Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

I was Strom Thurmond's nurse. I swear that he wasn't going to pass away on my watch. He didn't - and survived for several years afterwards. (I may have broke a HIPPA rule, but who cares?)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Drew Carey, Mick Foley (WWE Wrestler), Warrick Dunn (Buc's RB), and that Dave Attell (Comedy Channel) visited my ward in Afghanistan. I was in charge so I talked a lot to each of them and showed them around. Was kind of nervous w/ Drew Carey, for some reason.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

I've played a round of golf w/ Jerry Seaman (former NFL ref and head of refs for quite awhile) - I took $1 from him on a bet. Also played w/ Beasley Reece, ex-DB for the Bucs, and other NFL teams. Also in our group was a NBC broadcaster for boxing. Its funny when I see him on the TV 15 yrs later and think - "Hey, I played golf w/ that dude!"
Old 10-02-2008, 12:45 PM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I went to get my occasional hair cut/financial consult but the lady who cuts my hair wasn't interested in the the market. She just wanted to talk about the customer who came in yesterday, Eddie Fisher. She must be in her 20s, from China, and didn't know who he was but learned very quickly. She kept saying, "he's so old! He's been married five times...." He just turned 80. I asked if he lives in one of those two million dollar condos, she thought, no, he owns the building. I get my hair cut at the same place as Eddie Fisher; he must be LBYMing.
Oh Mein Papa, to me he was so wonderful...

Boy, that must have been the last time any American voiced that sentiment, especially in song.

Ha
Old 10-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Former ABC Evening News Elizabeth Vargas went to my high school and was a classmate for one course. She was a hottie back then - and in a way still is.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Once saw Don Meredith at the DFW airport. I was about 12 yrs old back then.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My daughter used to study with Joe Montana's daughter occasionally when they were in high school together.
My father designed a transmission for one of Dan Gurney's Indy cars.
My inlaws have a summer cabin next to the cabin of the Oscar-winning director of LA Confidential
My son is in the 8th grade class of Brad Muster's (NFL) son
I played baseball in high school against Clint Howard (Gentle Ben) and his brother Ron (Opie) came to watch the game. People used to tell me all the time that I looked like Ron Howard (actually they said I looked like Richie Cunningham) but no one confused us at that baseball game.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

I once saw Carlos Santana buying an Ipod at the Apple Store in Columbus, Ohio. That's it.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Oh Mein Papa, to me he was so wonderful...

Boy, that must have been the last time any American voiced that sentiment, especially in song.

Ha
Ha, you are too much of a realist.

One summer I worked in the kitchen of a Playboy Club/Resort with a "Bunny of Akron." Playboy was careful to fuzz up their employee's locations, she never worked in Ohio. Bunny jobs were so glamorous I remember them doing menial tasks like preparing the butter dishes.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #130
Moderator Emeritus

I am not famous (though I am a published author) and I don't know anyone who is.

But I have been within a few yards of some famous people:
Hugh Grant and Elizabeth Hurley (Cannes festival)
Sofia Lauren (Cannes festival)
President Nicolas Sarkozy (actually met him in the 1990's when he was still a mayor).
Gov. Jim Hunt of NC (saw him at the airport in Atlanta, he was on my flight. That was right after 9/11 when they were still conducting random security searches at the gate and he was one of the people chosen to be screened).
Charlie Weis
Oh, and Bill Clinton's motorcade almost ran me over while he was in Europe for a G-8 meeting.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #131
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw Jay Cutler walking through the San Diego airport once. The man's forearms were larger than my head.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #132

Funny that there are no famous people here. Just people who met them.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #133
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Hey! I'm kinda famous...in my own mind.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #134
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hey! I'm kinda famous...in my own mind.
No argument here........

Like Dirty Harry used to tell his boss: "You're a legend in your own mind".........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I am not famous (though I am a published author) and I don't know anyone who is.
Ditto... and aside from one person asking for a signed copy of a book, it hasn't gotten me anything. I did have a beer with Weird Al and I sat next to some athlete at one of the local restaurants (Kevin Garnett? one of the Wolves that traded recently... he was tall and bald). Oh, and one of the Viking wide receivers lives in our old neighborhood. I only met him once but I used to talk to his cousin all of the time.

But, those are all more "hey, I met someone that people know" moments than "hey, I personally know x"
Old 10-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #136
Dryer sheet aficionado

NFL coach Norm Van Brocklin was a good friend after he retired to a farm next to mine in Georgia.His funeral at his farm was a wild event.I'd never been to one with an open bar and New Orleans Jazz Band.

Heavy Metal Mama Lita Ford used to come over and our kids played together. Stage persona sure can be different than in person. She was a nice lady, but moved off to Turks and Caicos.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #137

Quote:
Funny that there are no famous people here.
Somebody famous probably wouldn't admit it to the forum.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
"I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal."
--Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

Old 10-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #139
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife and I had lunch with Supreme Court justice Clarence Thomas and his wife. We were all at a hole-in-the-wall El Salvadoran taco place in Alexandria, VA. We didn't talk much since we were at separate tables on opposite corners of the restaurant.

OK, we didn't talk at all - we respected his privacy.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #140
Moderator Emeritus

I once turned down a job working for Melvin Belli who was infamous for firing people but later worked with a team that worked on one of his projects. I spoke with him occasionally on the phone, he had the most brilliant, well organized mind I have ever met. A regular at the coffee shop brought up her brief stink working for him as a housekeeper on his boat during one of his divorces. We got to laughing that almost anyone who lived here during the ‘80s or early ‘90s worked for Belli at one time or another, albeit briefly.

SO and I laugh that to have ever heard of Belli is “a West Coast bias,” so here’s what Wiki has to say about him:

Melvin Belli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia