Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
robnplunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,123
I have my favorite seat in my megacorp shuttle bus to work. Most everyone has. But no one minds when another person take his favorite seat. I say the person who thinks the seat (or parking spot) belongs to him has a loose screw and not the others. First come, first serve.
__________________

__________________
Pura Vida
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
hakuna matata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Small town outside of Seattle
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I have my favorite seat in my megacorp shuttle bus to work. Most everyone has. But no one minds when another person take his favorite seat. I say the person who thinks the seat (or parking spot) belongs to him has a loose screw and not the others. First come, first serve.
I would agree, however I have seen folks on the ferry up here get a bit violent and upset over it. Those who get upset by it or irritated by it--I was just wondering why? One guy I recall almost came to blows with another guy over 'his spot'.

I personally think it relates to how the rest of your day goes. You know, like when you wake up, and the first thing you do is drop your coffee mug? And then the rest of your day goes to sh*t I think those folks that get upset are anticipating the rest of their day is just going to get worse. Or alternatively maybe they have a screw loose.

I realize most people are somewhat routine oriented--I was more curious as to how people react when that routine was interrupted. I think they are probably wound a bit tighter than I am as I just roll with it. My older brother is like that, a bit wound too tight. I have seen him get upset over things that I wouldn't even register, let alone get upset by. I like my approach and my blood pressure better!
__________________

__________________
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,872
Quite a lot of people are just spoiled brats competitive, who have to have their own way in the smallest things. Depending on personality (bold or cautious), they might get red-faced and angry, or they might leave notes on people's windshields. I think "screw loose" applies when people pull out weapons or fists.

The rest is probably, as you surmise, the human reaction to a day gone suddenly pear-shaped. Or, people's feet or backs or relationships might be hurting them and making them crabby. I try to keep that in mind so I won't get so annoyed at them (storing up karma for when my scoliosis acts up and makes me crabby).

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
I would agree, however I have seen folks on the ferry up here get a bit violent and upset over it. Those who get upset by it or irritated by it--I was just wondering why? One guy I recall almost came to blows with another guy over 'his spot'.

I personally think it relates to how the rest of your day goes. You know, like when you wake up, and the first thing you do is drop your coffee mug? And then the rest of your day goes to sh*t I think those folks that get upset are anticipating the rest of their day is just going to get worse. Or alternatively maybe they have a screw loose.

I realize most people are somewhat routine oriented--I was more curious as to how people react when that routine was interrupted. I think they are probably wound a bit tighter than I am as I just roll with it. My older brother is like that, a bit wound too tight. I have seen him get upset over things that I wouldn't even register, let alone get upset by. I like my approach and my blood pressure better!
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
robnplunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I think "screw loose" applies when people pull out weapons or fists.
Nah. Those guys' screws are "missing," not just loose.
__________________
Pura Vida
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,283
I like to park far away from the cars in a parking lot, to avoid the all-too-common door dent, and the rolling shopping carts. But lately I see some other folks have also started parking in "my spots". Getting harder and harder to find that "safe" spot.
__________________
John Galt III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,872
John, that's not them stealing, that's just you, being a trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I like to park far away from the cars in a parking lot, to avoid the all-too-common door dent, and the rolling shopping carts. But lately I see some other folks have also started parking in "my spots".
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,862
I'm routine oriented, though I consider most of it just being efficient! I definitely have a set way of loading the dishwasher, for example, and will fix any "errors" anyone else makes when they load it. There's an obvious pattern to the load. How hard can it be to recognize that and follow it? The way I do it minimizes the loading and unloading time, though that part is not necessarily self evident. Just subtle knowledge gained from experience and incorporated into the routine. I just let DW go on thinking I'm OCD.

Yeah, it bugs me when someone breaks my routines. But I'm not someone who gets upset about much. I can use a different parking space no problem. Though it might make it harder to find my car later. But it makes me wonder what a willy-nilly parker is thinking. Is it more efficient for them to park in a different spot each day? Why would someone do that? Can someone really make it through the day with that little thought about what they are doing? Reminds me of all the people who are not FIRE'ing.
__________________
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,872
While grocery shopping at the big-box store, I was approached by a small, rodentlike man, wearing an Andy Capp-style slouch hat, who asserted that "your husband likes to race me to the deli counter." Andy Ratt said he and his wife had noticed that we, like them, always went to the fancy grocery store across the highway first, then drove to the box store in time to go in when the doors opened.

Ratt's unvarying Saturday routine, it turned out, was to place a large, complicated deli order. Then, while his wife held their place in line, he'd tear around the store filling their cart while the order was filled. Mr. A. only goes to the deli every few weeks to get a particular cheese we like, but being long-legged and a fast walker, he'd unknowingly spoiled Ratt's routine. And Ratt was the type to speak up about such an outrage - no passive-aggressive windshield notes for him!

On an ensuing Saturday morning, Ratt left his slower-moving wife with the cart so he could run to the deli counter and slap the number machine, seconds ahead of Mr. A. He called out to me from the line that they had seen us at the fancy store, knew where we were going next, and "the race was on." (His wife just looked at me and shook her head).

Their order took about 20 minutes to fill, by which time Mr. A., still in line, was fuming. Although the situation has its funny side, both of us were creeped-out by the thought of being "watched" and having our movements calculated. Well, Ratt got what he wanted, as such people often do...we switched our shopping day to Thursday so we wouldn't have to hear from him again.

Amethyst
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
robnplunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Though it might make it harder to find my car later. But it makes me wonder what a willy-nilly parker is thinking. Is it more efficient for them to park in a different spot each day? Why would someone do that? Can someone really make it through the day with that little thought about what they are doing? Reminds me of all the people who are not FIRE'ing.
Probably, they are parking in the first available slot closer to door? Other reasons include being absent minded, don't care much about where to park, has no favorite spot to call his/her own, ..., i.e, don't really care. Parking slots belong to everyone unless there is a designated name tag for one.
__________________
Pura Vida
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #30
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Well, Ratt got what he wanted, as such people often do...we switched our shopping day to Thursday so we wouldn't have to hear from him again.

Amethyst
Wow. That is a bit creepy. OTOH, you've made them, or at least him, so happy in his petty victory, and it cost you both so little.
__________________
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,872
I would totally laugh at myself if someone parked in "my favorite spot" and I caught myself getting annoyed about it. That's what comfy shoes are for...so you can cross large swaths of parking lot on foot, really fast. Comfy shoes. The secret to parking lot independence (PLI). Wear 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Probably, they are parking in the first available slot closer to door? Other reasons include being absent minded, don't care much about where to park, has no favorite spot to call his/her own, ..., i.e, don't really care. Parking slots belong to everyone unless there is a designated name tag for one.
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.
Calico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post

In just the last couple of weeks there have been a few reports on TV about this very thing and the owners have been fined for cruelty to animals. In some cases the dog was taken from the owner. Leaving an animal in a car regardless of cracking windows, putting on a fan, and leaving water doesn't necessarily address the danger to the animal. Dogs pant to cool themselves off and when the temperature rises their bodies are trying to cool off with hot air. They cook from the inside. This is irresponsible behavior for an animal owner. Of course most who do this will try to rationalize or make excuses.

There I feel better.

Cheers!
+5000
__________________
"Let America be the dream the dreamers dreamed, Let it be that great strong land of love, Where never kings connive nor tyrants scheme, That any man be crushed by one above." - Langston Hughes
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ExFlyBoy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
I'm routine oriented, though I consider most of it just being efficient! I definitely have a set way of loading the dishwasher, for example, and will fix any "errors" anyone else makes when they load it. There's an obvious pattern to the load. How hard can it be to recognize that and follow it? The way I do it minimizes the loading and unloading time, though that part is not necessarily self evident. Just subtle knowledge gained from experience and incorporated into the routine. I just let DW go on thinking I'm OCD.

Yeah, it bugs me when someone breaks my routines. But I'm not someone who gets upset about much. I can use a different parking space no problem. Though it might make it harder to find my car later. But it makes me wonder what a willy-nilly parker is thinking. Is it more efficient for them to park in a different spot each day? Why would someone do that? Can someone really make it through the day with that little thought about what they are doing? Reminds me of all the people who are not FIRE'ing.
Sounds mighty OCD to me..and I speak from experience. I'm all about neatness and order whereas my wife is all willy nilly about it. Everything in the house has its place but my DW never got that memo. I came home today and pointed out that she had her stuff spread out over every kitchen counter, all over the dining room table and floor and in the office. I can take it to a point but after a while, I just can't take anymore.

I think I get it from my mother...she had a fear of dying and someone coming in a home that was thrashed. I too have that fear!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
__________________
Founder and Head Lounger @ The Life of Leisure Institute
Retired in 2014 at the Ripe Age of 40.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
robnplunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I'm all about neatness and order whereas my wife is all willy nilly about it. Everything in the house has its place but my DW never got that memo. I came home today and pointed out that she had her stuff spread out over every kitchen counter, all over the dining room table and floor and in the office. I can take it to a point but after a while, I just can't take anymore.
It's the opposite for me and DW and it drives me crazy. I call it nagging and she calls it by many names (I don't care, I am absent minded, I am sloppy, ....). Other than that, DW is perfect.
__________________
Pura Vida
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #35
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,494
I always have to wonder at the rationale of those who just HAVE to have the closest spot to the door. Of the gym. What are they there for and what will happen if they don't get it? I park in the back furthest row to keep door dings to a minimum.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,128
Walt, glad to hear the stent install went well. Be careful for a while.

Even parking my car away from others in parking lots, somehow I have ended up with dings. Guess my car is a "ding magnet".
__________________
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:39 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.
Moscyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 728
I live in a densely occupied city and don't have the luxury of routine things like regular seats, parking spots, usage of same gym equipment at particular times etc. sometimes I go into the gym and find all equipments occupied or yoga classes full.
__________________
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:02 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.
CaliforniaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 846
I like to park in a different spot each time I go to a big box store. Then when I come out I get a lot of mental (sometimes physical) exercise trying to remember where I parked this time, without going first to the place I parked last time. Hmmmm, maybe there is some logic in parking in the same place.
__________________
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.
CaliforniaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:48 AM   #39
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,336
I'm routine oriented, but the routine consists of different things from day to day. Every day consists of a combination of hiking, biking, woodworking, boating, yard work and shopping activities.

I generally hike the same route - just not everyday or any specific days of the week. Same with biking, kayaking and boating. Although I have many types of woodworking projects, the process is the same. And I have a routine for cutting grass where I always start in the front and finish on the garage side.

And I park way out at all stores (helps get my fitbit numbers up)
__________________
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Probably, they are parking in the first available slot closer to door? Other reasons include being absent minded, don't care much about where to park, has no favorite spot to call his/her own, ..., i.e, don't really care. Parking slots belong to everyone unless there is a designated name tag for one.
First available slot closer to the door is a perfectly rational and deterministic algorithm. But it should result in parking in the same spot if the configuration of cars in the lot is the same day to day. A willy nilly (random) parker might also sometimes take the 10th closest available slot. A different one each time, even though the other cars are in their usual spots. I would have to work at doing that.
__________________

__________________
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My head is coming out of the sand, want to help me get oriented? Lucky 7 FIRE and Money 14 10-14-2008 07:45 PM
with fall comes a new routine - what are you looking forward to? retiringat50 Life after FIRE 42 08-20-2008 08:15 AM
how long did it take you to adjust/get into a nonwork routine? retiringat50 Life after FIRE 39 05-20-2008 12:44 PM
Total Stock Index v. Large/Small/Value/Growth routine Rich_by_the_Bay FIRE and Money 33 03-25-2007 09:33 AM
Dividend-oriented vs. value-style ETF dasinsin FIRE and Money 0 11-10-2006 12:53 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:50 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.