Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Whenever I see this stuff I get defensive. Basically I need to know it will not happen to me. I suspect this is a common emotion. So one might think "I never go to the theater to see something like this, let alone at 12 midnight". Is that a logical defense? Not sure.

One positive about this sort of coverage, it makes you think about how to respond should some deranged person start shooting.

I think I'd play dead. That would be very hard to do as the more common response would be to run away.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Whenever I see this stuff I get defensive. Basically I need to know it will not happen to me. I suspect this is a common emotion. So one might think "I never go to the theater to see something like this, let alone at 12 midnight". Is that a logical defense? Not sure.

One positive about this sort of coverage, it makes you think about how to respond should some deranged person start shooting.

I think I'd play dead. That would be very hard to do as the more common response would be to run away.
I never worry about "what I'd do" at all thanks to the 91 movie Grand Canyon (a personal fav) and the scene between Kevin Cline and Danny Glover early on. "When a lawyer's (Kevin Kline) car breaks down in a dangerous Los Angeles neighborhood, a tow-truck driver (Danny Glover) arrives just in time to save his life." His line about sharks was profoundly true IMO and it has stuck with me ever since. I tried to find a video clip to post but couldn't...sorry. YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think the media has turned all this stuff into entertainment. Not much real news like it used to be. Remember the days of Walter Cronkite?
Old 07-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #44

Can I ask why this keeps happening in Colorado a lot ? Is it something to do with the state laws, the culture or something ? I'd be interested in having it explained since I've been to Colorado a few times and I honestly think it is a great state.. probably top 5 in the Union.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Can I ask why this keeps happening in Colorado a lot ? Is it something to do with the state laws, the culture or something ? I'd be interested in having it explained since I've been to Colorado a few times and I honestly think it is a great state.. probably top 5 in the Union.
That is right! We are all crazed gunmen just waiting for our opportunity! Its much worse than scorpions, chiggers and armadillos they have in Texas. You should all move there instead.

- Will Rogers
Old 07-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
It is a great state. We do have very loose gun laws, however. Good luck ever seeing that change. It will NEVER, EVER happen as long as all lawmakers are in the pocket of or afraid of the NRA.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Highly recommended to not get involved in news stories. I mean, who is to say these people suffered more than those injured or killed in Syria this month, or in the floods of China? I find the higher valuation of American lives curious in this context.
And as for crazy people? They are damn near everywhere.

I feel the same way. Why are those 12 lives lost in Colorado any more relevant than the other thousands that die every day in our own communities and abroad? At any given time there are at least a couple active genocidal dictators somewhere in the world efficiently killing their people or some group of people. Locally we have had lots of drowning deaths and drunk driving deaths this summer. Why don't we see more headline coverage of genocidal killings or drownings or drunk drivers? It all boils down to the mass media business model. The need to maximize eyeballs on the screen/page for ad sales purposes. Relevancy of news has nothing to do with it.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
I fear that the media circus is just the kind of attention that makes potential unbalanced future perpetrators more attracted to attempting spectacular crimes, not to mention gives potential copycats ideas.
This. I cringe EVERY time the media speak their names, show their faces and examine their lives. You are giving these sick and tormented minds exactly what they crave -- attention, fame, notoriety. Maybe they should stop giving them what they crave?

They figured this out in sports telecasts years ago when they stopped showing idiots running out on to the field. But the news media don't get it.

I wish the media would refuse to divulge their identities the way they do for victims of sexual assault. For different reasons, obviously.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 07-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I feel the same way. Why are those 12 lives lost in Colorado any more relevant than the other thousands that die every day in our own communities and abroad? At any given time there are at least a couple active genocidal dictators somewhere in the world efficiently killing ....
What we need is for the news to have one of those tickers running at the bottom of the screen. Then we need to show all the ways of unnaturally dieing in a simple graphic and the probabilities. Then the tickers could update the deaths due to those categories on a daily basis. Example:

Todays entertainment:
...shooting murders 15....African famines 150....mideast suicides 125...airplane disasters 2....drug violence 112....genocidal dictators 87
Old 07-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
I mostly tune out when the story gets extensive coverage, but I do wish they would cover stories like this a lot less. I fear that the media circus is just the kind of attention that makes potential unbalanced future perpetrators more attracted to attempting spectacular crimes, not to mention gives potential copycats ideas.
Thanks, that's what I was asking in post #1. And Ziggy reinforced with his sport coverage example.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 07-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Its natural to feel shocked, saddened, to feel empathy for the victims, to wonder how to avoid such a situation and pray or send condolences to the victim families. But I can't help but believe that it's the media telling us that we HAVE to keep watching so we can learn, so we can figure out how to prevent it in the future. It's the media telling us that we NEED to feel shocked and saddened for these folks, implying that to keep watching and learn details about them, to identify and "connect" is somehow reaching out and providing condolence. I know that these are natural human feelings, regardless of what the media says, but the media are exploiting these natural feelings to retain eyeballs, and I find the patronizing manipulation infuriating, which is another reason I don't watch. It's not that I don't care, it's that I don't need the media telling me how I should feel or respond. It's insidious.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Its natural to feel shocked, saddened, to feel empathy for the victims, to wonder how to avoid such a situation and pray or send condolences to the victim families. But I can't help but believe that it's the media telling us that we HAVE to keep watching so we can learn, so we can figure out how to prevent it in the future. It's the media telling us that we NEED to feel shocked and saddened for these folks, implying that to keep watching and learn details about them, to identify and "connect" is somehow reaching out and providing condolence. I know that these are natural human feelings, regardless of what the media says, but the media are exploiting these natural feelings to retain eyeballs, and I find the patronizing manipulation infuriating, which is another reason I don't watch. It's not that I don't care, it's that I don't need the media telling me how I should feel or respond. It's insidious.
Well said. This is a big problem with so many 24/7 news outlets. Well, at least now they can turn some attention to the Jackson family problems...Jackson Family Shocker Katherine Loses Custody Of Michaels Kids| E! Online
Old 07-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack
[rant] I am. What happened is awful, tragic to be sure. But all the media coverage about the event, and especially the deranged shooter himself might help create these monsters. I have to believe these things happen because desparate losers/loners are seeking ultimately seeking attention. Why else would someone shoot total strangers at random? All the coverage on this shooter, may be appealing to another desparate individual out there who feels trapped with nothing to lose. We give them a way to come out of the shadows for 15 minutes of fame. I wonder what would happen if there was less coverage and what there was focused entirely on victims and their families, actions that might prevent a recurrence and less if at all on the perpetrator? Ignore the sicko as much as possible, don't make them (in)famous... [/rant]
This guy is mentally ill. You'd probably see similar crimes in other countries if it were as easy to get these type of ammunition. Although we've seen some cases of this, it's way less than the US.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I have been tired after the first day...

Now this:

In wake of tragedy, lawyers step in: Colorado shooting survivor plans suit, says publicist | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

The first lawsuit.... like the theater should have something in place to prevent some deranged mass murderer from shooting people...
Old 07-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

I admit to being a low-level news junkie so I admit am not really sick of the coverage, but I have noticed that the press typically is not using the suspect's middle name, unlike other infamous murderers. I wonder if that's a subtle attempt to not give him even a perceived glorified special status.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I admit to being a low-level news junkie so I admit am not really sick of the coverage, but I have noticed that the press typically is not using the suspect's middle name, unlike other infamous murderers. I wonder if that's a subtle attempt to not give him even a perceived glorified special status.

Assuming this piece of slime does not end up in a mental institution, I would imagine he will have a life expectancy of 5 minutes in prison.

- Will Rogers
Old 07-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Assuming this piece of slime does not end up in a mental institution, I would imagine he will have a life expectancy of 5 minutes in prison.
I suspect he'll end up like Jared Loughner, the guy who shot so many people in Arizona including Congresswoman Gabby Giffords. Not fit for trial and taken care of at our expense. At least they're off the streets.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I suspect he'll end up like [name deleted], the guy who shot so many people in Arizona including Congresswoman Gabby Giffords. Not fit for trial and taken care of at our expense. At least they're off the streets.
Depends on the details. The guy who shot Giffords (whom I refuse to name) was clearly a certifiable kook. From what I hear, this guy spent months building up his arsenal to launch the assault. Hard to argue for insanity with that much premeditation and planning.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 07-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

From the one appearance in court, in my opinion, the guy looks pretty insane. Of course, pictures can be deceiving. Guess we'll know in time. Some try to fake insane (Manson, the person that took Elizabeth Smart) but they turned out just evil.

I think though, one that plans out and premeditates still can be found insane. Hinkley comes to mind.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
From the one appearance in court, in my opinion, the guy looks pretty insane.
I'd have to say there is no doubt he is insane, who would do such a thing if they were sane? You might kill people you know, people that you hate or people who have hurt you but total strangers?

Certifiably 110% insane and now that's decided I say execute him immediately. For a sane person life in prison is it's own hell but for this guy it's just where he is.