Join Early Retirement Today
Are you tilted? (Frank Armstrong)
Old 06-03-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Are you tilted? (Frank Armstrong)

It’s really pretty easy to design a more “efficient” or optimal portfolio. It’s actually elementary stuff taught in almost every graduate finance class. It’s not a state secret, and it’s not rocket science.

First, we can jettison a boatload of risk by simply shifting from a domestic to a global portfolio. We will have an almost identical rate of return expectation at significantly lower risk. (A global portfolio would have a proportional weighting of all the global equities rather than just the United States. To greatly oversimplify, in round numbers this might be a 50/50 domestic/foreign portfolio.)

Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Are you tilted? (Frank Armstrong)
Old 06-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

These efficient frontier guys are too much- they all make their money by telling others that real money cannot be made, and billing them for this service.

I prefer to emulate people who have made money in the markets, not servicing* the markets.

haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

we can jettison a boatload of risk by simply shifting from a domestic to a global portfolio
i suspect this is a gross oversimplification.* most all US individual investors live within country, and when investing domestically avoid a boatload of risk that foreign investors assume when investing in the US.* this reduced risk should result in a portfolio more heavily weighted toward domestic issues.*

stated a bit differently, take two identical investements which differ only in that one is domestic, the other foreign.* the foreign investment is subject to currency risk while the domestic issue is not.* add to this additional risks reflecting relative policitcal stablility, legal protection, accounting standards and transparency, market efficiency etc. etc. etc. and the result would/should be an overweighting of domestic investments.

d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, another advisor I had read advised somthing similar.* I think it was Meriman, but I'm not positive.* Their argument was that you need to split your domestic investments in half and go International because you do not want what happened to the Japanese market happen to you.* To a point I agree, but not going a full 50% international.* * I feel like if the US markets were to implode, then just about everything would implode as well (except perhaps China )
Here's to FIRE
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote