Are You Kinda Famous Or Know Someone Who Is

My daughter used to study with Joe Montana's daughter occasionally when they were in high school together.
My father designed a transmission for one of Dan Gurney's Indy cars.
My inlaws have a summer cabin next to the cabin of the Oscar-winning director of LA Confidential
My son is in the 8th grade class of Brad Muster's (NFL) son
I played baseball in high school against Clint Howard (Gentle Ben) and his brother Ron (Opie) came to watch the game. People used to tell me all the time that I looked like Ron Howard (actually they said I looked like Richie Cunningham) but no one confused us at that baseball game.

I once saw Carlos Santana buying an Ipod at the Apple Store in Columbus, Ohio. That's it.

Oh Mein Papa, to me he was so wonderful...

Boy, that must have been the last time any American voiced that sentiment, especially in song.

Ha

Ha, you are too much of a realist.;)

One summer I worked in the kitchen of a Playboy Club/Resort with a "Bunny of Akron." Playboy was careful to fuzz up their employee's locations, she never worked in Ohio. Bunny jobs were so glamorous I remember them doing menial tasks like preparing the butter dishes.

I am not famous (though I am a published author) and I don't know anyone who is.

But I have been within a few yards of some famous people:
Hugh Grant and Elizabeth Hurley (Cannes festival)
Sofia Lauren (Cannes festival)
President Nicolas Sarkozy (actually met him in the 1990's when he was still a mayor).
Gov. Jim Hunt of NC (saw him at the airport in Atlanta, he was on my flight. That was right after 9/11 when they were still conducting random security searches at the gate and he was one of the people chosen to be screened).
Charlie Weis
Oh, and Bill Clinton's motorcade almost ran me over while he was in Europe for a G-8 meeting.

I saw Jay Cutler walking through the San Diego airport once. The man's forearms were larger than my head.

Funny that there are no famous people here. Just people who met them.

Hey! I'm kinda famous...in my own mind. :)

No argument here........:D

Like Dirty Harry used to tell his boss: "You're a legend in your own mind".........:D

I am not famous (though I am a published author) and I don't know anyone who is.

Ditto... and aside from one person asking for a signed copy of a book, it hasn't gotten me anything. I did have a beer with Weird Al and I sat next to some athlete at one of the local restaurants (Kevin Garnett? one of the Wolves that traded recently... he was tall and bald). Oh, and one of the Viking wide receivers lives in our old neighborhood. I only met him once but I used to talk to his cousin all of the time.

But, those are all more "hey, I met someone that people know" moments than "hey, I personally know x"

NFL coach Norm Van Brocklin was a good friend after he retired to a farm next to mine in Georgia.His funeral at his farm was a wild event.I'd never been to one with an open bar and New Orleans Jazz Band.:eek:

Heavy Metal Mama Lita Ford used to come over and our kids played together. Stage persona sure can be different than in person. She was a nice lady, but moved off to Turks and Caicos.

"I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal."
--Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

My wife and I had lunch with Supreme Court justice Clarence Thomas and his wife. We were all at a hole-in-the-wall El Salvadoran taco place in Alexandria, VA. We didn't talk much since we were at separate tables on opposite corners of the restaurant.

OK, we didn't talk at all - we respected his privacy.

Mike D.

I once turned down a job working for Melvin Belli who was infamous for firing people but later worked with a team that worked on one of his projects. I spoke with him occasionally on the phone, he had the most brilliant, well organized mind I have ever met. A regular at the coffee shop brought up her brief stink working for him as a housekeeper on his boat during one of his divorces. We got to laughing that almost anyone who lived here during the ‘80s or early ‘90s worked for Belli at one time or another, albeit briefly.

SO and I laugh that to have ever heard of Belli is “a West Coast bias,” so here’s what Wiki has to say about him:

Melvin Belli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Boy oh boy, wait'll Greaney, Bob Clyatt, Jeff Yeager, and the Kaderlis read that post. I think not[-]orious[/-]ed author Rob Bennett might pick a nit with that statement too.

Usually in a military career, being famous is a bad thing. But what amazes me today is that the people I used to go on liberty with when we were young & stupid, the ones who picked fights in bars and then puked on our shoes, are now starting to run the military...

Boy oh boy, wait'll Greaney, Bob Clyatt, Jeff Yeager, and the Kaderlis read that post. I think not[-]orious[/-]ed author Rob Bennett might pick a nit with that statement too.
-
I've been known to respond to posts by three of the above. Why, even more impressive, a yet (arguably) more famous forum member pounced on me for one of those responses. Hey, I was a newbie.

Rob Bennett

Uh oh, you've spoken its name. Now you'll be appearing in the hocoblob and I'll probably have to revise the org chart.

I've met tons of famous people. Most memorable was running into Robin Williams on the street in NY outside the Javits Center. He caught me staring and ran up to me and shook my hand. I was wearing one of those stupid convention badges with my name on it and he said "It IS you! I cant believe it!!" and went on about it for a few seconds before running off.

I met Steve Young at the San Jose Jet Center when he was playing for the 49ers. He was a really nice guy.

Oh, and it's going to kill you guys but I went on a date with Becky Quick. >:D

She wasnt famous then though...

Not famous but we do have a famous European writer in the family apparently who is my mom's 2nd cousin...never met him.

DH's family is pretty famous in American history I guess... DH is a direct descendent of Paul Revere (great great great great great great grandson). Also, according to the research that we did, Abraham Lincoln is also in the family....honest Abe was DH's great grandfather's 11th cousin (hope that makes sense :p ).

And no, no sterling silver was passed down in the family :rant:.

Oh yeah, I forgot. The guy who wallpapered our old house, his brother wrote Broken Trail, that Robert Duvall western. :cool:

All the famous people I know are or were on my megacorp's board of directors...If I listed them, it would be pretty obvious who "Rambler" is... and big brother might come knocking at my door. (Of course, if big brother came knocking and was carrying a golden parachute, I would take it...:D).

R

I'll repost my shameless name dropping post from a couple of years ago.

Being pretty early in the computer field, and spending much of my career about 4 cubicles from Intel CEO Andy Grove, I meet a ton of technology company founders and/or CEOs. I guess it is relevant to this forum cause all of this guys and gals were worth 100 million+ and many quite a bit more and they could all retire early but didn't!. Not sure if they are all famous but the do have Wikipedia entries

Apple: Steve Wozniac nice guy my buddy use to play a card game with him and his son, Steve Jobs arrogant A*hole, Andy Hertzfeld designer of the Mac software, knew him at college
Adobe: John Warnock, Cofounder. Meet he and his family touring the Kremlin after a Russian Computer conferences
Borland Software: Philippe Kahn, founder hung out with him while he gave away money to kids on the street in Moscow at the same Russian conference
Compaq Computers: Rod Canion founder, CEO
Dell Computers: Micheal Dell founder
Gateway Computers: Ted Waite founder
Google: Eric Schmidt, CEO. He was probably the best teaching assistant I had in college, and meet him later at Intel meeting I was impressed he still remembered me 15 years latter
IBM: Lou Gerstner, CEO
Intel: Andy Grove CEO, Gordon Moore co-founder postulated Moore's law, Bob Noyce co-founder, co-inventor of the integrated circuit, Tedd Hoff, inventor of the microprocessor
Lotus Computer: Mitch Kapor, founder, Jim Manzi CEO and pretty much all of the pioneer of spreadsheet software from my days of writing spreadsheets
Microsoft Corp: Bill Gates, and a number of other execs there
Sun Microsystems: Bill Joy co-founder, another teaching assistant at college
Trilogy Computer, Amdahl Computers: Gene Amdahl founder, knew his wife the curator of the Boston Computer Museum quite well
Venture Capitalists
Arthur Rock: Started venture capital in Silicon Valley: Investor behind Apple, Intel, showed him how to surf the web.
Ben Rosen: investor behind Compaq, Lotus got bumped to 1st class and sat next to him and talked the whole time.
Ann Windbald: dated Bill Gates meet her a couple of times and her husband in Hawaii

Others:
Jodi Ann Paterson: Playmate of the Year 1999: Guess what she really is stunningly gorgeous with clothes on and no airbrushing
Huey Lewis. singer actor, meet him at the fabulous cafeteria at Lucas's Skywalker Ranch
Glenn Seaborg, Nobel laureate: Chemistry teacher
Allan Kellog: Medal of Honor Recipient, worked on Senator McCain campaign with him
Chuck Yeager: First man to fly faster than the speed of sound
Kelly Johnson: famous aircraft designer designed the U2, SR71 and F104
Kevin Pollak: Comedian, Actor (a Few Good Men, Wedding Planner, Avalon) he starred in a video I was the executive producer of, very funny guy.
Dick Cole: Co-Pilot for Jimmy Doolittle in the famous Doolittle raid over Tokyo. At 92 years young he was an absolute delight and filled with great stories.

However, my all time best celebrity week was back in 1989. It started with me going to Penthouse founder Bob Guicionne's apartment building in Central Park for advertisers in his Computer magazine. Unfortunately for us computer nerds, not only were the fabulous pictures of Madonna, clothed paintings of the religious icon, and not the singer like we hoped, but the only Penthouse Pet present was pushing 50... Oh well a spectacular place.

I then flew back to California. A couple of days latter, came back from lunch, and the admins in the office were all excited, because Marlon Brando had called me. I very nonchalantly told them "oh yes I was expecting his call". A few minutes latter his office called and I spent a 1/2 hour talking to the Godfather about using computers to generate extras for epic western he was thinking about producing. I told him that in about 5 years he could do what he wanted. Yes he sounds just like the Godfather on the phone.

Strangely enough 15 years before my sister and her husband met Marlon in bar when they lived in Tahiti, he owned an island there, and my dad who was a pharmaceutical rep calling on Beverly Hills doctors meet him going in a doctors office, so I was the third person in my family to met the late Marlon Brando

That Friday night, I went to a rave where I met Dr. Timothy Leary the Harvard professor turned LSD advocate. I am not sure if was high or the drugs had fried his brain, but he was in bad shape. Between the Russian computer conference, making a movie, and a bunch of celebrities sighting 1989 was heck of a lot of fun, I remember thinking Intel didn't even have to pay me.

Back
Top Bottom