Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

here are a few more....

Famous person/people you have met

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

His full name was Melvin Mouron Belli? Whaddya bet his parents were the defendants in his first lawsuit...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Funny that there are no famous people here. Just people who met them.
Boy oh boy, wait'll Greaney, Bob Clyatt, Jeff Yeager, and the Kaderlis read that post. I think notorioused author Rob Bennett might pick a nit with that statement too.

Usually in a military career, being famous is a bad thing. But what amazes me today is that the people I used to go on liberty with when we were young & stupid, the ones who picked fights in bars and then puked on our shoes, are now starting to run the military...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #144
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Boy oh boy, wait'll Greaney, Bob Clyatt, Jeff Yeager, and the Kaderlis read that post. I think notorioused author Rob Bennett might pick a nit with that statement too.
-
I've been known to respond to posts by three of the above. Why, even more impressive, a yet (arguably) more famous forum member pounced on me for one of those responses. Hey, I was a newbie.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Rob Bennett
Uh oh, you've spoken its name. Now you'll be appearing in the hocoblob and I'll probably have to revise the org chart.

I've met tons of famous people. Most memorable was running into Robin Williams on the street in NY outside the Javits Center. He caught me staring and ran up to me and shook my hand. I was wearing one of those stupid convention badges with my name on it and he said "It IS you! I cant believe it!!" and went on about it for a few seconds before running off.

I met Steve Young at the San Jose Jet Center when he was playing for the 49ers. He was a really nice guy.

Oh, and it's going to kill you guys but I went on a date with Becky Quick.

She wasnt famous then though...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #146
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
Somebody famous probably wouldn't admit it to the forum.
And if they did... who would believe them anyway?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #147
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not famous but we do have a famous European writer in the family apparently who is my mom's 2nd cousin...never met him.

DH's family is pretty famous in American history I guess... DH is a direct descendent of Paul Revere (great great great great great great grandson). Also, according to the research that we did, Abraham Lincoln is also in the family....honest Abe was DH's great grandfather's 11th cousin (hope that makes sense ).

And no, no sterling silver was passed down in the family .
Old 10-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, I forgot. The guy who wallpapered our old house, his brother wrote Broken Trail, that Robert Duvall western.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #149
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All the famous people I know are or were on my megacorp's board of directors...If I listed them, it would be pretty obvious who "Rambler" is... and big brother might come knocking at my door. (Of course, if big brother came knocking and was carrying a golden parachute, I would take it...).

R
Old 10-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

I'll repost my shameless name dropping post from a couple of years ago.

Being pretty early in the computer field, and spending much of my career about 4 cubicles from Intel CEO Andy Grove, I meet a ton of technology company founders and/or CEOs. I guess it is relevant to this forum cause all of this guys and gals were worth 100 million+ and many quite a bit more and they could all retire early but didn't!. Not sure if they are all famous but the do have Wikipedia entries

Apple: Steve Wozniac nice guy my buddy use to play a card game with him and his son, Steve Jobs arrogant A*hole, Andy Hertzfeld designer of the Mac software, knew him at college
Adobe: John Warnock, Cofounder. Meet he and his family touring the Kremlin after a Russian Computer conferences
Borland Software: Philippe Kahn, founder hung out with him while he gave away money to kids on the street in Moscow at the same Russian conference
Compaq Computers: Rod Canion founder, CEO
Dell Computers: Micheal Dell founder
Gateway Computers: Ted Waite founder
Google: Eric Schmidt, CEO. He was probably the best teaching assistant I had in college, and meet him later at Intel meeting I was impressed he still remembered me 15 years latter
IBM: Lou Gerstner, CEO
Intel: Andy Grove CEO, Gordon Moore co-founder postulated Moore's law, Bob Noyce co-founder, co-inventor of the integrated circuit, Tedd Hoff, inventor of the microprocessor
Lotus Computer: Mitch Kapor, founder, Jim Manzi CEO and pretty much all of the pioneer of spreadsheet software from my days of writing spreadsheets
Microsoft Corp: Bill Gates, and a number of other execs there
Sun Microsystems: Bill Joy co-founder, another teaching assistant at college
Trilogy Computer, Amdahl Computers: Gene Amdahl founder, knew his wife the curator of the Boston Computer Museum quite well
Venture Capitalists
Arthur Rock: Started venture capital in Silicon Valley: Investor behind Apple, Intel, showed him how to surf the web.
Ben Rosen: investor behind Compaq, Lotus got bumped to 1st class and sat next to him and talked the whole time.
Ann Windbald: dated Bill Gates meet her a couple of times and her husband in Hawaii

Others:
Jodi Ann Paterson: Playmate of the Year 1999: Guess what she really is stunningly gorgeous with clothes on and no airbrushing
Huey Lewis. singer actor, meet him at the fabulous cafeteria at Lucas's Skywalker Ranch
Glenn Seaborg, Nobel laureate: Chemistry teacher
Allan Kellog: Medal of Honor Recipient, worked on Senator McCain campaign with him
Chuck Yeager: First man to fly faster than the speed of sound
Kelly Johnson: famous aircraft designer designed the U2, SR71 and F104
Kevin Pollak: Comedian, Actor (a Few Good Men, Wedding Planner, Avalon) he starred in a video I was the executive producer of, very funny guy.
Dick Cole: Co-Pilot for Jimmy Doolittle in the famous Doolittle raid over Tokyo. At 92 years young he was an absolute delight and filled with great stories.

However, my all time best celebrity week was back in 1989. It started with me going to Penthouse founder Bob Guicionne's apartment building in Central Park for advertisers in his Computer magazine. Unfortunately for us computer nerds, not only were the fabulous pictures of Madonna, clothed paintings of the religious icon, and not the singer like we hoped, but the only Penthouse Pet present was pushing 50... Oh well a spectacular place.

I then flew back to California. A couple of days latter, came back from lunch, and the admins in the office were all excited, because Marlon Brando had called me. I very nonchalantly told them "oh yes I was expecting his call". A few minutes latter his office called and I spent a 1/2 hour talking to the Godfather about using computers to generate extras for epic western he was thinking about producing. I told him that in about 5 years he could do what he wanted. Yes he sounds just like the Godfather on the phone.

Strangely enough 15 years before my sister and her husband met Marlon in bar when they lived in Tahiti, he owned an island there, and my dad who was a pharmaceutical rep calling on Beverly Hills doctors meet him going in a doctors office, so I was the third person in my family to met the late Marlon Brando

That Friday night, I went to a rave where I met Dr. Timothy Leary the Harvard professor turned LSD advocate. I am not sure if was high or the drugs had fried his brain, but he was in bad shape. Between the Russian computer conference, making a movie, and a bunch of celebrities sighting 1989 was heck of a lot of fun, I remember thinking Intel didn't even have to pay me.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

you slaughtered Ann's name on both threads.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:33 AM   #152
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
Not famous but we do have a famous European writer in the family apparently who is my mom's 2nd cousin...never met him.

DH's family is pretty famous in American history I guess... DH is a direct descendent of Paul Revere (great great great great great great grandson). Also, according to the research that we did, Abraham Lincoln is also in the family....honest Abe was DH's great grandfather's 11th cousin (hope that makes sense ).

And no, no sterling silver was passed down in the family .
Going this route. My wife's aunt is Mary Queen of Scots. Of course there should be a few greats in front of aunt. That, of course, would put King James I of England as her cousin. He's the one who ordered the King James version of the Bible be written. My half siblings are descendants of John Adams. And I am somehow descended from William Wallace.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Um...i hold a US Patent. does that count?

oh, and a distant ancestor composed a cute little song in 1892...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_Bell
Old 10-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #154
Moderator Emeritus

I have distant relatives who were hanged for stealing horses in the late 1800s. No one descended from them. Top that! So there!
Old 10-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #155
Dryer sheet wannabe

I live next door to Ozzie Canseco, the twin brother of Jose Canseco. He wasn't even half the professional baseball player that Jose was.

I know Davin Joseph pretty well, an offensive linemen for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He interned with my company for a few months about 3 yeras ago. He still keeps in contact occasionally to say hello.

I've played poker with Vernon Carey before, a Miami Dolphins offensive lineman.

Charles Johnson (ex-catcher for the Marlins and Orioles) used to live across the street from a good friend of mine.

I've hung out with Joe Pesci's niece.

My brother-in-law got into some words with Randy McMichael, current tight end for the St. Louis Rams.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Oh Mein Papa, to me he was so wonderful...

Boy, that must have been the last time any American voiced that sentiment, especially in song.

Ha
Here's a good one, not that old (70's)...

Say It In Private

(see link for full lyrics)
Quote:

My Old Man
by Steve Goodman

I miss my old man tonight
And I wish he was here with me
With his corny jokes and his cheap cigars
He could look you in the eye and sell you a car.
That's not an easy thing to do,
But no one ever knew a more charming creature
On this earth than my old man.

He was a pilot in the big war...

And after they dropped the bomb
He came home and married mom
And not long after that
He was my old man.

I miss my old man tonight
And I can almost see his face
He was always trying to watch his weight
And his heart only made it to fifty-eight.
For the first time since he died
Late last night I cried.
I wondered when I was gonna do that
For my old man.

-ERD50
Old 10-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #157
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
if that's the case, then my wife is famous. She is listed as inventor on 30+ US patents plus she authored one book and many research papers... But unless you work in her field, it's unlikely you would recognize her name.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #158
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Bzzzt sorry
Old 10-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
SO and I laugh that to have ever heard of Belli is “a West Coast bias,” so here’s what Wiki has to say about him:

Melvin Belli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I tried to get Belli to take a defamation case for me. He didn't think it was good enough; he referred me.

Ha
Old 10-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #160
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I tried to get Belli to take a defamation case for me. He didn't think it was good enough; he referred me.

Ha
Not surprising: "...in order for defamation of character to occur, the alleged victim has to have character to defame in the first place."

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote