eventually decided my iPad 4 was good enough.

There was nothing about a 20% off coupon? - just the $100 GC per Apple product. I agree with you, if I (or DD/SIL) already had an Ipad, I wouldn't be buying a new one. I am amazed at how people keep buying the latest model IPhone, Ipad, each year or two.

We didn't really "need" an Ipad - it is definitely a luxury, but at the "net $379" price, it was a bit hard to continue resisting the desire to get one. We travel a lot and it will be easier than having the computer all the time. And DD/SIL are too cheap to ever buy themselves one, so I think they will enjoy it.

Besides, I am significantly "under budget" my first year of retirement. Got to spend the money somewhere..... :dance:

LOL - could you pick me up a new computer mouse when you go out?

There was nothing about a 20% off coupon? - just the $100 GC per Apple product. I agree with you, if I (or DD/SIL) already had an Ipad, I wouldn't be buying a new one. I am amazed at how people keep buying the latest model IPhone, Ipad, each year or two.

Target had a promotion where if you spend a minimum of $75.00 on black Friday, you would be issued a 20% off coupon good for one shopping trip from December 1-7. In looking through the terms and conditions, it did not appear there were many exclusions, which meant you could buy an unlimited number of Apple and Bose products next week at 20% off. I only mention this because normally it's so hard to get those products at discounts that a 20% discount is quite significant.

Looking at some internet sites, it was suggested that the coupon might restrict you from using them on Apple and Bose products. I don't see how they could since it was not mentioned on the promotion, but I'm curious to see if anyone successfully got the coupon and is able to get the discounts next week.

I did the Black Friday thing for the first time a few years ago, a couple of times. Did it mostly not to find cheap prices for anything but to have that very early morning experience--to see what it was like. I went from place to place, was among some crowds here and there, and occasionally stopped for something to eat or drink--all the while people-watching. It was enjoyable. But it's not something that I want to do every Black Friday.

+1

I go ever few years more to observe and be "entertained" than to buy. IN my experience it has evolved from somewhat of a "camaraderie" session among those getting up early to find a bargain to "every person for themselves" mob chaos.

I also enjoy checking eBay to see how quickly the drastically marked down electronics in the stores end up for sale there. :)

From our house on the hill, we overlook Wally World's parking lot. At times it looks like the trail of headlights at the end of Field of Dreams. They were parking across the street at the bank and the Knights of Columbus Hall parking lots. I, on the other hand, stayed as far away as I could.

DW and I decided to go to a few department stores tonight, to see their holiday decorations. We have 6 of them just down the street from us (Union Square in San Francisco), so why not. We won't have to deal with parking or long checkout lines since we don't plan on buying anything. I've heard Macy's has a nice holiday display. I looked for deals online yesterday and did not find anything worth buying.

denouement:

DW and I drove to WalMart this morning Sat. AM... Parking lot about 1/8 full. Only evidence of survival was in the form of employees cleaning up the devastation... Shelves very empty... big spaces. In the electronics department, the ONLY things left were 2 million colored phone covers, and almost as many $28 HDMI cords. Even the display computers were gone. Empty shelves and aisles filled with handtrucks filled with replenishment.
Had to have been a successful sale.

We drove around back, and saw 20 - 18 wheeler containers... waiting to be put instock. Reports of the demise of the big box store masy have been exagerrated. :cool:

Last edited:
Oh my, NO! Besides the crowds, it would be disrespectful. I believe Black Friday and Christmas shopping in general is why the Glow Cloud gave us the World Wide Web.

All hail the Glow Cloud!

We went out about noon to Kohls and then to Costco. Spent $56 at Kohls for supposedly $240 worth of merchandise. We bundled several items so DH spent $55 to get the $15 in Kohls cash. After the 50-60% off and my 15% off coupon and my $10 off coupon, I spent $1.11 for $25 worth of kitchen linens.

Spent about $80 at Costco. The 50" Samsung Smart TV wouldn't fit in the car so we saved about $700! :D

We took granddaughter to see Frozen and went to Target after the movie. She was having a sleepover at our house and her battery powered toothbrush had quit working. We bought her a new Hello Kitty toothbrush, a Hello Kitty diary and a box of pasta. So we did go shopping on Black Friday and had no problems whatsoever.

I did go to the Apple website and look long and hard at the Ipad Air, but decided to wait a little longer, perhaps a year or more. Since I am still working part-time, we do not travel a great deal. When I am home, I use my IMAC desktop computer, which I prefer. My DH has a Mac Pro laptop and an Iphone and I have an Ipod. I would really like to get the Ipad when we start traveling more and I decided to wait to see what improvements there would be next year. I have to admit that I am a little bit jealous of the folks who bought them. I wish that I did not think things through so much and that I was a little less frugal at times! Oh well, one of these days I will buy one hopefully.

We took granddaughter to see Frozen and went to Target after the movie. She was having a sleepover at our house and her battery powered toothbrush had quit working. We bought her a new Hello Kitty toothbrush, a Hello Kitty diary and a box of pasta. So we did go shopping on Black Friday and had no problems whatsoever.

I did go to the Apple website and look long and hard at the Ipad Air, but decided to wait a little longer, perhaps a year or more. Since I am still working part-time, we do not travel a great deal. When I am home, I use my IMAC desktop computer, which I prefer. My DH has a Mac Pro laptop and an Iphone and I have an Ipod. I would really like to get the Ipad when we start traveling more and I decided to wait to see what improvements there would be next year. I have to admit that I am a little bit jealous of the folks who bought them. I wish that I did not think things through so much and that I was a little less frugal at times! Oh well, one of these days I will buy one hopefully.

I am with you. I want an iPad but don't need it just yet so am waiting.

We made the TERRIBLE mistake of going to Home Depot yesterday because DH needed some plumbing parts/adapters. OMG!!!!!! Of course everyone was out getting their Xmas decorations!

At least grocery store was nice and empty :)

Went to Macy's, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, and Bloomingdale's this evening. Macy's was pretty busy but traffic was surprisingly light at the other three stores. We had fun just walking around and looking at the holiday displays (Macy's was best by far). We didn't buy anything.

Back
Top Bottom