Are You Kinda Famous Or Know Someone Who Is

HFWR said:
Distant cousin to John Mellencamp. Not sure I ever met the guy , even though I hung out with a few musicians from Seymour, IN, including Larry Crane, guitarist for Mellencamp and for John Prine, among others...

From the TMI dept, Mellencamp's song "Minutes to Memories" has a line about "another hot one out on Highway 11", the location of my first piece sexual encounter with another person...

Song wasn't about me, but could've been about her... :LOL:

oh yeah, my 3rd grade teacher was married to his drummer

My brushes with fame are more the 6 degrees of separation variety...

The guy who lives across the street is a former major league baseball player and former hitting coach of the Philadelphia Phillies. But I've never done more than wave greetings at him.

My sister-in-law went on a date with Jake Plummer (QB of Denver) once in college. He was apparently not a good date.

My wife went to high school with The Rock. He was a year or two ahead of her and she never really interacted with him.

My wife's great-grandfather was one of the primary generals in WWII. I never met him, though.

Pretty lame list. ;)

I've almost been run down by Joe P@terno's beamer while crossing the street. Twice.

yelnad said:
I've almost been run down by Joe P@terno's beamer while crossing the street. Twice.

Which means you've probably been cussed out by Joe Paterno. Twice. :D

REWahoo! said:
JoePa's still driving?! :eek:

I think he just feels along the curb with his tire for the two blocks to his rather nondescript house. I think JoePa lives below his means.

well we were in the march issue of money magazine and i was recently quoted in the wall street journal.........

I've met several famous people but, I really didn't care and most seemed normal.

One thing to remember is the addage "Treat princes like paupers and paupers like kings." It works.

Bryant Gumble - played cards with him in early 80s - I lost $100 - I was making about 25K at the time.
Tom Schnider - the talk show host in the 70s host of the Tommorrow Show
Niel Pert - the drummer for Rush in the 80s
Prince Albert of Monoco - 80s only said hello
John Belushi in the early 80s in the 21 club - I was told I spoke with him for awhile but I was too drunk to remember it - someone told me about it.
Vin Scully the announcer - work - nice guy
Bob Coastas the announcer - work - nice guy
Lee Trevino - the announcer - work - nice guy
Frank Shorter - the runner - work
I'm sure there were others but, you know they are just like us.

As a matter of fact I've heard more interesting life stories from "ordanary" people.

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
2Cor521 quoth thusly:
First guess, Linus Pauling.

Nope, but wikipedia says you only have three (really two) more guesses.

2Cor521

SecondCor521 said:

2Cor521

A guy, so not Curie.  This leaves John Bardeen and Frederick Sanger.  Bardeen, like Pauling,  is buried in a cemetary.  I'd go for Sanger, but isn't he alive?

SecondCor521 said:

2Cor521
John Bardeen

Physics [1956]: Invention of Transistor
Physics [1972]: Theory of Superconductivity

Bardeen was also an important advisor to Xerox Corporation. Though quiet by nature, he took the uncharacteristic step of urging Xerox executives to keep their California research center, Xerox PARC, afloat when the parent company was suspicious that its research center would amount to little.

Thanks John!

Martha said:
A guy, so not Curie.  This leaves John Bardeen and Frederick Sanger.  Bardeen, like Pauling,  is buried in a cemetary.  I'd go for Sanger, but isn't he alive?
I didn't interpret "burried in the sand" to mean he was dead, but that he was playing on the beach.

I met John Bardeen once in a bowling alley. He was a pretty playful and nice guy. I could see him letting someone bury him in the sand. :) :D :D

Huh . . . maybe I should have included this meeting in the "are you famous" thread. :D

IntoTheMystic said:
John Bardeen

Physics [1956]: Invention of Transistor
Physics [1972]: Theory of Superconductivity

Yup. To clarify for Martha, I met him in 1987. My second cousin and I were at a posh resort, and decided we wanted to bury someone in the sand -- the resort had a bunch of pools, one of which had an artificial beach. So we went up to this old guy sitting on the sandy fake beach and asked if we could bury him in the sand. He said sure. So as we were burying him in the sand we were chatting with him and eventually found out who he was. *Really* nice guy. Sorry to see that he passed away in 1991.

2Cor521

Man, talk about reading a post wrong. I wondered why you would put a dead guy in the sand. :-[

I have been on gigs in backing bands/orchestras for:Mel Torme, Lyle Lovett, Joni Mitchell, Amy Grant, Barry Manilow, Donny Osmond;

pit orchestras for shows with:Robert Urich, Alan Thicke, Keith Carradine, Haley Mills, Marilou Henner, Carol Kane ( my tuba playing friend got his ass grabbed by Carol Channing)

symphonic concerts with Yo-Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, Jessye Norman

On my last show, Julie Andrews came down to meet and talk with the band and I was on break and missed it!#@!

In general the Hollywood headliners will meet the band, and then we just leave them be, but the recording artists will generally be quite friendly and interact with the local musicians.

Ran into Andy Williams coming out of the bathroom in Branson, MO and sat next to Yakov Smirnoff at same restaurant. Had a nice chat with Rusty Wallace at Jim Stafford's theater in Branson. (althought this Rusty Wallace was a school teacher in Branson).

I'm descended on my mother's side from Portuguese nobility and related to John de Brito http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintj56.htm

It's really not a big deal - it's just portuguese nobility and he is a lesser known saint, I mean there are 5,161 of them, so its not that special, but still I got that going for me....:angel: :D

Laurence said:
Oh, decended from a Colonel in George Washington's army, but hey, who isn't?

OK, you started it....

I'm related to one of the staff members of the US Army Infantry Training School shown in this picture. I'll give you the names of three of them:

Front row - second from left, Joseph W. Stillwell; center, George C. Marshall
Back row - second from left, Omar N. Bradley

Attachments

• US Army Infantry Training School.jpg
    US Army Infantry Training School.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 72
  • US Army Infantry Training School.jpg_thumb
    25.5 KB · Views: 0
Hey REW,

Isn't that John Stewart of "The Daily Show" on front row at the right?

Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom