Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am still 18 inside. Something must be stuck.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I don't mind being a "classic" (OK, an antique ).

Never changed my "style", just for the sake of change.

What is this style thing you speak off?

Old 11-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I find the classic looks work best for me. They are elegant without being old fashioned, mature without being aged, and youngish without making me look like an old fool who won't admit his age. They also inspire looks of admiration from attractive females.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I am still 18 inside. Something must be stuck.
Must be true. I am still 26 inside, much older than you.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For folks who get their sense of worth by following trends and being current, enjoy yourselves and your smug superiority by labeling the rest of us as stuck in a time warp. For those of us with a personal sense of style and comfort which suits ourselves and is not dependent on fashion trends, let us boldly enjoy our time warp. Personally I'm much more interested in function than fashion. I'll have a vent (or not) in a jacket if doing so has some useful purpose. I cannot imagine wanting one (or not) because it is in (or out) of style this season.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
How do you know if you are stuck in a time warp?

- You are wearing the same jeans you wore ten years ago.

- It has been more than five years since you've modified your hairstyle or changed hair products.

- You can't remember when you changed the silhouette of your jacket. For example, more current jackets for men are slightly shorter and have side vents. If you are wearing jackets with no vents you may be a decade behind.

- Your shoes have square toes.

- The frames of your glasses (sun, readers or and prescription) haven't been updated in five years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
What is this style thing you speak off?
The jeans? They fit a lot better now.

"Hairstyle"? How about 9+ years since my last haircut?

"Side vents"? "Jackets"?!

"Shoes"?!?

Glasses: whew, finally I'm hip. I change the frames every six months-- once with each new presbyopic prescription...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:20 AM   #27

I'm in style. For 1986.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:59 AM   #28

I'm wearing the same brand and size of jeans as 38 years ago, but the oldest pair I wear is about 15 years old

It's been at least 20 years since my hairstyle has been "modified". But the color is constantly changing. No hair products.

I have no idea what a silhouette or vent is in a jacket.

1 pair of my shoes has square toes

The frames (and prescription) of my glasses haven't been updated in five years, and my sunglasses are at least 10 years old.

So I guess I'm in a time warp - and I also don't care.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:48 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am so paranoid about wearing Mom jeans or pants that I bought these below the waist pants that keep falling down !
From my experience over the last few years it appears that men's jeans/slacks have the same problem. I keep trying new ones hoping they will fit comfortably. Instead the rise is so short it must be what wearing a thong feels like.

Cheers!
Old 11-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
For folks who get their sense of worth by following trends and being current, enjoy yourselves and your smug superiority by labeling the rest of us as stuck in a time warp. For those of us with a personal sense of style and comfort which suits ourselves and is not dependent on fashion trends, let us boldly enjoy our time warp. Personally I'm much more interested in function than fashion. I'll have a vent (or not) in a jacket if doing so has some useful purpose. I cannot imagine wanting one (or not) because it is in (or out) of style this season.
+1
Old 11-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I'm retired.

Logger jeans(Big Bill), suspenders WITH button loops, Five Brothers shirt, Boz boots and a Swain's General Store cap.

Buddy Holley on CD.

Looking for a nice 'rat rod' or well primered old pickup.

Screw progress.

heh heh heh - Mother nature(time) is altering my hairstyle more than I would like and I get real curmudgeony thinking about it. .
Old 11-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #32

[QUOTE=Ronstar;1129408]
It's been at least 20 years since my hairstyle has been "modified". But the color is constantly changing. No hair products.
[QUOTE]

My hair has "self modified" in the traditional male ways. Otherwise, not much change. None in pursuit of style. Only replace clothing, etc. upon wear out.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Sounds like somebody who is trying to convince folks that they should go out and spend money every few years and replace all their clothes, shoes, and get a new hairstyle. No thanks and there are a number of things I've had for a lot longer than five years and still wear.
+1
Old 11-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #34

I wear my clothes until they either wear out or until they don't fit me any more (I have gained a few pounds and waistline inches over the years). So most of what I wear is not that old except for some coats and sweaters.

Until my ladyfriend bought me a pair of jeans a few years ago, I had not owned a pair since the mid-1980s.

Until a few years ago, I used to keep my hair slightly longer in the winter to keep my head and ears a little warmer. But I found that unnecessary the last few years so I keep it the same length in the summer and winter.

I have no cell phone, I-pod, or Blackberry. My car's windows and door locks have to be operated manually. So I am in a time warp.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Here’s an article folks will enjoy Joe Lupo: Are You Stuck In A Time Warp?

Read the article for suggestions on how to improve one’s look.
I thought everyone goes out and spends extra $ to get that retro look
Old 11-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I can still wear some Calvin Klein jeans I bought in 1986. They are a little tighter, but they are wearable! How on earth is this a bad thing?

Amethyst

"You are wearing the same jeans you wore ten years ago."
Have you noticed that those old pants have a very high waist? They really accentuate my belly.

Also drop shoulder sweaters. Those things were in, I think, in either 80's or 90's.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Time Warp Fashions

http://www.sync-blog.com/wp-content/...ure-Show-b.jpg
Old 11-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Yep, wearing comfortable clothing every day. It's getting cool, so it's long-sleeve T-shirts or flannel. Yes, flannel, and I don't care who knows it. Jeans year-round.

Shoes--whatever Sketchers sneaker best fits my foot, and they go through a life-cycle: 9 months as "nice shoes for wearing occasionally with friends", 9 months as daily dogs, 9 months as lawn mowing shoes, then into the bin for wearing when I paint something. I then throw them out, though a less scrupulous soul would donate them to Goodwill and take the tax deduction ("hey, these are better than most folks in the world have!")
Old 11-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Time warp? I'm posting from a NeXT Cube...

Pretty sure I'm doing the Time Warp again.

I've resurrected another NeXT Cube. This one used to be my home office server. I just discovered that the archiver I was running violated our document retention policy back in the 1990s. Horrors!

I seem to have a few hundred megabytes of mail dating from shortly after Brian created Mail.app up to a bit after the NeXT/Apple merger. Easly a book's worth of interesting content...
Old 11-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #40
Administrator

M Paquette, I think you won as the furthest back in a time warp here!

I genuinely like clothing in styles from the late 1950's and early 1960's classic styles. Recently I thought I needed new glasses, and then casually discovered that an old pair from about 2004 had the right correction for me. So, I am wearing those now.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote