Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I might order some stuff online. maybe GuitarCenter.
Never heard of Guitar Central, I must do a search.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
Never heard of Guitar Central, I must do a search.
Guitar Center. Awesome place but I need to stay away in order to protect my bank account!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #23
Administrator

I'll be home sleeping late and scarfing down Thanksgiving leftovers. I can't imagine the horror involved in going shopping that day.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I can't imagine the horror involved in going shopping that day.
Sorry Gum, couldn't resist. DH and I just recently watched Apocalypse Now again so it's fresh in my mind...

Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Our city is offering 50% discounts from 3 to 5AM for using its recreational facilities, which are really nice. It's the first time they've done this. Do other towns have such Black Friday offerings?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

no
No
NO

I am going to do some serious toy gathering this year with 2 of my lady friends. The toys will be for the Marines' Toys for Tots program.
I have a Legion Commander working on a letter authorizing me to seek donations at local stores. We will fan out on a weekday and hit every store we can to see if the manager will donate just 1 toy.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not a chance. I don't like shopping on a normal day much less an insane day like Black Friday.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeasterday

Guitar Center. Awesome place but I need to stay away in order to protect my bank account!
GAS - guitar acquisition syndrome

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
My SO works for a retail chain. They are opening their stores at 11pm on Thanksgiving and will remain open all night.

Complete nuttiness
Actually where I live Wal-Mart is open all day Thursday, Christmas being the only day they close, they will just have their specials at the various times as they specify.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #30

No, no, a thousand times no!

I haven't gone shopping on black Friday for over 20 years. Amazon is much better.

And we don't do much shopping anyway so we'd just be in the way of the ones who do. The others can deal with the stampedes.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Other than grocery shopping, which I always enjoy......*

I hate shopping. I can barely drag myself to the mall on a slow day (even though there are some things I really need to buy) let alone when it's crowded. I absolutely abhor crowded malls or any crowded shopping situation.

I shop on-line as much as I can. But sometimes you have to try things on, look at things in person.

*I should qualify that I enjoy grocery shopping when I can go to stores that have a decent selection and quality. But I have visited towns where grocery stores had a very limited and marginal selection and that was always depressing! Decent grocery stores is a go/nogo issue for me in terms of where I live!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
For some of the people who say they can get a deal like the early bird.... I would disagree...

The couple of times we went we got some high end electronic stuff for $200 less than the next best price we could find... they only sold 10 of them per store and none online...

I am willing to wait in line to save $200... not so much for a few dollars...
And you believe there's one day every year where merchants offer the best possible deals, that they won't duplicate or even beat at any other time...I would disagree...

I'd like to see an actual bonafide Black Friday deal that can't be duplicated elsewhere on another day.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #33

Absolutely not.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
no
No
NO

I am going to do some serious toy gathering this year with 2 of my lady friends. The toys will be for the Marines' Toys for Tots program.
I have a Legion Commander working on a letter authorizing me to seek donations at local stores. We will fan out on a weekday and hit every store we can to see if the manager will donate just 1 toy.
My prediction: you will be a top producer in this charity drive and will get lots of donations for the kids
Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
And you believe there's one day every year where merchants offer the best possible deals, that they won't duplicate or even beat at any other time...I would disagree...

I'd like to see an actual bonafide Black Friday deal that can't be duplicated elsewhere on another day.

Well, we bought a Sony Viao computer that was $200 less than any other place that I looked... and I never saw that price again....

Sure, it COULD be duplicated on another day, but it was not.... it was a loss leader and we took it.... they only had 10 at our store and I had heard some stores only had 2....

Now, the $50 we saved on buying a video camera was not worth the trouble... so that was the last time we waited to buy something on Black Friday....

I will buy things that are not limited in numbers such as the computer.... but I will wait until later in the day to go get the deal...
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

They ran an article in the WSJ last month on this exact topic:

Why Black Friday Isn't the Best Day to Shop for Price Deals - WSJ.com
Old 11-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Not a chance. I don't like shopping on a normal day much less an insane day like Black Friday.
+1 (hey, I'm a guy - I rarely/never shop, sale or not )...
Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Ahhhhhh......... Now I get it. I should start shopping at 8:30 PM on Thanksgiving Day because the more you spend the more you save.

If I had known this truth earlier I could have FIRE'd years ago!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #39

I went to the local Wally World on Black Friday a bunch of years back. Got there about 3 PM, found 10 pairs of Wrangler jeans with a free t'shirt $9 each. I wear out about 2 pairs a year haven't unwrapped the tee's yet still have 2 unworn pairs of jeans. I wonder if they will be on sale again, Hummmm.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #40

I shop a lot online. I even buy medical supplies from amazon.com.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote