Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I had my routine interrupted this morning at the gym. I go and get on the same elliptical everyday. I tend to use the same one as they all differ slightly in their readout, and I like to track how I am doing day to day. I go upstairs at the gym and lo and behold some girl is on MY MACHINE!!! Of course I berated her...wait, no I just went and ran first, and by the time I had finished my run she was off the elliptical and I could do my 30 minutes. So in the end it all worked out.

I do think there is a difference between innocent things like what happened this morning, I have no right to that machine and she just got on it. However I do think there are a few jerks who try to get your goat, like Ratt man Amethyst experienced. At my gym there are two very serious runners that get on the same machines everyday, and everyone in the morning knows this. They run for a good hour. But last year there was this guy who saw them on the machines for a couple of months and then one day started getting on those machines before they did, and he only lasted like 10 minutes and didn't do squat, but they would have to go to other machines and then he would get off the machine. Seemed passive-aggressive to me! But of course he only lasted a month or two longer and then ended up never coming back. So they are happily back running on their machines again. That type of behavior I don't understand.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Funny (I think) stories about parking. In the early 90s I had a white Ford Explorer, a very popular vehicle in the most popular color. One day there was a space on the left of two white Ford Explorers in the parking lot so I parked there. I thought it was funny, three identical cars in a row. I was the leftmost of the three identical cars.

When I went to get my car there were still three white Ford Explorers there, so I went to the leftmost one. It was not my car! Mine was the one in the middle. In the time I was away the white Explorer on the right had left, and another had parked beside me!

Another time at one of my kids soccer games, I went to my car to get some chairs. A little girl asked me "Why are you trying to get into our car?" Ooops, my car was a couple of spaces over.

I saw this happen to others with white Explorers too. Just laughed when I saw it.

Moral of the story, always park in a numbered space, or paint your car purple.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
Funny (I think) stories about parking. In the early 90s I had a white Ford Explorer, a very popular vehicle in the most popular color. One day there was a space on the left of two white Ford Explorers in the parking lot so I parked there. I thought it was funny, three identical cars in a row. I was the leftmost of the three identical cars.

When I went to get my car there were still three white Ford Explorers there, so I went to the leftmost one. It was not my car! Mine was the one in the middle. In the time I was away the white Explorer on the right had left, and another had parked beside me!

Another time at one of my kids soccer games, I went to my car to get some chairs. A little girl asked me "Why are you trying to get into our car?" Ooops, my car was a couple of spaces over.

I saw this happen to others with white Explorers too. Just laughed when I saw it.

Moral of the story, always park in a numbered space, or paint your car purple.
This happened to me too. Perhaps, you and I share the same particular "I am confused and can't find my car" gene. In my case, I opened the door and there was this woman on passenger side looking at me like I was trying to carjack her car. I immediately apologized. DW was right next to me vouching my story so the passenger didn't call 911 or anything. Many more times, I've inserted my key to another's car thinking it was mine.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Clearly, this kind of thinking comes naturally to you and does you good. My brain's wired differently. It would take too much time and mental energy to "think through" such situations as you describe. If I concentrated on the dishwasher, I would have to fix the way other family members load the dishwasher, but then I would be tired, while the others would think I was being too critical. Likewise, working out which parking space is the "next best one" would wear me out. I just want to dump the darn car in a safe spot and get going! Then again, perhaps some other things might come easier to me than to you, and that's why we're all different and yet still interested in FIRE...la la....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
I definitely have a set way of loading the dishwasher, for example, and will fix any "errors" anyone else makes when they load it. There's an obvious pattern to the load. How hard can it be to recognize that and follow it? ......

But it makes me wonder what a willy-nilly parker is thinking. Is it more efficient for them to park in a different spot each day? Why would someone do that? Can someone really make it through the day with that little thought about what they are doing? ....
Old 07-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
Way long ago when I was college, I actually got into another Datsun and started it up with my key.

THEN it dawned on me that something was wrong. It wasn't my car. Still my key worked just fine.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Funny, I read this incident totally differently. I would consider two people, taking up two desirable machines for a whole hour, somewhat arrogant. If they need more than 30 minutes, why can't they run outside? Why does the fact they've made a habit of an hour, entitle them to anything?

Meanwhile, because of my scoliosis, I can't run outside at all - and am very limited even on a treadmill. So, I would not wish to wait around for a whole hour for the 2 "Serious"runners. I'd expect them to understand (without my having to confess my impairment- there's passive-aggressive, and then there's TMI) that I will only run for a frivolous 10 minutes, and then the 2 Mr. Atlases can have their whole hour and be...blessed to them.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post

At my gym there are two very serious runners that get on the same machines everyday, ...run for a good hour. But last year there was this guy who...started getting on those machines before they did, and he only lasted like 10 minutes and didn't do squat, but they would have to go to other machines and then he would get off the machine. Seemed passive-aggressive to me! But of course he only lasted a month or two longer and then ended up never coming back. So they are happily back running on their machines again. That type of behavior I don't understand.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Funny, I read this incident totally differently. I would consider two people, taking up two desirable machines for a whole hour, somewhat arrogant. If they need more than 30 minutes, why can't they run outside? Why does the fact they've made a habit of an hour, entitle them to anything?

Meanwhile, because of my scoliosis, I can't run outside at all - and am very limited even on a treadmill. So, I would not wish to wait around for a whole hour for the 2 "Serious"runners. I'd expect them to understand (without my having to confess my impairment- there's passive-aggressive, and then there's TMI) that I will only run for a frivolous 10 minutes, and then the 2 Mr. Atlases can have their whole hour and be...blessed to them.

Amethyst

Well at that time in the morning (5 am!) there are easily half a dozen empty treadmills, so no one begrudges them taking a machine for an hour. My assumption is that they, like me, want to use the same machine every day so you can get a better read on any improvements. Each machine is calibrated a bit different, so I know I prefer the same machine so I can see that one day I went x distance and the next x+1, etc. Also do keep in mind, they said nothing at all, they just moved to other machines. But to ME it seemed that 'he' was going to that machine because he didn't want them on it. They never indicated it bothered them at all.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:09 PM   #48

All these gym stories make me very happy that I can get all my exercise in our fairly well appointed home gym and neighborhood. Sometimes the wife wants to 'use the gym' the same time I do, but that is OK...I just grab a bowl of ice cream and wait patiently.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:49 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

DH is routine oriented, and would notice if folks take "his" spot. Even I still give him his space in the mornings, since his morning routine is important to him (luckily, I'm not a morning person, anyway). I can be as compulsive as he, but I'm goal oriented rather than routine oriented. I adapt to change more easily. Honestly, I look forward to falling in to rhythms of routines as part of retirement. I think that can be very calming and comforting. I've started a bit of a morning routine myself. I need an evening shut-down routine, too...
Old 07-25-2014, 03:06 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I always have to wonder at the rationale of those who just HAVE to have the closest spot to the door. Of the gym. What are they there for and what will happen if they don't get it? I park in the back furthest row to keep door dings to a minimum.

And you get a tiny bit more exercise to boot. You gotta laugh at humans who drive a mile to the GYM and have to take the closest spot so they can run an hour on the treadmill...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #51

I hate it when I can't find my reading glasses and they are on top of my head.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
And you get a tiny bit more exercise to boot. You gotta laugh at humans who drive a mile to the GYM and have to take the closest spot so they can run an hour on the treadmill...
Depends on the weather. I like to park in the sparse spots too, but in the snow, sleet, heavy rain, I park up close like everyone else.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

My wife had to take the Myers-Briggs test for the nth time at work this week and once again came out as a INTJ. In the detailed analysis, it says that she is a very scheduled person (likes routines). I, on the other end, am not very routine oriented though I still score as a INTJ. I don't care where I park or sit and I don't care for rigid schedules.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
My wife had to take the Myers-Briggs test for the nth time at work this week and once again came out as a INTJ. In the detailed analysis, it says that she is a very scheduled person (likes routines). I, on the other end, am not very routine oriented though I still score as a INTJ. I don't care where I park or sit and I don't care for rigid schedules.
I have taken the Myers-Briggs test multiple times and I am always INTJ. Yet I am not big on routine. These things are only generalizations.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

My car is sunshine yellow (Dakargelb, technically). I can park it anywhere. If I can't see it, I can usually find it reflected off a neighboring car.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
On the same note - I had a laugh when I saw valet parking at the Scottsdale Lifetime Fitness. And lots of patrons were using it